Report From the DCC

  • dubose@texas.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2004
      I attended the DCC this past weekend and presented G4HPE's paper on
      "A Practical Evaluation and Comparison of Some Modern Data Modes".

      The paper was well received.

      Other papers of interest to the list were "DttSP" by FrankBrickle, AB2KT and
      Bob McGwier, N4HY; "Digital Chat Modes" by Patrick, F6CTE; "PSFKFEC31 and
      PSK63F" by also by Patrick, F6CTE; "SCAMP" (a sound card modem for HF and maybe
      V/UHF) by Rick, Muething, KN6KB (presented by W5SMM since KN6KB was repairing
      his QTH in Flordia due to hurricane damage...best wishes for speedy repairs and
      complete repairs on his house to Rick and his family. Also Vic Poor, W5SMM,
      also has some roof damage.). "Digital Messaging for ARES, A Progress Report"
      by W5SMM, "Software Design Radios-The Future is Now" by Gerald Youngblood,
      AC5OG, and "HamDream Mel Whitten, K0PFX "RF Protocol Proposal" by Bob McGwier,
      N4HY, Peter Martinez, G3PLX, and Dave Bernstein AA6YQ (Peter could not make the
      DCC).

      Of the many things I learned, one was that the either the ARRL ARESCOM
      Committee or the WinLink Development Team has purchased a Real-Time CCIR-520
      Compliant HF Channel Simulator from KC7WW. They tested Pactor I/II/III. From
      the chart presented, it appears that none of the Pactor modes (I, II, III) has
      significantly more throughput at a 0 dB SNR than MT63-2K and infact we know
      that at -8 to -10 dB SNR, MT63-2K has a 200 WPM throughput.

      Also, SCAMP will be a open source sound card modem that has throughput
      somewhere between where Pactor II and III are and at 0 dB SNR a thoughtput
      above or close to what MT63 has. SCAPM will work with the WinLink System.

      Also note that the SDR-1000 radio now has a 100 watt amplifier and alpha Linux
      software control of the radio.

      Walt/K5YFW
    • Andreas Weller
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 24, 2004
        --- In MT63@yahoogroups.com, dubose@t... wrote:
        > "SCAMP" (a sound card modem for HF and maybe
        > V/UHF) by Rick, Muething, KN6KB (presented by W5SMM)

        Hi!
        Are there any news about the SCAMP ARQ software?

        Regards,
        Andreas Weller, DF1PAW