Re: HF Modem Questions

  • jim_ag3y
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 25, 2004
      --- In MT63@yahoogroups.com, Mark Miller <kramrellim@c...> wrote:
      > At 10:00 AM 2/18/2004, you wrote:
      > Why would anyone receive a citation as long as they use the
      emissions set
      > forth in Part 97? The 80 through 10 meter bands have a phone/image
      subband
      > and a RTTY/Datra subband. If you are going to do phone, then today
      it must
      > be in the in the phone image subbands. If you are going to send
      files (not
      > images), it must be in the RTTY/Data subbands. The only possible
      error a
      > U.S. ham could make is not switching freqs in the 80 through 10
      meter bands
      > when switching from phone/image to data or visa versa.
      >
      > 73
      >
      > Mark N5RFX

      Hi guys: I have been following the discussions about
      digital/image/voice/etc./etc./etc. for some time now.

      I see two major areas that have the greatest concern over this
      situation.

      1). The guys that use MixW down in the "digital" portion of the HF
      bands have been able to send images using a modification of a fax
      protocol. They claim that since the bandwidth and baud rate, etc. do
      not exceed that of the MFSK protocol that launches the image file,
      that it is legal.

      2). The guys that send SSTV up in the SSB portion of the HF bands
      using conventional analog methods that have been accepted for quite
      some time now, have recently started sending "image files" using a
      couple of new protocols that are very digital in their look and
      feel. However, they claim that since the files they are sending and
      then processing on their computers are accepted image format files
      ( .bmp .jpg ) that they are actually sending images, and not digital
      files!

      To me, the line is very gray and fuzzy. It has been discussed at
      length on the SSTV, MIXW and other digital radio interest
      reflectors.

      I personally am not going to "test the waters" by sending these
      questionable modes over the air. Until I have seen a re-write of the
      Rules and Regulations by the F.C.C. itself, and a separation of the
      bands into "Voice/nonVoice" modes, I would rather be "safe than
      sorry".

      I know the F.C.C. has other, more pressing things on its mind right
      now, but wouldn't it be great if they would re-write their Rules&Regs
      and bring them up into the 21st century? Remember, the
      only "digital mode" that existed when the current rules were adopted
      was RTTY ! ( beside CW, of course )

      73 from Jim AG3Y
    • Brian Carling
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 6 6:36 AM
        On 25 Feb 2004 at 18:59, jim_ag3y wrote:

        > I know the F.C.C. has other, more pressing things on its mind right
        > now,

        Yes, I believe that they are busy selling the right to ruin the
        HF spectrum worldwide to the highest bidder, which is entirely illegal and in
        conntravention of international treaties.

        The name of their treasonous project: "BPL."

        > but wouldn't it be great if they would re-write their Rules&Regs
        > and bring them up into the 21st century? Remember, the only "digital
        > mode" that existed when the current rules were adopted was RTTY ! (
        > beside CW, of course )
        >
        > 73 from Jim AG3Y
      • Brian Carling
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 6, 2004
          Well guys I called CQ for a couple of hours today on 14109.5 USB but no takers.

          What do you thunk we can do to publicize MT63 and let the rest of the world of
          hams know just what a great mode this is?!

          Any ideas??

          73s - Brian, AF4K in Sanford, FL
        • Mark Jones
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 6, 2004
            All

            I used MT63 for a while and found it an amazing mode, I had difficulties
            running my FT-920 in "data" mode and eventually resorted to the "phone
            patch" jack. It seems there was a 500K filter in line inside the radio in
            "data" mode, anyhow, I persisted. Could work great distances when the
            incoming audio was non-existent! Amazing, worked VK from G-land!

            Many a morning I would listen to 14.109.5 at abt 6:00Z and join in, it
            seemed to be the same few stations working the same chums. After a while I
            managed to get in, but I then messed up who to pass it too - in such a big
            group it got a bit awesome. It was as much as I could do to drive the
            software let alone keep up with the next guy in turn! I gave up.

            Fantastic mode, very w-i-d-e and works well, shame it's not in use when the
            bands are quiet.

            If anyone wants a contact I can still run the mode easily.

            Regards,

            Well guys I called CQ for a couple of hours today on 14109.5 USB but no
            takers.

            What do you thunk we can do to publicize MT63 and let the rest of the world
            of
            hams know just what a great mode this is?!

            Any ideas??

