Re: don't count on anyone putting out a call

  • Craig Wallen
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
      I have been fairly active on 80m mt63 here lately with pretty good results, if you like a sked let me now on the 80m band .. but, for some reason I am having a hard time decoding a few stations and I can not put my finger on why I can't but, 98% of the stations I decode fine . usually 500hz wide /short

    • Cliff Manis
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009

        Rick and all

        I like to do MT63 anytime, and will be looking for a contact from time to time on 40 or 20 meters.

        Yes, I agree - the USAF MARS nets are using MT63 with great results.

        Cliff   KZ5JO / AFA6BC

        I have been fairly active on 80m mt63 here lately with pretty good results, if you like a sked let me now on the 80m band .. but, for some reason I am having a hard time decoding a few stations and I can not put my finger on why I can't but, 98% of the stations I decode fine . usually 500hz wide /short

      • list2
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
          Hi Craig and All,
          This brings up an interesting phenomenon that I discovered while working
          with MT63 for MARS. From what I understand MT63 was designed to always
          start at 500 Hz audio. I believe most Digital programs including HRD DM780
          (my favorite) do not have any flexibility in this. TX Army MARS has decided
          to transmit 1000 Hz wide MT63 starting at 1000 Hz audio instead of 500 Hz.
          MixW allows this. However, if you don't have MixW, you may not be able to
          copy this kind of MT63 Transmission. I'm still trying to figure this one
          out. For TX Army MARS it forces one to always use MixW.

          Steve, W2MY, AAR6CX

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
            Just offset the radio by x Hz. I will look at this in the future, but these
            MARS guys are going against the MT63 proposal from the guy who invented it.

            Simon Brown, HB9DRV
            www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

            > This brings up an interesting phenomenon that I discovered while working
            > with MT63 for MARS. From what I understand MT63 was designed to always
            > start at 500 Hz audio. I believe most Digital programs including HRD
            > DM780
            > (my favorite) do not have any flexibility in this. TX Army MARS has
            > decided
            > to transmit 1000 Hz wide MT63 starting at 1000 Hz audio instead of 500 Hz.
            > MixW allows this. However, if you don't have MixW, you may not be able to
            > copy this kind of MT63 Transmission. I'm still trying to figure this one
            > out. For TX Army MARS it forces one to always use MixW.

          • David Kleber
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
              Craig,

              I think I watched your qso for about 45 minutes the other night from
              here in Pittsburgh, PA. 100% copy on both stations here.

              I've never used .5k before but I was quite impressed with the copy.
              Either you or the other station (I can't remember which) was pretty
              weak, but I had 100% throughout.

              -Dave, KB3FXI

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
                Steve,

                I was of the understanding that the standard was 500 Hz at the bottom
                of the signal, too.

                But can't you simply put your rig in fine VFO tune and move the
                received signal to 500 Hz bottom? I would think you should still get
                100% copy even if the sending station is transmitting 1k bottom. All
                that should change is your dial frequency.

                In our testing here in Western PA, we use a procedure where the first
                station sends a 1000 Hz marker tone that all other stations tune to
                with their VFO. Assuming all stations have done proper sound card
                calibrations, this puts us all on the same page. Also, the very
                narrow 1000 Hz tuning tone is much easier to see on the waterfall. We
                use MT63 1k long as our standard and as you probably know, the
                signature on the waterfall from a weak station can sometimes be very
                light. Our tuning procedure has really helped take some of the
                frustration out of the mode, especially for our less experienced members.

                It's good to see folks using video and RSID to help identify MT63 to
                those who may not know what mode they're seeing/hearing. Once you
                bring them on board, they won't soon forget!

