MT-63 Fine QSOs

  • John Hirth
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 1999
      Hello all,

      I had a couple of very fine QSOs on 20m MT63 at about 1600-1700 UTC
      today with OK2WO and PA0OCD using both 1KHZ and 500HZ short and long
      interleave. The frequency of 14.347 USB is not a good one here in this
      part of the USA, as there are almost always SSB stations on that QRG,
      especially on the weekend. Paul, PA0OCD and I went to 14.349 at 500Hz
      for a nice long chat, and only had to go to 1KHz after he had some
      strong QRM. (Paul's 10 watts and indoor magnetic loop are very fine
      indeed.) For those with precise TX/RX this frequency may be a solution
      to the QRM problem here in the US, as there we're simply very high in
      the audio passband of those SSB'ers who camp out on 14.347. It does
      limit us to no more than 1KHz mode, though.

      I'm interested in hearing from some USA MT'ers more experienced than I
      am about how this mode is viewed by the FCC. Does it indeed belong only
      in the voice portion of the bands? If so, this would rule out 30 meters
      for us, which would eliminate a good opportunity to use an otherwise
      rather quiet band for this mode.

      In any case, great fun experimenting, and watching fine copy through
      some serious QSB, QRM, QRN.

      73 and I'll be listening around the 347s, or so.
      John W2KI
    • Les Keppie
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 27, 1999
        Hi John and all Mt63 ops

        Re your comments on the freq - This freq was originally
        picked
        to accomodate the 2 khz wide mode - I would be first to
        suggest
        that it is less than optimum - in VK according to the rules
        we are
        only allowed to use modes up to 1.12 khz wide in the digital
        area of the band [here 14070 to 14112]
        I would like to put a comment forward that maybe we should
        look
        in an area around 14110.5 suppressed carrier for a
        permanent
        home for mt63 - I know there are a number of paket stations
        operating in this area but these will not worry mt63- would
        like
        to hear comments/suggestions from other mt63 users as to the
        suitability
        of this freq in other regions

        de les
        Les Keppie ARS VK2DSG
        Philip Street
        Duri N.S.W.
        AUSTRALIA

        Modes in use

        : Amtor Pactor RTTY Clover
        : Psk31- Feldhell- MTHell -Mt63-1k & 2k
        : SSTV

        Sponsor ----------------------------

        > ~ FREE Games & CA$H Prizes! ~ $55,000+ Awarded
        Monthly ~
        > Welcome to Gamesville.com-- Home of the World's Biggest &
        Best Free Games
        > Play Three-Eyed Bingo, Quick-Draw Poker, Pop Quiz &
        Picturama FREE!
        ">Click Here</a>

        --------------
        > - The MT63 Reflector -
        > MT63@onelist.com

      • Hamish Moffatt
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 27, 1999
          On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 05:59:51AM +1100, Les Keppie wrote:
          > that it is less than optimum - in VK according to the rules
          > we are
          > only allowed to use modes up to 1.12 khz wide in the digital
          > area of the band [here 14070 to 14112]

          A fairly nasty regulation I must say. The rules say you can run
          up to 6kHz wide FM or AM in that band, but not more than 1.12kHz
          for digital? :-(

          Hamish VK3SB
          --
          Hamish Moffatt Mobile: +61 412 011 176 hamish@...