Re: [MT63] Digest Number 605

  • Greenman Family
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2003
      Since you guys are discussing MT63 on the lower bands, I'll tell you of my
      experiences.

      I've used MT63 on 80m quite a bit, and have no trouble working 2000km or
      more on 1W. I am confident I can work anyone in the South Pacific (given the
      activity that is!), and have certainly worked, VK, 3D2, FK8, ZK etc. In
      fact, of the several QSO's I've had on 80m with Des ZK1DD, one of them I
      never heard his signal once during the whole QSO! I was running 100mW, and
      he was running something similar. At 3000km or so, that's pretty good
      distance per watt.

      The standard long interleave 1kHz mode works best on 80m. It handles both
      noisy nights and the urban hash very well. I run a net on Friday nights
      where we use MT63 from time to time, and I typically run 1W - there's never
      a need to run more.

    • jim_ag3y
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2003
        Hello Murray, it's great to see you on the reflector again!

        I sit in amazment at your success in running such low power. My
        experience has been that the error rate esculates rather rapidly if
        the tones are not fairly visable on the "waterfall" or audible in the
        speaker.

        I know you have an excellent web page with the theory and application
        of this excellent mode, but could you briefly share with us some of
        the methods you use to get the error rate down when the signals are
        so low in level as to be hardly audible or visible on the waterfall?

        Do you use DSP or extra filtration?

        We all love this excellent mode and would love to learn more about
        how to make it work even better for us.

        Thanks again for your hard work in developing and promoting this
        wonderful mode!

        73 and Happy New Year from Jim AG3Y