Re[2]: [MT63] Listening on 40 meters

  • Nick
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 23, 2007
      Hello David,

      Just FYI.

      MixW is not limited to 500 hz start and single MT63 channel, so one
      can receive several MT63 channels simultaneusly, using one (for most
      TRCVRs) or two inputs (like ORION, FT1000, FT2000, IC7800).
      I can watch 9 MT63 channels of 1000 hz each on 20m and 9 more on 40m (9 khz
      RX bandwidth) with ORION 1. With simple direct conversion DSP RX we
      can watch much more.
      Some people used to tell about dial frequency, usually forgotting to
      mention LSB/USB and/or sound shift. That's why I asked to clarify the
      frequency for MT63 sked.

      Sorry, no MT63 transmission was heard this night on 40m here in Kiev.

      73!

      dbn> The MT-63 mode does not affect the receive frequency as far as the actual
      dbn> dial frequency. It only impacts where in the 3 KHz bandwidth allowed that
      dbn> the center of the transmit falls. That is determined from the start
      dbn> frequency and bandwidth set in the parameters for MixW.

      dbn> If you have your rig connected for rig control from MixW, the center "flag"
      dbn> will be the dial frequency plus or minus the offset extrapolated from the
      dbn> start frequency and bandwidth.

      dbn> As an Example:

      dbn> Dial Frequency 7.090.000 MHz = 7,090,000 HZ
      dbn> with 500 Hz start frequency and 1000 Hz bandwidth, the difference
      dbn> would place the flag (center frequency) at either
      dbn> 7.089 (LSB) OR 7.091 MHz (USB).

      dbn> Neither affect the dial frequency, or the frequency that the rig is tuned
      dbn> to. All the parameters affect is where the software will start generating
      dbn> RF Power, and how far it will travel (Bandwidth). From those 2 parameters,
      dbn> you are confined to accept the placement of the center "Flag" in MixW.

      dbn> The questions to ask are:

      dbn> What is your starting Frequency? (500 HZ is hard coded in both MultiPSK and
      dbn> the MT-63 Terminal program, and allows use of up to the 2KHz bandwidth
      dbn> parameter without the resulting data going outside of the 3 KHz operating
      dbn> frequency )

      dbn> What is your Bandwidth? (1000Hz gives up to 100 WPM throughput in good to
      dbn> ideal conditions).

      dbn> What Is the Interleave (Long, Short, Very Short or None). The Interleave
      dbn> determines how quickly the software will look for the next bit of
      dbn> information.

      dbn> What mode? USB or LSB. Most software treats USB as the default mode. When
      dbn> transmitting on LSB, the inverted mode is selected. It doesn't have to be
      dbn> that way; actually you can tune 3 KHz higher or lower and reverse the
      dbn> Sideband and achieve the same results. This is the only way that MultiPSK
      dbn> and the MT-63 Terminal program allow the user to copy a signal with a 100KHz
      dbn> Starting Frequency (or anything other than the hardcode 500Hz Starting
      dbn> Frequency.

      dbn> Knowing the parameters, Sideband and dial frequency will help in getting
      dbn> together on the air.

      dbn> Apologies is this is already known. I hear very little MT-63 on the Ham
      dbn> bands, and see it used extensively on the NTIA by various federal support
      dbn> services.

      --
      Best regards,
      Nick mailto:ut2uz@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 23, 2007
        Been monitoring all day and not one signal, still listening on 7.090...

        Fred
        VE3FAL

        Happy Holidays.......

[...]

        << Try MT63 on 80m - great fun!>>

        - The MT63 Reflector -
        MT63@egroups.com

        (To unsubscribe. send email to
        MT63-unsubscribe@onelist.com)

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • dalite01@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 24, 2007
          Nick,

          Thanks for that info. After I sent the reply, I realized who I was
          replying to and felt a little foolish.... Sorry :)

          I use MixW most of the time, and have to work with others that are limited
          to the 500Hz start frequemcy and haven't learned to reverse sideband and
          tune for a signal with a different start frequency.

