Contacts with Pawel's New Mode

  • David M. Gist
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
      Pawel and other MT63/MFSK fans:

      I participated in a successful 3-station roundtable on New Year's
      Eve using Pawel's experimental MFSK-FEC mode. I had responded to an
      MFSK-FEC CQ on 3582 Khz from Gilles, VE2FT. We were soon joined by
      Bob, N4YWF and chatted for about 40 minutes with near perfect copy
      using the default settings. Bob and Gilles were using MixW in MT-63
      mode as a tuning indicator (lower cursor set to 500 hz), which
      helped us get on the same frequency. The only "problem" I noted was
      sometimes missing the first few characters of a transmission.

      Gilles, VE2FT and Rick, W4UEF reported successful trans-Atlantic
      MFSK-FEC QSOs on 80M with Paul, HB9AVK on Dec 30.

      Thanks for letting us in on this exciting new development!

      Dave
      WD1O
      Norfolk, VA
    • Harv Nelson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
        Hi Dave,

        I lost you guys in the QSB last night. Did anyone say if there are
        files available for a LINUX implementation of the new mode?

        They must be around some where ... I heard that the Windows version
        needs "cygwin". That usually means that the original was from
        Unix/Linux.

        Thanks a bunch

        Harv, AI9NL
        Washburn, WI

        On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 01:50:07 -0000, David M. Gist <d.gist3@...> wrote:

        > Pawel and other MT63/MFSK fans:
        >
        > I participated in a successful 3-station roundtable on New Year's
        > Eve using Pawel's experimental MFSK-FEC mode. I had responded to an
        > MFSK-FEC CQ on 3582 Khz from Gilles, VE2FT. We were soon joined by
        > Bob, N4YWF and chatted for about 40 minutes with near perfect copy
        > using the default settings. Bob and Gilles were using MixW in MT-63
        > mode as a tuning indicator (lower cursor set to 500 hz), which
        > helped us get on the same frequency. The only "problem" I noted was
        > sometimes missing the first few characters of a transmission.
        >
        > Gilles, VE2FT and Rick, W4UEF reported successful trans-Atlantic
        > MFSK-FEC QSOs on 80M with Paul, HB9AVK on Dec 30.
        >
        > Thanks for letting us in on this exciting new development!
        >
        > Dave
        > WD1O
        > Norfolk, VA

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • J. Lance Cotton
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
          Harv Nelson wrote:
          > I lost you guys in the QSB last night. Did anyone say if there are
          > files available for a LINUX implementation of the new mode?
          >
          > They must be around some where ... I heard that the Windows version
          > needs "cygwin". That usually means that the original was from
          > Unix/Linux.

          I was interested in this too -- I was a little disappointed that Windows
          cygwin binaries could be downloaded, but no linux-friendly source code.

          -Lance KJ5O
          --
          J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
          joe@...
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
            > Hi looking at your reply it really stumps me why you are using lynix , I
            > tried it and it seemed to me to be a regerssion to dos (almost).. don't get
            > it !!

            Hi Bob,

            I guess the main reason I use LINUX is that it works for me ... not
            the other way round.

            Since I put Linux on this box, I've had no more problems with viruses,
            Trojans, worms, or DOS attacks. I don't have to spend $500 for an OS
            and then another $200 for software to protect it from malicious
            intrusions or attack. My machines run 24/7. They are ready to go
            whenever I need them. I've had only one crash in the past 3 months
            ... that was my fault, not the fault of "Gates" and company. AND, I
            didn't loose any data. Damnit, it just RUNS! No screwing around. No
            whining, no crying.

            It updates itself every night. Security flaws are found and corrected
            BEFORE anyone has the opportunity to exploit them. "Root" and "user"
            are not the same guys, like windows. I have to really work at it to
            screw up my systems.

            Best of all, LINUX is FREE for the downloading. Its also GPL/GNU ...
            which means I can go inside and tweak it anytime I want ... as much as
            I want. It fits very well with this Ham Radio hobby. Tons of FREE
            ham software. The money you spend on hardware and software, I get to
            spend on radios and antennas.

            In short, the value-per-dollar equation is pretty hard to beat. Like
            the credit card advertisement says ..."What's in your wallet?" ... I
            still got my cash!

            Linux has all the "windowing"/"mousing", graphics, audio, and video
            capabilities of any Windows incarnation ... bar none. If what you've
            seen of Linux is just command-line, text type displays ... you're
            seeing/using a pretty old distribution.

            The governments of both China and India now mandate the use of LINUX
            in their schools and government offices. That accounts for better
            than half the world's population. European governments (Germany,
            France, the Netherlands) have made the same decisions ... as have
            Brazil and Venezuela and Argentina. Indonesia is moving towards Linux
            also.

            If you'd like to give Linux a spin, let me know ... I'll send you the
            URL's where you can download several different distributions. If you
            don't have a highspeed connection, I'll gladly burn a set of CD's for
            you. Give it a spin. I'm sure you'll find it a perfect fit for this
            hobby.

            Harv, AI9NL
            Washburn, WI