            73s - Brian, AF4K in Sanford, FL

            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/CPMolB/TM

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Omar Shabsigh
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 6, 2004
              Let's organize a contest.

              Omar, YK1AO

              ******************************
              > Well guys I called CQ for a couple of hours today on 14109.5 USB but no
              takers.

              > What do you thunk we can do to publicize MT63 and let the rest of the
              world of
              > hams know just what a great mode this is?!
              >
              > Any ideas??
              >
              > 73s - Brian, AF4K in Sanford, FL

            • Brian Carling
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 6, 2004
                Great - how about a sked for tomorrow Mark?

                I can come on any time.
                What is the best time for getting into W4 land from your area?

                Best 73s - Brian Carling, AF4K

                (Ex-G3XLQ)

                On 6 Apr 2004 at 20:44, Mark Jones wrote:

                > All
                >
                > I used MT63 for a while and found it an amazing mode, I had
                > difficulties running my FT-920 in "data" mode and eventually resorted
                > to the "phone patch" jack. It seems there was a 500K filter in line
                > inside the radio in "data" mode, anyhow, I persisted. Could work great
                > distances when the incoming audio was non-existent! Amazing, worked VK
                > from G-land!
                >
                > Many a morning I would listen to 14.109.5 at abt 6:00Z and join in, it
                > seemed to be the same few stations working the same chums. After a
                > while I managed to get in, but I then messed up who to pass it too -
                > in such a big group it got a bit awesome. It was as much as I could do
                > to drive the software let alone keep up with the next guy in turn! I
                > gave up.
                >
                > Fantastic mode, very w-i-d-e and works well, shame it's not in use
                > when the bands are quiet.
                >
                > If anyone wants a contact I can still run the mode easily.
                >
                > Regards,

              • Andrea Borgia
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 7, 2004
                  Brian Carling wrote:

                  > What do you thunk we can do to publicize MT63 and let the rest of the world of
                  > hams know just what a great mode this is?!

                  This saturday I'll be at IY4FGM (the memorial station at Marconi's Villa
                  Griffone) and I plan to operate MT63 as well, perhaps after local lunchtime.

                  Stay tuned,
                  Andrea.

                  --
                  Homepage: http://andrea.borgia.bo.it / Amateur radio: IZ4FHT
                  A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 7, 2004
                    Wonderful! I will be listening for you!

                    On 7 Apr 2004 at 9:49, Andrea Borgia wrote:

                    > Brian Carling wrote:
                    >

                    > > What do you thunk we can do to publicize MT63 and let the rest of
                    > > the world of hams know just what a great mode this is?!
                    >
                    > This saturday I'll be at IY4FGM (the memorial station at Marconi's
                    > Villa Griffone) and I plan to operate MT63 as well, perhaps after
                    > local lunchtime.
                    >
                    > Stay tuned,
                    > Andrea.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Homepage: http://andrea.borgia.bo.it / Amateur radio: IZ4FHT A:
                    > Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q:
                    > Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the
                    > most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

                    > ---------------------~--> Music that listens to you. LAUNCHcast.
                    > What's in your mix?
                    > http://us.click.yahoo.com/4ZDxEA/FARHAA/kkyPAA/CPMolB/TM

                  • Brian Carling
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 7, 2004
                      ALTHOUGH - the Pactor Goons seem to have taken over 14109.5 kHz.

                      "Use it or lose it" as the saying goes!!

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 7, 2004
                        Brian Carling wrote:

                        > ALTHOUGH - the Pactor Goons seem to have taken over 14109.5 kHz.
                        > "Use it or lose it" as the saying goes!!

                        Too bad, MT63 is designed to cope with quite a lot of interference so it
                        should be a nice test of its effectiveness.

                        BTW, watch your quoting!

                        B73,
                        Andrea.

                        --
                        Homepage: http://andrea.borgia.bo.it / Amateur radio: IZ4FHT
                        A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 7, 2004
                          Andrea and Brian:

                          Tonight was my first experience with MT63. I worked IN3TTL and OH2HN on
                          14109.5. I just stood there with two pactor station whose signal were
                          strength 7 to 8 and called CQ on MT63. The QSO's were perfect with all that
                          strong interference. And as Andrea says MT63 can cope with interference.

                          MT63 I think is a fanatastic mode that should be used more and more instead
                          of RTTY or PSK31. It is first error free, second several MT63 could overlap
                          each other, so that practically there will be no loss of frequency band,
                          third its speed is very adequate to contests or chat.