                -Dave, KB3FXI

                --- In MT63@yahoogroups.com, "list2" <list2@...> wrote:

                > Hi Craig and All,
                > This brings up an interesting phenomenon that I discovered while working
                > with MT63 for MARS. From what I understand MT63 was designed to always
                > start at 500 Hz audio. I believe most Digital programs including
                HRD DM780
                > (my favorite) do not have any flexibility in this. TX Army MARS has
                decided
                > to transmit 1000 Hz wide MT63 starting at 1000 Hz audio instead of
                500 Hz.
                > MixW allows this. However, if you don't have MixW, you may not be
                able to
                > copy this kind of MT63 Transmission. I'm still trying to figure
                this one
                > out. For TX Army MARS it forces one to always use MixW.
                >
                > Steve, W2MY, AAR6CX

                Craig
                > Wallen
                >
                > Subject: [MT63] Re: don't count on anyone putting out a call
                >

                > I have been fairly active on 80m mt63 here lately with pretty good
                results,
                > if you like a sked let me now on the 80m band .. but, for some
                reason I am
                > having a hard time decoding a few stations and I can not put my
                finger on
                > why I can't but, 98% of the stations I decode fine . usually 500hz wide
                > /short

              • list2
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
                  Hi Dave,
                  The problem is that during Hurricane Ike, Texas Army MARS demonstrated that
                  mixed mode operation was more efficient than either an all MT63 net, or an
                  all voice net. Checking in and regular business is done in USB but when a
                  message is sent, it is sent in MT63 on the voice frequency starting at 1000
                  Hz audio. The shift between voice and MT63 is immediate. If they send it
                  on the voice frequency starting at 1000 Hz audio, I need to tune my
                  receiver down 500 Hz to actually print it on the screen. Once the message
                  is sent they immediately go back to voice mode. But I need to tune up 500
                  Hz to listen to USB again. I end up missing the first part of the message
                  and the first part of the voice transmission immediately after the MT63
                  traffic. I thought of making two macros to do the shifting in DM780 but I
                  haven't figured that out completely yet. I could also program VFO B 500 Hz
                  lower. I do wish MARS kept to the MT63 standard. I don't think it would
                  hurt their operations at all.

                  Steve, W2MY, AAR6CX

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
                    Very interesting, Steve.

                    Which brings up another subject, hence the change in the subject line.

                    I really wish we (Amateur Service) would move to regs by bandwidth
                    rather than mode. And there's nothing to say that there couldn't be
                    gentelmens agreements on where you could do this, but wouldn't it be
                    great if we could mix phone and MT63 on the same HF freqs?

                    -Dave, KB3FXI

                    --- In MT63@yahoogroups.com, "list2" <list2@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Dave,
                    > The problem is that during Hurricane Ike, Texas Army MARS
                    demonstrated that
                    > mixed mode operation was more efficient than either an all MT63 net,
                    or an
                    > all voice net. Checking in and regular business is done in USB but
                    when a
                    > message is sent, it is sent in MT63 on the voice frequency starting
                    at 1000
                    > Hz audio. The shift between voice and MT63 is immediate. If they
                    send it
                    > on the voice frequency starting at 1000 Hz audio, I need to tune my
                    > receiver down 500 Hz to actually print it on the screen. Once the
                    message
                    > is sent they immediately go back to voice mode. But I need to tune
                    up 500
                    > Hz to listen to USB again. I end up missing the first part of the
                    message
                    > and the first part of the voice transmission immediately after the MT63
                    > traffic. I thought of making two macros to do the shifting in DM780
                    but I
                    > haven't figured that out completely yet. I could also program VFO B
                    500 Hz
                    > lower. I do wish MARS kept to the MT63 standard. I don't think it
                    would
                    > hurt their operations at all.
                    >
                    > Steve, W2MY, AAR6CX

                  • Jim Haynes
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
                      However I guess if they were using 2KHz MT63 rather than 1KHz
                      then you would again want the MT63 to start at 500 Hz and end
                      at 2500 Hz, rather than starting at 1 KHz and ending at 3 KHz.
                      Even that might be too high, depending on the filters in the radio.