          I use a Kenwood TS-2000, and haven't had the opportunity to monitor more
          than one MT-63 signal at a time, but see how the 5 KHz visible on the
          waterfall could show multiple 1 KHz wide MT-63 signals. However, I haven't
          found any group of folks using it with the disipline and ability necessary
          to send multiple usable signals within the visible portion of the waterfall.

          I look forward to working some of the folks here on the Ham Bands using MixW
          and MT-63. I would also like to try the Contestia mode. I have used Olivia
          as much as the MT-63 mode, and both have done well. I think that Contestia
          could provide the best of both modes; offering thruput apporaching MT-63 in
          conditions that Olivia would normally be the best mode to use.

          David
          KD4NUE

          MixW is not limited to 500 hz start and single MT63 channel, so one can
          receive several MT63 channels simultaneusly, using one (for most
          TRCVRs) or two inputs (like ORION, FT1000, FT2000, IC7800).
          I can watch 9 MT63 channels of 1000 hz each on 20m and 9 more on 40m (9 khz
          RX bandwidth) with ORION 1. With simple direct conversion DSP RX we can
          watch much more. Some people used to tell about dial frequency, usually
          forgotting to mention LSB/USB and/or sound shift. That's why I asked to
          clarify the frequency for MT63 sked.

          Sorry, no MT63 transmission was heard this night on 40m here in Kiev.

          73!

          dbn> The MT-63 mode does not affect the receive frequency as far as the
          dbn> actual dial frequency. It only impacts where in the 3 KHz
          dbn> bandwidth allowed that the center of the transmit falls. That is
          dbn> determined from the start frequency and bandwidth set in the
          dbn> parameters for MixW.

          dbn> If you have your rig connected for rig control from MixW, the
          dbn> center "flag" will be the dial frequency plus or minus the offset
          dbn> extrapolated from the start frequency and bandwidth.

          dbn> As an Example:

          dbn> Dial Frequency 7.090.000 MHz = 7,090,000 HZ
          dbn> with 500 Hz start frequency and 1000 Hz bandwidth, the difference
          dbn> would place the flag (center frequency) at either
          dbn> 7.089 (LSB) OR 7.091 MHz (USB).

          dbn> Neither affect the dial frequency, or the frequency that the rig is
          dbn> tuned to. All the parameters affect is where the software will
          dbn> start generating RF Power, and how far it will travel (Bandwidth).
          dbn> From those 2 parameters, you are confined to accept the placement
          dbn> of the center "Flag" in MixW.

          dbn> The questions to ask are:

          dbn> What is your starting Frequency? (500 HZ is hard coded in both
          dbn> MultiPSK and the MT-63 Terminal program, and allows use of up to
          dbn> the 2KHz bandwidth parameter without the resulting data going
          dbn> outside of the 3 KHz operating frequency )

          dbn> What is your Bandwidth? (1000Hz gives up to 100 WPM throughput in
          dbn> good to ideal conditions).

          dbn> What Is the Interleave (Long, Short, Very Short or None). The
          dbn> Interleave determines how quickly the software will look for the
          dbn> next bit of information.

          dbn> What mode? USB or LSB. Most software treats USB as the default
          dbn> mode. When transmitting on LSB, the inverted mode is selected. It
          dbn> doesn't have to be that way; actually you can tune 3 KHz higher or
          dbn> lower and reverse the Sideband and achieve the same results. This
          dbn> is the only way that MultiPSK and the MT-63 Terminal program allow
          dbn> the user to copy a signal with a 100KHz Starting Frequency (or
          dbn> anything other than the hardcode 500Hz Starting Frequency.

          dbn> Knowing the parameters, Sideband and dial frequency will help in
          dbn> getting together on the air.

          dbn> Apologies is this is already known. I hear very little MT-63 on
          dbn> the Ham bands, and see it used extensively on the NTIA by various
          dbn> federal support services.

          --
          Best regards,
          Nick mailto:ut2uz@...