Anyone for Coquelet?

  • Coombe Down
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3 2:26 AM
      Hi,
      I have recently been given all the technical details for the
      Belgian MFSK mode Coquelet, which transmits each
      CCITT No. 2 character as a sequential pair of tones.

      I would LOVE to try it on the air, to compare it with
      other more modern modes. Is anybody willing to code the
      Motorola DSP for me? I can do the PC User Interface
      (for DOS) if necessary.

      Alternatively, a sound card program would be good too.
      Coquelet is a great application for DSP, since it
      requires 12 concurrent bandpass filters (maybe these
      days an FFT solution would be better).

      Any volunteers? I'll do all the translation from the original
      French!

    • f1usa
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3 5:42 AM
        Dear Murray,

        I am the owner of two french military "syst�mes coquelets" in perfect state, with power supplies, accessories and replacement parts.
        I confirm : it is originally a Belgium design. An amazing one if we consider the design date (late 50's).

        >Any volunteers? I'll do all the translation from the original French!

        Alors, je peux parler fran�ais ;-)

        Do you have all the coquelet specs ?

        My "syst�mes coquelets" comes with a user & technical manual, with some schematics, and tables.

        I can "scannerised" (100 dpi, black & white, low weight) the most important pages (tech stuff).

        French army use it mainly (in the mid of the sixties) with HF AM 2-12 MHz 15W AN/GRC-9 rigs (US licence) or HF SSB 2-12 MHz 180W
        TR-VM-10B rigs (french made : Thomson) or (at the beginning of the seventies) VHF 26-72 MHz FM 15 W TR-PP-13 rigs (french made :
        Thomson).

        Anyway, what an internet Dx : New-zealand is the French antipodal country ;-)

        Best 73 de F1USA, St�phane, (Oleron Island - France)
      • Johan Forrer
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3 8:55 AM
          Murray,

          I may be able to help someone interested in porting some
          code to the EVM --- some years ago, a G4 ham gave me the
          source code for a Piccolo implementation on an Analog
          Devices DSP. I did not really had the time to use it,
          but know the principles quite well now after studying
          the code.

          An effective implementation is not so obvious, that is if you
          want something that is a cut above the average. This
          implementation did use various stages of decimation
          mixing to get all possible energy recovered -- not a brute
          force FFT approach where in the end only a few bins are
          of real interest. The performance specifications that he
          showed me was quite impressive. On his request, I was
          not to make the implementation public. I think he wanted
          to see whether he could drum up some commercial interest.

          We discussed Coquelet and Piccolo at the DCC at the time and
          the general consensus was that the technology was so old that
          perhaps it was better spending time on more modern technology
          based on waveform and coding innovations. That is about
          the time that Pawel invented Slow BPSK -- that is what PSK31
          is now called. The rest is history. MT63 followed after that.

          So, any takers?

          Johan, KC7WW