                          73 de

                          Omar YK1AO
                          > > ALTHOUGH - the Pactor Goons seem to have taken over 14109.5 kHz.
                          > > "Use it or lose it" as the saying goes!!
                          >
                          > Too bad, MT63 is designed to cope with quite a lot of interference so it
                          > should be a nice test of its effectiveness.
                          >
                          > BTW, watch your quoting!
                          >
                          > B73,
                          > Andrea.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Homepage: http://andrea.borgia.bo.it / Amateur radio: IZ4FHT
                          > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
                          > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
                          > A: Top-posting.

                        • Andrea Borgia
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 7, 2004
                            Omar Shabsigh wrote:

                            > MT63 I think is a fanatastic mode that should be used more and more instead
                            > of RTTY or PSK31. It is first error free, second several MT63 could overlap
                            > each other, so that practically there will be no loss of frequency band,
                            > third its speed is very adequate to contests or chat.

                            Hold it, don't get carried away: 8-)

                            1) if two different MT63 stations overlap significantly (more than 10%
                            of bandwidth), you can expect reduced performance and certainly you
                            can't carry on as if nothing had happened.

                            2) PSK31 has very good performance in qrp operations and is extremely
                            narrow: the philosophy behind the two designs is quite different.

                            3) the interleaver used by MT63 to mask the effects of interferences and
                            fading takes quite a while (up to a few seconds) to fill up and empty. I
                            still can't speak from experience, but my guess is that this would be
                            quite annoying during contesting.

                            Omar, you too need to watch your quoting ;-)

                            B73,
                            Andrea.

                            --
                            Homepage: http://andrea.borgia.bo.it / Amateur radio: IZ4FHT
                            A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 7, 2004
                              Hello Omar,

                              OS> Let's organize a contest.

                              OS> Omar, YK1AO

                              Not CONTEST! Let us do "The Week of activity"

                              Please look over and join to the "WW Digi Top List" -
                              www.qsl.net/rw3aa

                              --
                              Best regards,
                              Vyacheslav mailto:rw3aa@...
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 7, 2004
                                Right Andrea:

                                As you say that you are not speaking from experience, then let us solve this
                                by making some experience for everybody. Let us find a way to organize a
                                contest.

                                I ask all members of this group to help do this, please.

                                73

                                Omar, YK1AO

                                ***************************************

                                > > MT63 I think is a fanatastic mode that should be used more and more
                                instead
                                > > of RTTY or PSK31. It is first error free, second several MT63 could
                                overlap
                                > > each other, so that practically there will be no loss of frequency band,
                                > > third its speed is very adequate to contests or chat.
                                >
                                > Hold it, don't get carried away: 8-)
                                >
                                > 1) if two different MT63 stations overlap significantly (more than 10%
                                > of bandwidth), you can expect reduced performance and certainly you
                                > can't carry on as if nothing had happened.
                                >
                                > 2) PSK31 has very good performance in qrp operations and is extremely
                                > narrow: the philosophy behind the two designs is quite different.
                                >
                                > 3) the interleaver used by MT63 to mask the effects of interferences and
                                > fading takes quite a while (up to a few seconds) to fill up and empty. I
                                > still can't speak from experience, but my guess is that this would be
                                > quite annoying during contesting.
                                >

                                > Omar, you too need to watch your quoting ;-)
                                >

                                > B73,
                                > Andrea.
                                >
                                > --
                                > Homepage: http://andrea.borgia.bo.it / Amateur radio: IZ4FHT
                                > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
                                > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
                                > A: Top-posting.

                              • Brian Carling
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 8, 2004
                                  This is a VERY good idea, Vyacheslav !!

                                  Ochen harasho !

                                  In your web page at:
                                  http://www.qsl.net/rw3aa/digi/wwdigi.html

                                  you stated:
                                  "There is one free row for you in the table! Take your place!"

                                  How do we get a row on the list?
                                  Just e-mail you our stats?

                                  Excellent list there, Vyacheslav

                                  I think thqat there is merit to doing a regular CQ CONTEST as well as doing a full
                                  "Activity Week."

                                  Let me hear you on 14109.5 some time. I will be listening every day for RW3AA ! !

