Microsoft "patch" email

  • Howard L Ritter, Jr
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
      In case any newbies on this reflector aren't aware, this supposed patch is a virus. The attachment has been stripped by the reflector software, so there's no danger here, but you may receive similar messages in other contexts with the attachment intact.

      Ironically, if you follow the links included (for authenticity) in the message, you'll come to Microsoft's own warning about this kind of message, and the statement that their updates are never sent out as attachments, but are available only by download from the MS site!

      Caveat computor.

      --howard n7exn

    • Mike Pastorcich
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
        All,

        Thanks to Howard for reminding everyone about the virus spammer that
        left these fake Microsoft messages on the reflector. Microsoft does
        not email directly to consumers regarding products, technical
        support, upgrades, patches, etc. Any such email is spam and most
        likely contains a virus or worm.

        I have banned this particular spammer from the membership list but
        everyone should be on alert for other fake information that gets
        through occasionally to the message board.

        73,
        Mike KF4HEY
        Moderator

        --- In MT63@yahoogroups.com, "Howard L Ritter, Jr" <hlritter@m...>
        wrote:
        > In case any newbies on this reflector aren't aware, this supposed
        patch is a virus. The attachment has been stripped by the reflector
        software, so there's no danger here, but you may receive similar
        messages in other contexts with the attachment intact.

        > Ironically, if you follow the links included (for authenticity) in
        the message, you'll come to Microsoft's own warning about this kind
        of message, and the statement that their updates are never sent out
        as attachments, but are available only by download from the MS site!

        > Caveat computor.
        >
        > --howard n7exn

      • Bruce - KB6LWN/rcc
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
          Thanks Mike,

          This is the very reason many lists ban such topics related
          to virae or viral warnings, but there always seems to be some
          good soul doing their civic duty (or what they perceive it to be)
          by posting warnings and then getting defensive when someone tells
          them to knock it off... Go figure.

          In this case, however, since the attack was actually perpetrated
          IN this list - I see no problem with making note of it, here...
          And even though I'm not a bit concerned about it on this end
          (Linux), Thank you Howard, for the reminder of why I ran away
          screaming at high speed in the opposite direction from WinDohs
          a number of years ago. ;)

          I suppose at some point SOME devilish soul will figure out a
          way to infect Linux and OS/2, and on that day I guess I'll be
          looking for the next securable OS... OS's come and go, Windohs
          time has come and gone - it's time for the rest of the 'newbies'
          to move onto the next OS so as not to clutter things up for those
          of us already there. If everyone would just say NO! to Windohs
          these virus' would go away for the most part...

          Windows is NOT the Answer...
          Windows is the Question...
          NO! Is the Answer!

          --