DIGITAL SIGNALS VS. SPECTRUM WIDTH

  • FRANK JENKINS
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2006
      HI,

      I SEE DISCUSSIONS ABOUT DIFFERENT MODE OF DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS
      AND SEE HOW WIDE SOME OF THEM ARE AND THEM VS OTHER MODES THAT ARE SO
      MUCH NARROWER... EVERY ONE IS IN SEARCH OF A MODE THAT WILL COPY WEAK
      SIGNAL AND SOME OF THE WIDER MODES MIGHT HELP THERE BUT THERE ARE
      MODES WHICH ARE NARROWER AND ALSO ARE NOMINALLY VERY GOOD ON WEAK
      SIGNAL...

      I USE TO BE BIG IN HF PACKET IN THE 80S AND WAS SO BECAUSE
      OF ITS AUTOMATED CAPABILITIES, BUT ALL THINGS PASS AND I HAVE JUST
      RECENTLY GOT BACK INTO DIGITAL, AND I HAVE BEEN EXPEREMENTING WITH
      DIFFERENT MODES AND PSK31 IS SO FAR MY FAVORITE. ITS NOT AUTOMATED
      BUT GOOD WEAK SIGNAL COPY AND NARROW SPECTRUM USE WITH LOW POWER.

      MARS IS USING MT63 RTTY AND PACTOR AND AMTOR THESE ARE STILL GOOD
      MODES BUT WITH NARROWING OF REQUIREMENTS FOR SPECTRUM.

      I THINK THESE SHOULD BE USE LESS AND MODES SUCH AS BPSK31 ETC.
      NARROW IN SPECTRUM SHOULD BE USED PASSING TRAFFIC... MAYBE PROGRAMERS
      SHOULD WORK ON PROGRAMS THAT WILL ACCOMODATE PASSING TRAFFIC WITH
      THESE MODES POSSIBLY,AUTOMATED PROGRAMS ALSO BUT WITH FUNCTIONS
      ESPECIALLY SUITED FOR PASSING TRAFFIC.THESE WOULD BE GREAT FOR WIDE
      SPREAD EMERGENCY USE.
      I FEEL THIS WOULD BENEFIT HF IN HAM RADIO AND EMERGENCIES... JUST
      A PROVOKING THOUGHT AND WOULD LIKE TO HEAR OTHER PEOPLES IDEAS TO SEE
      IM THE ONLY CRAZY ONE AROUND... !!

      73'S FRANK N5MDV USAFMARS AFA6FW