Re: Fw: [MT63] (unknown)

  • jim_ag3y
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2003
      Hi Francisco, I regret to tell you that your 66 Mhz computer will
      probably not cut it for MT63. I can tell you from experience that
      you will need a computer in excess of 100 Mhz to run the sound card
      modes successfully. You also will not be able to use the TNC for
      such modes as MT63,MFSK16,PSK31,or QPSK. All of these digital modes
      convert text directly into audio tones and back again, using
      a "Soundblaster compatible" sound card.

      My recommendation would be for you to be looking for a used 200-300
      Mhz class Pentium computer with a 16 bit Soundblaster compatible
      sound card at some pawn shop, yard sale, or hamfest/computer show.
      Certainly the new multi-gegahertz machines are nice, and will allow
      you to do virtually everything that is being introduced now days,
      including the latest digital slowscan, etc. But you should be able to
      get a much more modest machine for very little money that will do all
      the text modes and some of the less demanding video modes, such as
      conventional analog SSTV!

      Hope this answer helps!

      73 from Jim AG3Y

      --- In MT63@yahoogroups.com, Francisco O Acosta <ke6zui@j...> wrote:

      > HI there, my equipment is a kenwood 450s hf and my tnc is kam plus
      > and my computer is an ibm 450 ps/2 150mb running about 66mhz
      > mem 30mb software is in dos 6.22 and for communication is KaGOLD
      > operating in Amtor B, rtty 75, and pactor.
      > Now i want to operate in mt63, is my station is ok...
      >

      > 73 de Francisco O. Acosta Com:Software Pacterm/KaGOLD
    • Brian Carling
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 10, 2003
        Francisco can easily find one of these for free by the side of the road these days.
        Many businesses, like hospitals in particular, throw them away frequently as they
        upgrade. A good bet is to call your local hospitals and ask for the "Biomedical
        Engineering" or
        "Clinical Engineering" Department. Ask the guys if they have any
        computers that they are throwing away, taty a ham radio op could have for use as
        a data terminal. You will very likely be able to haul away something for free. They
        are often glad to have it go to you rather than the dumpster. One caveat - you are
        going to get a hard disk drive that is totally WIPED due to hospital privacy.

        Nowadays we have HIPPA thank sto Congress after some unscrupulous lady in
        Dallas was going through the computers at the hospital where she worked nad
        SELLING patient treatement records to LAWYERS
        who then sued the doctors for malpractice. Not nice. Hence they are
        VERY cautious about data getting out. You wil do better with the small to medium
        sized hospital.

        If you don't succeed - ask businesses in your area. They are often HAPPY to
        dispose of old computers without having to pay to
        trash them. If they are worried about data privacy tell them to remove the hard
        drive first!

        If all of the above fails, drive through your neighborhood early on trash day and
        you can easily find a used slower pentium class
        machine by the side of the road most weeks! I see them
        almost every week in my area. As people upgrade they
        throw out the old machine!

        See you on MT63 soon!

        Bry, AF4K
        14109.5 on weekends

        On 20 Nov 2003 at 15:15, jim_ag3y wrote:

        > My recommendation would be for you to be looking for a used 200-300
        > Mhz class Pentium computer with a 16 bit Soundblaster compatible sound
        > card at some pawn shop, yard sale, or hamfest/computer show.
      • Francisco O Acosta
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 10, 2003
          TNX, Mr. Bry I went up north and got the computer is 166Mhz with 2gb 32Mb

          memory think I need more memory. because is very slow but it works very
          well.
          with my TNC it works in Amtor, Pastor and ratty 75. I'm having soon the
          RASCO
          for the sound cars and I own the MixW Software I'm getting ready very
          soon
          We be talking in MT63 soon or in any other modes.

          TNX for hospital info.

          73 de Francisco O. Acosta Software: Pacterm/KaGOLD/MixW2
          USMC 2151776 " Semper Fi" The Few , The Proud, The Marines
          44713 Tarragon Dive For God, Country, Duty, Honor
          Lancaster, Ca. 93536-6409 E-Mail nnn0esh@... or
          (661) 948-3942 NNN0ESH ke6zui@...
          .
        • jim_ag3y
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 11, 2003
            Hi Francisco, If your computer is running slowly, make sure that
            the "turbo" jumper is installed properly, or a switch is in the right
            position. Some of the Pentium II class machines still have
            that "turbo" switch on the front panel.

            Also, make sure that the hard drive is all "defragmented" and that
            any unnecessary files or programs that you know you are not going to
            be using are cleaned off the disk. "defragging" the hard drive will
            clear up a lot of "slow operation" problems.

            I hope to hear you on the air some day. Feel free to contact me
            directly as you have done in the past, or through the group.