MT63 reception/decoding question

  • ki0ky
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008
      I and several other MARS members are testing MT63. I have observed
      that when one or two stations transmit that the words appear on my
      screen with no spaces between them. Another station copying the same
      message reports that there are %% characters between each word. A
      third station reports 100 percent correct copy. Can any one offer the
      answer to why these differences occur.

      Thanks

      Steve KI0KY/AAR8AQ
    • David Little
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008
        Soundcard calibration needed by all that didn't copy 100%, as well as for
        all that send and are received scrambled by thouse who have already
        calibrated sound card.

        Soundcard calibration is almost always required for sending and receiving
        MT-63.

        David
        AAR4IE

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008
          Hi Steve,
          We had one individual who had no spaces between words until he replaced his
          old sound card with a cheap newer one.
          Steve, AAR6CX

          I and several other MARS members are testing MT63. I have observed
          that when one or two stations transmit that the words appear on my
          screen with no spaces between them. Another station copying the same
          message reports that there are %% characters between each word. A
          third station reports 100 percent correct copy. Can any one offer the
          answer to why these differences occur.

          Thanks

          Steve KI0KY/AAR8AQ

          Checked by AVG.
          7:30 AM
        • Paul L Schmidt, K9PS
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008
            Most likely, it's someone with an off-frequency sound card. What
            software are you guys using?

            - Paul / K9PS

            ki0ky wrote:
            > I and several other MARS members are testing MT63. I have observed
            > that when one or two stations transmit that the words appear on my
            > screen with no spaces between them. Another station copying the same
            > message reports that there are %% characters between each word. A
            > third station reports 100 percent correct copy. Can any one offer the
            > answer to why these differences occur.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Steve KI0KY/AAR8AQ

          • David Little
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008
              Doesn't matter which software. If the soundcard has not been calibrated,
              you will have slanted SSTV pics and no formatting on MixW.

              Mix case groups and lack of spaces area a dead giveaway.

              Repetitive garbage characters, and no recognizable content indicate the need
              to invert or reverse the receiving software.

              David

              KD4NUE / AAM4AGA / AAR4IE

              ki0ky wrote:
              > I and several other MARS members are testing MT63. I have observed
              > that when one or two stations transmit that the words appear on my
              > screen with no spaces between them. Another station copying the same
              > message reports that there are %% characters between each word. A
              > third station reports 100 percent correct copy. Can any one offer the
              > answer to why these differences occur.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Steve KI0KY/AAR8AQ

            • Paul L Schmidt, K9PS
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2008
                David Little wrote:
                > Doesn't matter which software.

                True, an off-frequency sound card does this with all
                software. The FIX for it, though, is a lot easier
                on some software packages than others.

                Some packages require that the error be determined
                by using another program; some have functionality
                within the MT63 program itself to check frequency.

                73,

                Paul / K9PS
              • David Little
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 9, 2008
                  I believe the best one is the routine within MMSSTV that allows you to feed
                  from line out to line in and send pics to yourself offline.

                  I have used the Check SR application, as well as calibrate via SSTV in MixW,
                  but the MMSSTV gives the quickest results, and you can visually monitor the
                  progress.

                  David
                  KD4NUE