                                  Best of 73s de AF4K, Bry

                                  On 8 Apr 2004 at 9:48, Vyacheslav wrote:

                                  > Hello Omar,
                                  >
                                  > Wednesday, April 7, 2004, 12:42:53 AM, you wrote:
                                  >
                                  > OS> Let's organize a contest.
                                  >
                                  > OS> Omar, YK1AO
                                  >

                                  > Not CONTEST! Let us do "The Week of activity"
                                  >

                                  > Please look over and join to the "WW Digi Top List" -
                                  > www.qsl.net/rw3aa
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Best regards,
                                  > Vyacheslav mailto:rw3aa@...

                                • omar shabsigh
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 8, 2004
                                    Dorogoy Vyacheslav:

                                    Yes, I agree with you and that does exclude the idea of a contest. So why
                                    don't you start something??

                                    Best 73

                                    Omar, YK1AO

                                    ***************************************

                                    > Wednesday, April 7, 2004, 12:42:53 AM, you wrote:
                                    >
                                    > OS> Let's organize a contest.
                                    >
                                    > OS> Omar, YK1AO
                                    >

                                    > Not CONTEST! Let us do "The Week of activity"
                                    >

                                    > Please look over and join to the "WW Digi Top List" -
                                    > www.qsl.net/rw3aa
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Best regards,
                                    > Vyacheslav mailto:rw3aa@...

                                  • omar shabsigh

                                      > "There is one free row for you in the table! Take your place!"
                                      >
                                      > How do we get a row on the list?
                                      > Just e-mail you our stats?
                                      >
                                      > Excellent list there, Vyacheslav
                                      >
                                      > I think thqat there is merit to doing a regular CQ CONTEST as well as
                                      doing a full
                                      > "Activity Week."
                                      >
                                      > Let me hear you on 14109.5 some time. I will be listening every day for
                                      RW3AA ! !

                                      > Best of 73s de AF4K, Bry
                                      >

                                      > On 8 Apr 2004 at 9:48, Vyacheslav wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Hello Omar,
                                      > >
                                      > > Wednesday, April 7, 2004, 12:42:53 AM, you wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > OS> Let's organize a contest.
                                      > >
                                      > > OS> Omar, YK1AO
                                      > >

                                      > > Not CONTEST! Let us do "The Week of activity"
                                      > >

                                      > > Please look over and join to the "WW Digi Top List" -
                                      > > www.qsl.net/rw3aa
                                      > >
                                      > > --
                                      > > Best regards,
                                      > > Vyacheslav mailto:rw3aa@...

                                    • Brian Carling
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 9, 2004
                                        Well done Omar!

                                        It's great to read this reaction to MT63 by a new user isn't
                                        it, guys!!

                                        Who else has recent MT63 QSOs to report?

                                        Hey I am on there calling CQ now and I will be on
                                        tomorrow (Saturday UTC)

                                        The band is popen late in Florida, I am glad to say!!

                                        73 to all

                                        On 7 Apr 2004 at 21:00, Omar Shabsigh wrote:

                                        > Tonight was my first experience with MT63. I worked IN3TTL and OH2HN
                                        > on 14109.5. I just stood there with two pactor station whose signal
                                        > were strength 7 to 8 and called CQ on MT63. The QSO's were perfect
                                        > with all that strong interference. And as Andrea says MT63 can cope
                                        > with interference.
                                        >
                                        > MT63 I think is a fanatastic mode that should be used more and more
                                        > instead of RTTY or PSK31. It is first error free, second several MT63
                                        > could overlap each other, so that practically there will be no loss of
                                        > frequency band, third its speed is very adequate to contests or chat.
                                        >
                                        > 73 de
                                        >
                                        > Omar YK1AO

                                      • Brian Carling
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 9, 2004
                                          On 7 Apr 2004 at 22:20, Andrea Borgia wrote:

                                          > Omar, you too need to watch your quoting ;-)
                                          > B73,
                                          > Andrea.

                                          Please let there be no more rude comments like this to the list!
                                          The last thing we need is someone playing "net cop" to ruin
                                          things here.
                                        • Walt DuBose
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 9, 2004
                                            Just a heads up...

                                            The ARRL Ad-Hoc Committee on ARES Communications (ARESCOM) has made a
                                            progress report to the ARRL Board of Directors.

                                            The report included a "proposal-in-progress" on the restructuring of NTS
                                            and ARES to best meet present and future emergency
                                            communication-response requirements.

                                            The committee has taken "the long view" of the Amateur Radio Emergency
                                            Service (ARES) and the National Traffic System (NTS) and their role in
                                            public service communications including both local/Section and national
                                            levels.

