MT63 is Fantastic

  • Brian Carling
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 6 11:39 AM
      Well guys I called CQ for a couple of hours today on 14109.5 USB but no takers.

      What do you thunk we can do to publicize MT63 and let the rest of the world of
      hams know just what a great mode this is?!

      Any ideas??

      73s - Brian, AF4K in Sanford, FL
    • Mark Jones
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 6 12:44 PM
        All

        I used MT63 for a while and found it an amazing mode, I had difficulties
        running my FT-920 in "data" mode and eventually resorted to the "phone
        patch" jack. It seems there was a 500K filter in line inside the radio in
        "data" mode, anyhow, I persisted. Could work great distances when the
        incoming audio was non-existent! Amazing, worked VK from G-land!

        Many a morning I would listen to 14.109.5 at abt 6:00Z and join in, it
        seemed to be the same few stations working the same chums. After a while I
        managed to get in, but I then messed up who to pass it too - in such a big
        group it got a bit awesome. It was as much as I could do to drive the
        software let alone keep up with the next guy in turn! I gave up.

        Fantastic mode, very w-i-d-e and works well, shame it's not in use when the
        bands are quiet.

        If anyone wants a contact I can still run the mode easily.

        Regards,

        Well guys I called CQ for a couple of hours today on 14109.5 USB but no
        takers.

        What do you thunk we can do to publicize MT63 and let the rest of the world
        of
        hams know just what a great mode this is?!

        Any ideas??

        73s - Brian, AF4K in Sanford, FL

        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/CPMolB/TM

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Omar Shabsigh
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 6 1:42 PM
          Let's organize a contest.

          Omar, YK1AO

          ******************************
          > Well guys I called CQ for a couple of hours today on 14109.5 USB but no
          takers.

          > What do you thunk we can do to publicize MT63 and let the rest of the
          world of
          > hams know just what a great mode this is?!
          >
          > Any ideas??
          >
          > 73s - Brian, AF4K in Sanford, FL

        • Brian Carling
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 6 2:06 PM
            Great - how about a sked for tomorrow Mark?

            I can come on any time.
            What is the best time for getting into W4 land from your area?

            Best 73s - Brian Carling, AF4K

            (Ex-G3XLQ)

            On 6 Apr 2004 at 20:44, Mark Jones wrote:

            > All
            >
            > I used MT63 for a while and found it an amazing mode, I had
            > difficulties running my FT-920 in "data" mode and eventually resorted
            > to the "phone patch" jack. It seems there was a 500K filter in line
            > inside the radio in "data" mode, anyhow, I persisted. Could work great
            > distances when the incoming audio was non-existent! Amazing, worked VK
            > from G-land!
            >
            > Many a morning I would listen to 14.109.5 at abt 6:00Z and join in, it
            > seemed to be the same few stations working the same chums. After a
            > while I managed to get in, but I then messed up who to pass it too -
            > in such a big group it got a bit awesome. It was as much as I could do
            > to drive the software let alone keep up with the next guy in turn! I
            > gave up.
            >
            > Fantastic mode, very w-i-d-e and works well, shame it's not in use
            > when the bands are quiet.
            >
            > If anyone wants a contact I can still run the mode easily.
            >
            > Regards,

          • Andrea Borgia
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 7 12:49 AM
              Brian Carling wrote:

              > What do you thunk we can do to publicize MT63 and let the rest of the world of
              > hams know just what a great mode this is?!

              This saturday I'll be at IY4FGM (the memorial station at Marconi's Villa
              Griffone) and I plan to operate MT63 as well, perhaps after local lunchtime.

              Stay tuned,
              Andrea.

              --
              Homepage: http://andrea.borgia.bo.it / Amateur radio: IZ4FHT
              A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 7 5:55 AM
                Wonderful! I will be listening for you!

                On 7 Apr 2004 at 9:49, Andrea Borgia wrote:

                > Brian Carling wrote:
                >

                > > What do you thunk we can do to publicize MT63 and let the rest of
                > > the world of hams know just what a great mode this is?!
                >
                > This saturday I'll be at IY4FGM (the memorial station at Marconi's
                > Villa Griffone) and I plan to operate MT63 as well, perhaps after
                > local lunchtime.
                >
                > Stay tuned,
                > Andrea.
                >
                > --
                > Homepage: http://andrea.borgia.bo.it / Amateur radio: IZ4FHT A:
                > Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q:
                > Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the
                > most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

                > ---------------------~--> Music that listens to you. LAUNCHcast.
                > What's in your mix?
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/4ZDxEA/FARHAA/kkyPAA/CPMolB/TM

              • Brian Carling
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 7 5:56 AM
                  ALTHOUGH - the Pactor Goons seem to have taken over 14109.5 kHz.

