40m digital bulletin schedule

  • kb3fxi
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2009
      Hello all,

      Several operators and groups in digital emcomm are considering a bulletin transmission on a fixed 40m frequency and schedule.

      The plan would be to first transmit a short/concise 16/500 Olivia message for far reaching weak signal work followed by a more detailed MT63 bulletin. I would imagine that the two transmissions combined wouldn't take more that 5 minutes of airtime at the most, including the time to switch between the two modes.

      In both transmissions we could give an email address for propagation reports. Also, we could rotate through different stations for the transmissions.

      We're looking at Saturdays at 2pm local, 1800z as a possible schedule.

      My thought with the bulletin schedule covers several points.

      1) Propagation testing for daytime ops when 80m gets very difficult at times. I picked 2pm Eastern because this is usually when 80m starts to get really tough.
      2) I think a bulletin schedule would help bring new ops aboard by allowing them to copy the bulletins, while sitting at their station, in a very low-pressure way, and hopefully some will respond by email where we could encourage them to check in on the many digital nets popping up around the country
      3) Finally, I think the bulletins would encourage the idea of leaving a rig and FLDIGI set on a designated bulletin frequency in an unmanned operation for receiving bulletins via wrap which are conveniently and automatically saved in the wrap file folder.

      And, for clarification purposes, I am not promoting the idea of an automated bulletin. We would have an op schedule and policy that would absolutely forbid transmissions over active qso's, even if the other transmissions are automated stations.

      I've done a little basic research but I'm sure there might be nets or call frequencies that we'll want to steer clear of.

      These seem to be bad choices:

      7.100 - 7.105 - Pactor (automated/unattended)
      7.108 - CW Novice
      7.110 - CW Novice
      7.121 - CW QRP / Rockmite

      Possible Bulletin Frequencies:

      7.0755
      7.117
      7.122
      7.0925

      The 7.0925 USB freq may be a good choice. I picked it because 7.095 is the W1AW bulletin freq 6pm Eastern (BPSK31, RTTY and MFSK16 when time allows) and in a communications emergency, ARRL recommends monitoring W1AW for special bulletins there at 15 minutes past the hour.

      7.0925 is just down enough that at the top edge of the waterfall we would see the w1aw signal but be far enough away to not interfere. Even if we were operating MT63 1k, we would have enough space for a 500hz Olivia signal above without overlaping the w1aw signals.

      Any thoughts or suggestions?

      -Dave, KB3FXI
      www.wpaNBEMS.org