Dealing With Spam

  • Mike Pastorcich
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2003
      All,

      As everyone who uses the internet knows, the blight of junk e-mail
      (spam) has increased dramatically in the past months and the Yahoo
      Groups are not immune. There have been several instances of
      questionable and/or pornographic spam postings on this Group as well
      as several others to which I subscribe and act as volunteer
      Moderator. These groups have an open membership policy, as it should
      be with Amateur Radio, and this has led some spammers to take
      advantage of our friendly nature.

      I along with the other moderators do not have the time nor the
      inclination to place these groups on moderated status to check every
      posting and membership application. We will do our best to delete
      the offensive material ASAP and to ban the spammer. As a moderator I
      will ban anyone who places such material on this group. Be warned
      that some spammers will use your address as an alias and as such you
      may find yourself banned. If this happens send me or the Owner a
      message and you will be re-instated. Our apologies for such drastic
      measures but with so many barbarians at the gate we must do what is
      feasible to keep the group free of offensive material.

      There is one additional option open to you as a Group member to keep
      spam out of your email in-box. You may elect to not have the Group
      messages sent to you as e-mail. You may go to the Group homepage at:
      the "No email" option. Then go to the My Groups page and bookmark it
      as a Favorite on your browser. At this page you will see all your
      Yahoo Groups. You then select the group you wish to browse and you
      will be taken to the group homepage. There you will see the last 5
      posted messages or you may select the Messages link on the left and
      the entire message archive will be selected and you may read any
      message from there. Also from the Group homepage you have access to
      all the other functions of Yahoo Groups. I am a member of 10 Yahoo
      Groups and have used this option for a long time to participate in
      the group discussions without worry of what might appear in my e-mail
      from the groups.

      73,
      Mike KF4HEY
      Moderator