                  "Use it or lose it" as the saying goes!!

                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 7 8:05 AM
                    Brian Carling wrote:

                    > ALTHOUGH - the Pactor Goons seem to have taken over 14109.5 kHz.
                    > "Use it or lose it" as the saying goes!!

                    Too bad, MT63 is designed to cope with quite a lot of interference so it
                    should be a nice test of its effectiveness.

                    BTW, watch your quoting!

                    B73,
                    Andrea.

                    --
                    Homepage: http://andrea.borgia.bo.it / Amateur radio: IZ4FHT
                    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 7 12:00 PM
                      Andrea and Brian:

                      Tonight was my first experience with MT63. I worked IN3TTL and OH2HN on
                      14109.5. I just stood there with two pactor station whose signal were
                      strength 7 to 8 and called CQ on MT63. The QSO's were perfect with all that
                      strong interference. And as Andrea says MT63 can cope with interference.

                      MT63 I think is a fanatastic mode that should be used more and more instead
                      of RTTY or PSK31. It is first error free, second several MT63 could overlap
                      each other, so that practically there will be no loss of frequency band,
                      third its speed is very adequate to contests or chat.

                      73 de

                      Omar YK1AO
                      > > ALTHOUGH - the Pactor Goons seem to have taken over 14109.5 kHz.
                      > > "Use it or lose it" as the saying goes!!
                      >
                      > Too bad, MT63 is designed to cope with quite a lot of interference so it
                      > should be a nice test of its effectiveness.
                      >
                      > BTW, watch your quoting!
                      >
                      > B73,
                      > Andrea.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Homepage: http://andrea.borgia.bo.it / Amateur radio: IZ4FHT
                      > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
                      > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
                      > A: Top-posting.

                    • Andrea Borgia
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 7 1:20 PM
                        Omar Shabsigh wrote:

                        > MT63 I think is a fanatastic mode that should be used more and more instead
                        > of RTTY or PSK31. It is first error free, second several MT63 could overlap
                        > each other, so that practically there will be no loss of frequency band,
                        > third its speed is very adequate to contests or chat.

                        Hold it, don't get carried away: 8-)

                        1) if two different MT63 stations overlap significantly (more than 10%
                        of bandwidth), you can expect reduced performance and certainly you
                        can't carry on as if nothing had happened.

                        2) PSK31 has very good performance in qrp operations and is extremely
                        narrow: the philosophy behind the two designs is quite different.

                        3) the interleaver used by MT63 to mask the effects of interferences and
                        fading takes quite a while (up to a few seconds) to fill up and empty. I
                        still can't speak from experience, but my guess is that this would be
                        quite annoying during contesting.

                        Omar, you too need to watch your quoting ;-)

                        B73,
                        Andrea.

                        --
                        Homepage: http://andrea.borgia.bo.it / Amateur radio: IZ4FHT
                        A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 7 10:48 PM
                          Hello Omar,

                          OS> Let's organize a contest.

                          OS> Omar, YK1AO

                          Not CONTEST! Let us do "The Week of activity"

                          Please look over and join to the "WW Digi Top List" -
                          www.qsl.net/rw3aa

                          --
                          Best regards,
                          Vyacheslav mailto:rw3aa@...
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 7 11:06 PM
                            Right Andrea:

                            As you say that you are not speaking from experience, then let us solve this
                            by making some experience for everybody. Let us find a way to organize a
                            contest.

                            I ask all members of this group to help do this, please.

                            73

                            Omar, YK1AO

                            ***************************************

                            > > MT63 I think is a fanatastic mode that should be used more and more
                            instead
                            > > of RTTY or PSK31. It is first error free, second several MT63 could
                            overlap
                            > > each other, so that practically there will be no loss of frequency band,
                            > > third its speed is very adequate to contests or chat.
                            >
                            > Hold it, don't get carried away: 8-)
                            >
                            > 1) if two different MT63 stations overlap significantly (more than 10%
                            > of bandwidth), you can expect reduced performance and certainly you
                            > can't carry on as if nothing had happened.
                            >
                            > 2) PSK31 has very good performance in qrp operations and is extremely
                            > narrow: the philosophy behind the two designs is quite different.
                            >
                            > 3) the interleaver used by MT63 to mask the effects of interferences and
                            > fading takes quite a while (up to a few seconds) to fill up and empty. I
                            > still can't speak from experience, but my guess is that this would be
                            > quite annoying during contesting.
                            >

                            > Omar, you too need to watch your quoting ;-)
                            >

                            > B73,
                            > Andrea.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Homepage: http://andrea.borgia.bo.it / Amateur radio: IZ4FHT
                            > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
                            > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
                            > A: Top-posting.

                          • Brian Carling
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 8 2:23 AM
                              This is a VERY good idea, Vyacheslav !!