                                            The effort will "enhance ARES communications capability to include rapid
                                            and accurate handling of long-range (inter-state, national and
                                            international) emergency-related message traffic."

                                            The ARRL Board of Directors will consider re-defining the joint mission
                                            of ARES and NTS in its emergency communications roles in addition to the
                                            application of Winlink 2000 technology which uses Pactor.

                                            Walt/K5YFW
                                          • Brian Carling
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 9, 2004
                                              On 9 Apr 2004 at 21:28, Walt DuBose wrote:

                                              > The ARRL Board of Directors will consider re-defining the joint
                                              > mission of ARES and NTS in its emergency communications roles in
                                              > addition to the application of Winlink 2000 technology which uses
                                              > Pactor.

                                              My guess is you need fancy equipment for those chirpy modes,
                                              unlike MT63 which can run on an inexpensive computer with
                                              a soundcard...

                                              A pity that ARRL wants things to go that direction, but I guess everything has its
                                              place!
                                            • Mark Miller
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 10, 2004
                                                There is a well organized Winlink lobby within amateur radio.
                                                BTW I like the name of this thread because MT63 IS FANTASTIC. I have been
                                                listening out on 14.1095 but have not heard any activity. Maybe a contest
                                                is not in order, but I think someone suggested an activity day. Anyway
                                                MT63 is a great mode.

                                                73

                                                Mark N5RFX

                                                At 11:25 PM 4/9/2004, Brian Carling wrote:
                                                >On 9 Apr 2004 at 21:28, Walt DuBose wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > The ARRL Board of Directors will consider re-defining the joint
                                                > > mission of ARES and NTS in its emergency communications roles in
                                                > > addition to the application of Winlink 2000 technology which uses
                                                > > Pactor.
                                                >
                                                >My guess is you need fancy equipment for those chirpy modes,
                                                >unlike MT63 which can run on an inexpensive computer with
                                                >a soundcard...
                                                >
                                                >A pity that ARRL wants things to go that direction, but I guess everything
                                                >has its
                                                >place!
                                                >

                                                ><< Try MT63 on 80m - great fun!>>
                                                >
                                                >- The MT63 Reflector -
                                                > MT63@egroups.com
                                                >
                                                >(To unsubscribe. send email to
                                                >MT63-unsubscribe@onelist.com)
                                                >

                                                >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                                ><http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cjfqfdj/M=273541.4247506.5496806.4139299/D=egroupweb/S=1705034690:HM/EXP=1081657512/A=2061551/R=0/SIG=11sr5b9n1/*http://launch.yahoo.com/artist/videos.asp?artistID=1001301>
                                                >[]

                                                > *

                                              • Walt DuBose
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 10, 2004
                                                  Brian Carling wrote:

                                                  > On 9 Apr 2004 at 21:28, Walt DuBose wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > The ARRL Board of Directors will consider re-defining the joint
                                                  > > mission of ARES and NTS in its emergency communications roles in
                                                  > > addition to the application of Winlink 2000 technology which uses
                                                  > > Pactor.
                                                  >
                                                  > My guess is you need fancy equipment for those chirpy modes,
                                                  > unlike MT63 which can run on an inexpensive computer with
                                                  > a soundcard...
                                                  >
                                                  > A pity that ARRL wants things to go that direction, but I guess everything has its
                                                  > place!

                                                  Well for Pactor I and II, some "TNCs" such as made by Kantronics will
                                                  run Pactor I and II. But Pactor I and II aren't nearly as robust as
                                                  MT63 even though Pactor II is high speed with a goof SNR. (A good SNR is
                                                  generally considered to be + 10 dB. MT63 works the same with a +10 dB
                                                  SNR as it doesn at a 0 dB SNR).

                                                  Pactor III is admittedly much higher speed than MT63 but again that is
                                                  with a good SNR...there are no measurements published concerning its
                                                  performance at a 0 dB SNR.

                                                  The lowest priced Pactor hardware device with Pactor III license ($149
                                                  US)
                                                  is about $800.

                                                  If you feel that the ARRL should not adopt Pactor III and WinLink (which
                                                  only runs on Microsoft operating systems and is NOT open source), you
                                                  might think about contacting your ARRL Division Director when the board
                                                  publishes the report.

                                                  Walt/K5YFW
                                                • Brian Carling
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Apr 10, 2004