PSK Observation

  • dhwengert@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      Hello :

      With the summer-short skip conds on 10m also digital modes are a nice way to qso.
      I recently was engaged with a G-station on 10m in PSK31. It must have been towards the end of the skip.
      We started the qso with very nice singnal-strengths both ways. However then all of a sudden, while the signals were still very good the copy seemed to deteriorate ever more. The signal strength as seen in the spectrum was still usefull however the misprints started to grow ever more till we had to terminate the contact for bad copy.

      It seemed to me that towards the end of the skip the signals suffered a measure of phase-distortion that really harmed their information contents in that mode. It would have been a good idea to change mode in order to find out, what would have been the solution under these conditions. In my opinion either MFSK or RTTY would have stood out better than PSK.

      It might be a good idea for those working mixw to come upm with a standard method of switching modes in case of problems, so that both stations might select a proper mode in order to carry on and at the same time gain an insight into the working of the various modes. So as I mentioned, RTTY or MFSK might be an alternative to PSK under such conditions. One might also choose QPSK instead of BPSK, to see if that would improve things.
      I do find suchb experimental mode changes a very interesting subject and MixW is well prepared to do this. Lets try.
      Regards and 73s
      Dieter
      DJ4DM