                              Ochen harasho !

                              In your web page at:
                              http://www.qsl.net/rw3aa/digi/wwdigi.html

                              you stated:
                              "There is one free row for you in the table! Take your place!"

                              How do we get a row on the list?
                              Just e-mail you our stats?

                              Excellent list there, Vyacheslav

                              I think thqat there is merit to doing a regular CQ CONTEST as well as doing a full
                              "Activity Week."

                              Let me hear you on 14109.5 some time. I will be listening every day for RW3AA ! !

                              Best of 73s de AF4K, Bry

                              On 8 Apr 2004 at 9:48, Vyacheslav wrote:

                              > Hello Omar,
                              >
                              > Wednesday, April 7, 2004, 12:42:53 AM, you wrote:
                              >
                              > OS> Let's organize a contest.
                              >
                              > OS> Omar, YK1AO
                              >

                              > Not CONTEST! Let us do "The Week of activity"
                              >

                              > Please look over and join to the "WW Digi Top List" -
                              > www.qsl.net/rw3aa
                              >
                              > --
                              > Best regards,
                              > Vyacheslav mailto:rw3aa@...

                            • omar shabsigh
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 8 2:42 AM
                                Dorogoy Vyacheslav:

                                Yes, I agree with you and that does exclude the idea of a contest. So why
                                don't you start something??

                                Best 73

                                Omar, YK1AO

                                ***************************************

                                > Wednesday, April 7, 2004, 12:42:53 AM, you wrote:
                                >
                                > OS> Let's organize a contest.
                                >
                                > OS> Omar, YK1AO
                                >

                                > Not CONTEST! Let us do "The Week of activity"
                                >

                                > Please look over and join to the "WW Digi Top List" -
                                > www.qsl.net/rw3aa
                                >
                                > --
                                > Best regards,
                                > Vyacheslav mailto:rw3aa@...

                              • omar shabsigh

                                  > "There is one free row for you in the table! Take your place!"
                                  >
                                  > How do we get a row on the list?
                                  > Just e-mail you our stats?
                                  >
                                  > Excellent list there, Vyacheslav
                                  >
                                  > I think thqat there is merit to doing a regular CQ CONTEST as well as
                                  doing a full
                                  > "Activity Week."
                                  >
                                  > Let me hear you on 14109.5 some time. I will be listening every day for
                                  RW3AA ! !

                                  > Best of 73s de AF4K, Bry
                                  >

                                  > On 8 Apr 2004 at 9:48, Vyacheslav wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Hello Omar,
                                  > >
                                  > > Wednesday, April 7, 2004, 12:42:53 AM, you wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > OS> Let's organize a contest.
                                  > >
                                  > > OS> Omar, YK1AO
                                  > >

                                  > > Not CONTEST! Let us do "The Week of activity"
                                  > >

                                  > > Please look over and join to the "WW Digi Top List" -
                                  > > www.qsl.net/rw3aa
                                  > >
                                  > > --
                                  > > Best regards,
                                  > > Vyacheslav mailto:rw3aa@...

                                • Brian Carling
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 9 7:09 PM
                                    Well done Omar!

                                    It's great to read this reaction to MT63 by a new user isn't
                                    it, guys!!

                                    Who else has recent MT63 QSOs to report?

                                    Hey I am on there calling CQ now and I will be on
                                    tomorrow (Saturday UTC)

                                    The band is popen late in Florida, I am glad to say!!

                                    73 to all

                                    On 7 Apr 2004 at 21:00, Omar Shabsigh wrote:

                                    > Tonight was my first experience with MT63. I worked IN3TTL and OH2HN
                                    > on 14109.5. I just stood there with two pactor station whose signal
                                    > were strength 7 to 8 and called CQ on MT63. The QSO's were perfect
                                    > with all that strong interference. And as Andrea says MT63 can cope
                                    > with interference.
                                    >
                                    > MT63 I think is a fanatastic mode that should be used more and more
                                    > instead of RTTY or PSK31. It is first error free, second several MT63
                                    > could overlap each other, so that practically there will be no loss of
                                    > frequency band, third its speed is very adequate to contests or chat.
                                    >
                                    > 73 de
                                    >
                                    > Omar YK1AO

                                  • Brian Carling
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 9 7:11 PM
                                      On 7 Apr 2004 at 22:20, Andrea Borgia wrote:

                                      > Omar, you too need to watch your quoting ;-)
                                      > B73,
                                      > Andrea.

                                      Please let there be no more rude comments like this to the list!
                                      The last thing we need is someone playing "net cop" to ruin
                                      things here.
                                    • Walt DuBose
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 9 7:28 PM
                                        Just a heads up...

