Fw: [MT63] (unknown)

  • Francisco O Acosta
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2003
      HI there, my equipment is a kenwood 450s hf and my tnc is kam plus
      and my computer is an ibm 450 ps/2 150mb running about 66mhz
      mem 30mb software is in dos 6.22 and for communication is KaGOLD
      operating in Amtor B, rtty 75, and pactor.
      Now i want to operate in mt63, is my station is ok...

      73 de Francisco O. Acosta Com:Software Pacterm/KaGOLD
      USMC 2151776 " Semper Fi" The Few , The Proud, The Marines
      44713 Tarragon Dive For God, Country, Duty, Honor
      Lancaster, Ca. 93536-6409 E-Mail nnn0esh@... or
      (661) 948-3942 NNN0ESH ke6zui@...

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      << Try MT63 on 80m - great fun!>>

      - The MT63 Reflector -
      MT63@egroups.com

      (To unsubscribe. send email to
      MT63-unsubscribe@onelist.com)

    • jim_ag3y
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 20, 2003
        Hi Francisco, I regret to tell you that your 66 Mhz computer will
        probably not cut it for MT63. I can tell you from experience that
        you will need a computer in excess of 100 Mhz to run the sound card
        modes successfully. You also will not be able to use the TNC for
        such modes as MT63,MFSK16,PSK31,or QPSK. All of these digital modes
        convert text directly into audio tones and back again, using
        a "Soundblaster compatible" sound card.

        My recommendation would be for you to be looking for a used 200-300
        Mhz class Pentium computer with a 16 bit Soundblaster compatible
        sound card at some pawn shop, yard sale, or hamfest/computer show.
        Certainly the new multi-gegahertz machines are nice, and will allow
        you to do virtually everything that is being introduced now days,
        including the latest digital slowscan, etc. But you should be able to
        get a much more modest machine for very little money that will do all
        the text modes and some of the less demanding video modes, such as
        conventional analog SSTV!

        Hope this answer helps!

        73 from Jim AG3Y

        --- In MT63@yahoogroups.com, Francisco O Acosta <ke6zui@j...> wrote:

        > HI there, my equipment is a kenwood 450s hf and my tnc is kam plus
        > and my computer is an ibm 450 ps/2 150mb running about 66mhz
        > mem 30mb software is in dos 6.22 and for communication is KaGOLD
        > operating in Amtor B, rtty 75, and pactor.
        > Now i want to operate in mt63, is my station is ok...
        >

        > 73 de Francisco O. Acosta Com:Software Pacterm/KaGOLD
      • Brian Carling
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 10, 2003
          Francisco can easily find one of these for free by the side of the road these days.
          Many businesses, like hospitals in particular, throw them away frequently as they
          upgrade. A good bet is to call your local hospitals and ask for the "Biomedical
          Engineering" or
          "Clinical Engineering" Department. Ask the guys if they have any
          computers that they are throwing away, taty a ham radio op could have for use as
          a data terminal. You will very likely be able to haul away something for free. They
          are often glad to have it go to you rather than the dumpster. One caveat - you are
          going to get a hard disk drive that is totally WIPED due to hospital privacy.

          Nowadays we have HIPPA thank sto Congress after some unscrupulous lady in
          Dallas was going through the computers at the hospital where she worked nad
          SELLING patient treatement records to LAWYERS
          who then sued the doctors for malpractice. Not nice. Hence they are
          VERY cautious about data getting out. You wil do better with the small to medium
          sized hospital.

          If you don't succeed - ask businesses in your area. They are often HAPPY to
          dispose of old computers without having to pay to
          trash them. If they are worried about data privacy tell them to remove the hard
          drive first!

          If all of the above fails, drive through your neighborhood early on trash day and
          you can easily find a used slower pentium class
          machine by the side of the road most weeks! I see them
          almost every week in my area. As people upgrade they
          throw out the old machine!

          See you on MT63 soon!

          Bry, AF4K
          14109.5 on weekends

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 10, 2003
            TNX, Mr. Bry I went up north and got the computer is 166Mhz with 2gb 32Mb

            memory think I need more memory. because is very slow but it works very
            well.
            with my TNC it works in Amtor, Pastor and ratty 75. I'm having soon the
            RASCO
            for the sound cars and I own the MixW Software I'm getting ready very
            soon
            We be talking in MT63 soon or in any other modes.

            TNX for hospital info.

            73 de Francisco O. Acosta Software: Pacterm/KaGOLD/MixW2
            USMC 2151776 " Semper Fi" The Few , The Proud, The Marines
            44713 Tarragon Dive For God, Country, Duty, Honor
            Lancaster, Ca. 93536-6409 E-Mail nnn0esh@... or
            (661) 948-3942 NNN0ESH ke6zui@...
            .
          • jim_ag3y
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 11, 2003
              Hi Francisco, If your computer is running slowly, make sure that
              the "turbo" jumper is installed properly, or a switch is in the right
              position. Some of the Pentium II class machines still have
              that "turbo" switch on the front panel.

              Also, make sure that the hard drive is all "defragmented" and that
              any unnecessary files or programs that you know you are not going to
              be using are cleaned off the disk. "defragging" the hard drive will
              clear up a lot of "slow operation" problems.

              I hope to hear you on the air some day. Feel free to contact me
              directly as you have done in the past, or through the group.