Re: [MT63] Re:small box

  • Paulus
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2000
      Hello Andy,

      This is the secondary channel, which can send text when the TX signal goes
      idle.
      Pse have an look at Preferences, there is an box to put the text in for this
      secondary channel.

      Cheerio now
      73 de Paul, pa0ocd
    • Coombe Down
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2000
        Andrew,

        As Paul says, the little box contains the "Secondary Channel" text, which is
        sent when the software has nothing else to do.

        This technique is only available on the IZ8BLY software. It works in a
        rather clever way - when MT63 is not busy (the TX buffer is empty), it has
        to send something to keep the RF part of the system happy, and so it sends
        (normally) a NULL (0x00). Nino discovered that any of the unprintable
        characters in the range 0x00 to 0x07 will work just as well, and these
        characters can be used to slowly send data while you are thinking what to
        type next. The technique is slow, only three bits per "null", but quite
        adequate for a fixed greeting or beacon message.

        By the way, the data is handled as a bit-stream, and encoded using the G3PLX
        Varicode - thus it also handles all the European extended ASCII symbols
        (which MT63 normally does not). It also takes advantage of all the MT63
        error recovery system, as the "nulls" are separated out at the very end of
        the receiving process, just before the text goes to the screen.

        As Paul mentiuoned, you set the text in Preferences. The message is fixed,
        but can be quite long, as you discovered.

        Just thought you'd like to know.

      • Andrew Nicholson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2000
          Hi Murray and paul.
          Thankyou for the information, as a SWL I do not transmit so understanding
          the TX does not come naturally hi hi.
          Very nice Replies and writen in an understandable way.
          (not full of technical jargon) Nice one .
          Best Regards and 73
          Andy N SWL.
          > As Paul says, the little box contains the "Secondary Channel" text, which
          is
          The message is fixed,
          Murray ZL1BPU
        • Andrew Nicholson