                                        The ARRL Ad-Hoc Committee on ARES Communications (ARESCOM) has made a
                                        progress report to the ARRL Board of Directors.

                                        The report included a "proposal-in-progress" on the restructuring of NTS
                                        and ARES to best meet present and future emergency
                                        communication-response requirements.

                                        The committee has taken "the long view" of the Amateur Radio Emergency
                                        Service (ARES) and the National Traffic System (NTS) and their role in
                                        public service communications including both local/Section and national
                                        levels.

                                        The effort will "enhance ARES communications capability to include rapid
                                        and accurate handling of long-range (inter-state, national and
                                        international) emergency-related message traffic."

                                        The ARRL Board of Directors will consider re-defining the joint mission
                                        of ARES and NTS in its emergency communications roles in addition to the
                                        application of Winlink 2000 technology which uses Pactor.

                                        Walt/K5YFW
                                      • Brian Carling
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 9 9:25 PM
                                          On 9 Apr 2004 at 21:28, Walt DuBose wrote:

                                          > The ARRL Board of Directors will consider re-defining the joint
                                          > mission of ARES and NTS in its emergency communications roles in
                                          > addition to the application of Winlink 2000 technology which uses
                                          > Pactor.

                                          My guess is you need fancy equipment for those chirpy modes,
                                          unlike MT63 which can run on an inexpensive computer with
                                          a soundcard...

                                          A pity that ARRL wants things to go that direction, but I guess everything has its
                                          place!
                                        • Mark Miller
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 10 2:46 AM
                                            There is a well organized Winlink lobby within amateur radio.
                                            BTW I like the name of this thread because MT63 IS FANTASTIC. I have been
                                            listening out on 14.1095 but have not heard any activity. Maybe a contest
                                            is not in order, but I think someone suggested an activity day. Anyway
                                            MT63 is a great mode.

                                            73

                                            Mark N5RFX

                                            At 11:25 PM 4/9/2004, Brian Carling wrote:
                                            >On 9 Apr 2004 at 21:28, Walt DuBose wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > The ARRL Board of Directors will consider re-defining the joint
                                            > > mission of ARES and NTS in its emergency communications roles in
                                            > > addition to the application of Winlink 2000 technology which uses
                                            > > Pactor.
                                            >
                                            >My guess is you need fancy equipment for those chirpy modes,
                                            >unlike MT63 which can run on an inexpensive computer with
                                            >a soundcard...
                                            >
                                            >A pity that ARRL wants things to go that direction, but I guess everything
                                            >has its
                                            >place!
                                            >

                                            ><< Try MT63 on 80m - great fun!>>
                                            >
                                            >- The MT63 Reflector -
                                            > MT63@egroups.com
                                            >
                                            >(To unsubscribe. send email to
                                            >MT63-unsubscribe@onelist.com)
                                            >

                                            >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                            ><http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cjfqfdj/M=273541.4247506.5496806.4139299/D=egroupweb/S=1705034690:HM/EXP=1081657512/A=2061551/R=0/SIG=11sr5b9n1/*http://launch.yahoo.com/artist/videos.asp?artistID=1001301>
                                            >[]

                                            > *

                                          • Walt DuBose
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 10 5:48 AM
                                              Brian Carling wrote:

                                              > On 9 Apr 2004 at 21:28, Walt DuBose wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > The ARRL Board of Directors will consider re-defining the joint
                                              > > mission of ARES and NTS in its emergency communications roles in
                                              > > addition to the application of Winlink 2000 technology which uses
                                              > > Pactor.
                                              >
                                              > My guess is you need fancy equipment for those chirpy modes,
                                              > unlike MT63 which can run on an inexpensive computer with
                                              > a soundcard...
                                              >
                                              > A pity that ARRL wants things to go that direction, but I guess everything has its
                                              > place!

                                              Well for Pactor I and II, some "TNCs" such as made by Kantronics will
                                              run Pactor I and II. But Pactor I and II aren't nearly as robust as
                                              MT63 even though Pactor II is high speed with a goof SNR. (A good SNR is
                                              generally considered to be + 10 dB. MT63 works the same with a +10 dB
                                              SNR as it doesn at a 0 dB SNR).

                                              Pactor III is admittedly much higher speed than MT63 but again that is
                                              with a good SNR...there are no measurements published concerning its
                                              performance at a 0 dB SNR.

                                              The lowest priced Pactor hardware device with Pactor III license ($149
                                              US)
                                              is about $800.

                                              If you feel that the ARRL should not adopt Pactor III and WinLink (which
                                              only runs on Microsoft operating systems and is NOT open source), you
                                              might think about contacting your ARRL Division Director when the board
                                              publishes the report.

                                              Walt/K5YFW
                                            • Brian Carling
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 10 5:57 AM