Re: [MT63] Digest Number 710

  • Norm Sternberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 9:47 AM
      Hello Butch,

      >> it would be possible to set up an operational procedure wherein
      the received message is transmitted back to the sending computer,
      the originating computer could then compare the return message with
      the sent message and send an acknowledgement or negative
      acknowledgement as the case might be. <<

      Sounds just like AMTOR ARQ to me...save for the fact that AMTOR uses
      a block of only three characters in each transmission.

      What else is new?? <ggg>

      73,
      Norm W2JUP - NNN0TOA
      Plantation, FL
    • Norm Sternberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 9:47 AM
        Hello again, Butch,

        >> MARS has seen cases wherein MT63 and now ordinary SSB can co-exist
        on the same channel without undue disruption of either. <<

        True! But MT63 requires that each and every station to have a computer
        equipped with a sound card and a piece of appropriate software. Not all
        MARS members are so equipped and MARS cannot insist on a member having
        the necessary stuff.

        I don't think our government is ready to pay for such stuff for those
        qho can't afford it!

        73,
        Norm W2JUP - NNN0TOA
        Plantation, FL
      • Butch Mason
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2 8:53 AM
          Hello Norm and Murray,

          I sincerely apologize for making two errors. The first is in switching
          from the thread I was staying on. I justify the switch by pointing out
          that all three messages on Digest number 711 referred to the Digest number
          710 subject line. The second apology is for apparently not being clear in
          my post in which I had suggested a "Ham Bone" ARQ. The intent was to use a
          cumbersome operational procedure for the very few messages deemed by the
          sender to require absolute accuracy. The idea is sort of like postal mail
          which requires that the recipient sign a form before the postal person will
          deliver the message. Most senders do not opt for the "Signature Required"
          method.

          Aloha -- Butch -- W6KAG
          (I lived on Molokai for 10 years)