RSGB MT63 transmissions on 1 October

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hello folks,

      Using IZ8BLY's MT63 terminal software, I was able to copy the RSGB
      transmission on 3600kHz at 1915GMT in 1kHz mode without any
      problems, even with the 80m SSB QRM.

      At the end of that transmission I changed frequency to 5279kHz
      hoping to compare reception reports. However, I had no success
      whatsoever in copying the RSGB MT63 transmission at 1945GMT. I
      noticed the transmission was 2kHz in bandwidth but there was no QRM.
      I was hoping for 100% copy but I decoded nothing.

      I changed the 'interleave' several times and I even stopped and
      restarted the software application but to no avail.

      Did anyone else have problems decoding the 5279kHz?

      Regards

      Chris (Shortwave Listener in grid IO91kw)
    • Steve Richards
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2006
        Hi Chris,

        Just to thank you for that nice report on my 3600kHz transmission.
        Considering the appalling lightning static, peaking here regularly at
        S9+30dB, I
        was amazed at how well the signal was received by stations all over the UK.

        I moved to 1840kHz to listen to the MT63 1kHz broadcast from GX0BAA,
        and received about 75% through the even more terrible lightning static on
        160m!
        The difference in the wanted MT63 signal and the unwanted static was in
        excess of 60dB!

        Regarding 5279kHz, I am not sure whether a transmission actually took place
        but I will check this and report back. We are a bit thin on the ground for
        transmitting stations and sometimes there are just not enough of us to go
        around and it is often the 5279kHz that we have trouble covering. As you'll
        appreciate, all sending is voluntary.

        The GB2RS transmissions use 1kHz long interleave as standard and at least
        the
        'first time round' should be transmitted like this; if the sending station
        wants to
        repeat the news in 2kHz bandwidth then they are at liberty to do so
        afterwards.

        If you want to find out who is due to transmit the data GB2RS, you can go to
        the web page I maintain at http://www.g4hpe.piczo.com/ which shows the
        projected newsreading rota.

        Out of interest to all MT63 enthusiasts like myself and Chris, I am also a
        member
        of the Raynet HF team that is assessing voice and data modes below 30MHz
        for potential UK disaster coverage. We have done quite a lot of testing
        with
        PSK31 but there is no doubt that the superior error correction of MT63 shows
        through, particularly in the sort of tricky conditions affecting the UK on
        this
        very thundery night.

        Regards,
        Steve G4HPE