                      Jim W6JVE

                      jhhaynes at earthlink dot net
                    • David Little
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
                        This is the reason for the 500 HZ start freq; especially on NTIA freqs
                        which are channelized.

                        It is hard to move from the concept of "center of intelligence", to a
                        start frequency that allows the full potential of the mode to be
                        utilized, but you have echoed the thought process as to the reason some
                        of these "standards" were created.

                        David
                        KD4NUE

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 4, 2009
                          Hi Dave and all,
                          Thanks for the change in subject line.

                          Yes, well I guess the ARRL assumed that it was such a good idea that they
                          did not need to work on grass roots support of it by the membership. The
                          opposition to their regulation by bandwidth proposal was so intense that
                          they dropped it like a hot potato.

                          I do see operating digital and SSB on the same frequency to be a great
                          advantage for MARS. I guess hams sort of do this on 20 meters with SSTV.
                          In fact it seems to be one of the big differences in operating between
                          ARES/RACES and MARS at least here in Texas. The other difference is the
                          training on actual operations required down here for MARS. I did not feel
                          qualified to use HF in an emergency until I started doing NCS duties for
                          Army MARS. No training is really required for ARES/RACES although I know a
                          few people in both of these groups who are very good. But for the general
                          membership of these groups you just need a ham license.

                          I would think that with the general push toward using ham radio as an
                          alternate means of communication for many institutions, that either the FCC
                          would mandate the use of digital/voice operations on the same frequency (or
                          at least during emergencies), or the FCC would get a bunch of proposals by
                          hams to permit it to a limited extent.

                          I think that most hams don't realize how good combined digital/voice works.
                          I don't think MARS realized it down here until after we actually used it in
                          some emergencies and it worked out so well.

                          Just a note for comparison on efficiency. During all MT63 nets (or any
                          digital net is concerned), it is very difficult for me to check in without
                          QRMing everyone else. With a voice check-in, after giving the call of the
                          NCS, you drop the mic and listen to see if anyone else is checking in. This
                          prevents doubles most of the time. I have not figured out a way to do this
                          on MT63, especially with the delay in transmission associated with MT63.
                          That's why checking in with voice and the sending traffic in MT63 is the
                          best of both worlds.

                          Steve, W2MY

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 4, 2009
                            Something I have learned is it is almost essential to have your TX frequencies locked , so you can have the ability to move around the RX in MT63. There are a lot of stations not lined up good or do not have a good calibration done on there sound card.

                            I can't remember what the leeway is on being off frequency , but it seems to be pretty tight at least in mixw .

                            I am usually around the 1200hz area of the pass band or so. If I am near the 500hz area on the low side , I am fairly close to my filter and also my EQ setting on my soundcard, I get slightly less audio drive there.

                            yea 500hz BW will have better signal to noise ratio , but makes it a bit less robust due to propagation effects, but it is not by a whole lot at all. It is a Good trade off on the lower bands.

                            I think it would be neat to have a sked with some one in western EU to try a contact on 80m with mt63, not sure if that has done yet or not. If any one in western EU would like to attempt this email me.

                          • Paul L Schmidt, K9PS
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 5, 2009
                              Indiana Navy-Marine Corps MARS uses 2 kHz 95+% of the time;
                              only dropping down to 1 kHz if conditions are extremely bad
                              (High QRN, etc.). Of course, when conditions are that bad,
                              SSB probably isn't working well either.

                              Even if the filters whack the tones on the edges (e.g. a 1.8
                              or 2.1 kHz filter), they're not far enough down on the skirts
                              to present a real problem, and MT63 has a LOT of redundancy
                              built in to compensate.

                              Uncalibrated or improperly calibrated sound cards cause a lot
                              more trouble than filters :(

                              It'd be awfully nice to be able to do mixed-mode on the ARES
                              and RACES HF nets... too bad they threw the baby out with the
                              bathwater on the regulation-by-bandwidth proposal a while
                              back.

                              73,

                              - ps