RE: [MT63] Frequency Setup

  • dalite01@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2007
      Mack,

      IMHO, the MT-63 terminal was written to remove the options that seem to
      confuse and provide a simple to use application.

      Here are some basic premises:

      1. Starting Frequency is hard coded at 500Hz
      2. Bandwidth, added to starting frequency determines center frequency and
      end frequency.
      3. Interleave changes the time period in which the next bit of redundant
      information is transmitted, and the short interleave takes away FEC and
      should be used on frequencies where good propagation between the sending
      parties is confirmed before hand.
      4. Bandwidth ultimately determines how wide the signal is, which determines
      how much info can be processed at one time. Wider is faster in terms of
      extrapolated WPM as a figure of merit.

      With this in mind, if you were tuned to 14.100 (random example), and the USB
      mode with 1000Hz Bandwidth, you would start making RF power at 14099.50 KHz
      (14,099,500 Hz, which is 500 Hz below the DIAL freq)) and stop at
      14098.5KHz.

      Rig control doesn't even work into the equation.

      If you set your rig on the DIAL frequency (Either 1.5 KHz Above or Below the
      ASSIGNED frequency, depending on the sideband), the software will direct the
      sound card to send tones to generate power at the appropriate portion of the
      3.0 KHz bandwidth associated with the ASSIGNED frequency.

      Further explanation:

      LSB Dial Freq is 1.5KHz Above Assigned freq
      USB Dial Freq is 1.5KHz Below Assigned freq
      Bandwidth of Assigned freq is 3KHz wide before signal enters into the next
      Assigned frequency.

      USB MT63 signals move up the band toward and past the Assigned frequency
      approaching the upper limit of the 3 KHz surrounding the Assigned freq.

      LSB MT63 signals move down the band toward and past the Assigned frequency
      approaching the lower limit of the 3 KHz surrounding the Assigned freq.

      In both cases, the point at which RF power starts to be generated is the
      starting frequency (offset). In the case of the hard coding in the MT63
      Terminal, this is always 500Hz away from the DIAL freq, moving up or down,
      dependent on sideband used. The RF power generation ends at the part of the
      3 KHz total bandwidth determined by the Bandwidth selected for the MT63
      signal. In all cases, it moves toward, and possibly past the Assigned Freq.

      Simple answer is that the software doesn't care what the transceiver is set
      to. I will make power and look for signal 500 Hs away from wherever the
      transceiver is set, and send it in a direction dependent on Sideband chosen
      and bandwidth selected.

      MixW gives you far more choices, but I don't recommend that anyone starts
      using it out unless they have a grasp of the basic operation concepts
      outlined above. If you try to jump on MixW, not using Rig Control, having
      the option of setting variable start freq, accepting automatic offset for
      standard sideband selection, you may find that you have too many options to
      choose from. Also, with the lack of a wide choice of MT-63 signals to learn
      on, it can become very frustrating trying to master a lot of changeable
      parameters on an elusive signal.

      Having said that, both programs are capable of doing a great job of MT-63,
      as long as the sending station uses a starting frequency of 500 Hz.

      FWIW, if the sending station uses a starting frequency of 1000Hz, with the
      MT-63 terminal (and also MultiPSK) you will have to invert the Sideband and
      tune off 3KHz to find and decode their signal; intercepting it in the
      direction in which it is traveling. When you understand why that occurs,
      you should be able to run any software that is available for MT-63.

      I am not a MT-63 guru. I am just making observations that I believe to be
      constant, based on what I have observed running MT-63 the past few months on
      Army MARS.

      David
      KD4NUE

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 22, 2007
        Thanks for everyone's help.
        Sometimes I automatically look for a difficult solution when the answer
        is quite simple.
        73 de Mack N9NTB

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 22, 2007
          No there is not.
          Just use the big knob on your rig to tune.

          Can't say about Mixw never have used it.