Indian American donates $20m to native village

  • anjalisaga
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2007
      This is a nice story - some decent rich people do exist who r not just bored brats ..

      Indian American donates $20m to native village

      IANS
      Published: July 31, 2007, 23:12
      http://www.gulfnews.com/world/India/10143367.html

      New York: An Indian American, who made millions as a neurosurgeon and
      lived a lavish life - once owning a Rolls-Royce - five Mercedes-Benzes
      and an airplane has donated $20 million (Dh75.2 million) to his native
      village in Kerala.

      Dr Kumar Bahuleyan, 81, who was born to a Dalit familly in India,
      decided to donate his personal fortune as a gratitude to his village,
      to establish a neurosurgery hospital, a health clinic and a spa resort
      in Chemmanakary, in Kottayam district of Kerala. "I was born with
      nothing; I was educated by the people of that village, and this is
      what I owe to them," Bahuleyan said in Buffalo where he has lived
      since 1973.

      "I'm in a state of nirvana, eternal nirvana," he said. "I have nothing
      else to achieve in life. This was my goal, to help my people. I can
      die any time, as a happy man." The urge to do something for his
      village arose some 20 to 25 years ago, when Bahuleyan returned to
      Chemmanakary and was struck by how little it had changed.