MT63-SB tests success !

  • Paulus
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 20, 1999
      Hello all,

      We just finished an long test with MT63 for the soundcard ( Beta 0.9 on
      Nino's website)
      YL2KF , IZ8BLY and myself could chat for about 2 hours using the 500 hz, 1
      khz and 2 khz mode with long interleave.
      The 1khz and 2 khz could combat perfectly the QRM (strong fone signals and
      even strong psk31 there hi), and our signals were weaker then the QRM !
      I tested the compatibility during this 3 way QSO with the EVM56 for the 1
      khz and 2 khz mode, and all was compatible.
      Will have to do the 500 hz mode on EVM56 soon.
      So well done Nino !

      You have to set the Date format to dd/MM/jj , but it will be changed soon in
      an future upgrade.
      The & (ampersand) character will finish the TX but problem is an bit that is
      not sure if all typed characters are being send.
      So best not to type to fast hi hi.

      Hearing again around 14.347 USB MT63 signals so will look aorund who is
      there.

      So give MT63 SB an try soon.
      Best is we agree on calling CQ for the 1 khz wide mode with long interleave
      using USB !.

      Cheerio now
      have an fb weekend
      73 de Paul, pa0ocd
    • forrerj@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 20, 1999
        Paul et al:

        Congratulations all!

        Seems like you guys are having a lot of fun. A question:
        How do you annonce yourselves, i.e., CW ID or voice
        announcement?

        Johan, KC7WW

        >From: "Paulus" <paulstra@...>
        >
        >Hello all,
        >
        >We just finished an long test with MT63 for the soundcard ( Beta 0.9 on
        >Nino's website)
        >YL2KF , IZ8BLY and myself could chat for about 2 hours using the 500 hz, 1
        >khz and 2 khz mode with long interleave.
        >The 1khz and 2 khz could combat perfectly the QRM (strong fone signals and
        >even strong psk31 there hi), and our signals were weaker then the QRM !
        >I tested the compatibility during this 3 way QSO with the EVM56 for the 1
        >khz and 2 khz mode, and all was compatible.
        >Will have to do the 500 hz mode on EVM56 soon.
        >So well done Nino !
        >
        >You have to set the Date format to dd/MM/jj , but it will be changed soon in
        >an future upgrade.
        >The & (ampersand) character will finish the TX but problem is an bit that is
        >not sure if all typed characters are being send.
        >So best not to type to fast hi hi.
        >
        >Hearing again around 14.347 USB MT63 signals so will look aorund who is
        >there.
        >
        >So give MT63 SB an try soon.
        >Best is we agree on calling CQ for the 1 khz wide mode with long interleave
        >using USB !.
        >
        >Cheerio now
        >have an fb weekend
        >73 de Paul, pa0ocd

      • Coombe Down
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 20, 1999
          Congrats to everyone, and especially Nino for his software!

          Well done! I will look out for you this evening (your Sunday
          morning) on 14.347 to see what I can hear.

          We need to sort out a mode to call in, and also a way to
          clearly indicate the mode being used.

          Johan, in most countries there is no need to ID in any other
          mode than the one in use, but with the rareness of MT-63,
          most of us in the past have been identifying in Morse.

          I recommend something like "de ZL1BPU MT63 xx" where
          "xx" is the mode. In the past we used the name of the EVM
          file, but I would recommend we quickly think up abbreviations
          for the standard speeds and interleave factors.

          I suggested to Nino the other day that we use "A" to mean
          500 Hz, "B" for 1000 Hz, and "C" for 2000 Hz, and "0" for
          short interleave and "1" for long, so for example 1 kHz long
          interleave would be:

          "de ZL1BPU B1"

          Please let's discuss how we should best do this - your
          comments are welcome. You don't have to like my
          suggestion!

        • Paulus
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 20, 1999
            Hello Johan,

            Yes that was an tricky question hi about making announcements.
            We went from Psk31 to MT63, and think as soon as an CWID is built in (in the
            MT63 SB windows version) , we can announce then with CWID also the
            Bandwidth (0.5, 1 or 2) and interleave short or long and perhaps something
            which is not yet ready.

            Cheerio now
            73 de Paul, PA0OCD
          • Paulus
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 20, 1999
              Hello Murray, will try to be there Sunday morning, but that is always an
              busy day.
              Will have to try in the afternoon starting at 1200 UTC an Slowfeldhell test
              with HB9JOI at 144.334.000 MHz and Hb9JOI is about 600 km away from me.
              Running then about 100 watts into an 10 db antenna, so very moderate.
              With our last test with FSK31, an few words were copied at the other side
              and condx were normal, so not very good.
              So hope Slowfeldhell will prove to work out fine, and off course we will try
              an other mode next time hi.
              Perhaps the V-FSK-CW mode from VK2ZTO ?

              Cheeri now Murray
              73 de Paul
            • Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 23, 1999
                Hello,

                What is the latest "official" version of the MT63 EVM code?
                The most recent mt63asc.asm I have is dated 20-DEC-98 in the
                comments at the top. There seem to be a few .CLD files floating
                around, but I cannot tell if they have any fundamental changes
                to the code, or simply different assembly-time options set.

                Thanks,

                Doug Braun
                NA1DB
              • Murray Greenman
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 23, 1999
                  Doug,
                  The latest version of the MT63 source code is a rather moveable feast! There
                  is
                  a version archived on my web site for interest's sake (and to make the mode
                  public domain for Part 97 purposes for you poor US amateurs who live in fear
                  of the FCC!).

                  The .CLD files for the EVM on my web site
                  http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/MT63/MT63.html
                  are the stable versions, and are believed to be the latest. There are
                  several versions, built
                  with different compile options, as you suggest. There are versions for:

                  500 Hz short interleave (MT500.cld)
                  1000 Hz short and long interleave (MT63.cld and MT13.cld resp.)
                  2000 Hz long interleave (MT12.cld)

                  MT63.cld is older than the rest and does not support CWID. MT13 is the
                  most widely used at present.

                  If you want to build your own, you will really have to contact Pawel SP9VRC
                  for the latest source.

                  Once my web site is sorted out over the next few days I will host the EVM,
                  Linux and Win 95 software, and hope to keep it up to date.

                  Doug, if you get hold of the source from Pawel, how about writing us a
                  decent Windows GUI for the EVM version, with mode switching, download
                  to the EVM using PLXBOOT, CWID, full duplex and a type-ahead buffer?

                • Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 23, 1999
                    Do you have the source code that the below-mentioned .cld files were built from?

                    I was under the impression that Pawel has given out newer versions since I last got one
                    from him. The source code I have is dated 20-DEC-98, and has the hard-coded CW ID.
                    It supports compile-time selection of the 500/1000/2000 bandwidths, but I do not
                    see how to set the interleave in it.

                    Doug
                    NA1DB