MT-63 frequencies?

  • Gary Kohtala
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2003
      Hello... I am very new to MT-63. In the several days I have been on
      the mode, I have gathered the following frequencies as being used:

      ---
      1.822.0 LSB

      3.560.0, 3.590.0, 3.610.0, 3.635.0 LSB

      7.037 LSB

      10.142.0, 10.145.0 USB

      14.095.5, 14.105.5, 14.107.5, 14.109.5 (Most operate at 14.109.3),
      14.110.0, 14.113.0, 14.114.0 USB

      18.105.0 USB

      21.130.0 USB

      24.925.0 USB

      28.130.0 USB

      50.290.0 USB
      ---

      I understand that MT-63 is considered a "wide" digital mode. The
      implications of this is that we cannot legally use it except on a very
      explicit portion of each band where "wide" modes are authorized (At
      least not in the USA). Has anyone researched this with the FCC and
      gotten official comment? I would like to verify this assumption. My
      own personal feeling is that a digital mode is a digital mode and that
      they should all be in the lower reaches of the various bands, without
      any specific sliver of frequency set aside for wide and/or narrow
      modes... Let this be specified by gentlemen's agreement... Before I
      jump into this head first and arbitrarily start transmitting, I would
      like to get confirmation that the frequencies listed above are
      actually authorized for use by USA stations running MT-63.

      So far I have not been able to make any contacts on MT-63. I have been
      listening intently on all bands but so far have heard absolutely
      nothing.... If you know of any frequencies besides those listed
      above, I would be very grateful if you would share them with me and
      the list.

      Looking forward to meeting you on MT-63 sometime... This seems to be
      the cutting edge. I have always loved digital modes and am daily
      active one one or another...

      73,

      Gary, W7NTF
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2003
        Hi Gary,

        Welcome to MT63, it is indeed a great mode.

        Regarding the issue of wideband digital, it will really get a test as
        more stations deploy PACTOR-III capable hardware. Using proprietary
        PTC controllers, stations linked in PACTOR-II that can negotiate a
        higher connect speed will automatically switch from a 500 Hz PACTOR-
        II transmitted BW to a 2.4 Khz PACTOR-III BW - automatically and
        without warning. The immediate and unannounced QRM possibilities of
        PACTOR-III are a very real concern. I suspect that this mode will
        force the issue of digital mode bandwidth, but for now at least I
        will operate MT63 in the accepted "wide digital" areas.

        Try calling a lot - I use MixW and often run auto-CQ's on 14.1095,
        sometimes I get calls, sometimes not. There are stations out there
        but there is not a tremendous amount of MT-63 activity. I often poll
        stations I am in a digimode QSO with to see if they are MT63 capable,
        sometimes it works and we QSY!

        You can also post sked requests here, that may help. In a week to 10
        days I could run with you, after a major home-renovation project on
        my end is finished.

        Good luck, 73 . . .

        Frank W3UHF
        Baltimore County, Maryland
        FM19pg

      • jim_ag3y
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9, 2003
          --- In MT63@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <w3uhf@h...> wrote:
          > Hi Gary,
          >
          > Welcome to MT63, it is indeed a great mode.
          >
          > Regarding the issue of wideband digital, it will really get a test
          as more stations deploy PACTOR-III capable hardware. > >
          > > Gary, W7NTF

          Hi guys. If you search the archives of this reflector, you will find
          the issue of MT63 bandwidth addressed at least as early as May 30,
          2001. In post # 1499 , Paul Schmidt K9PS makes a very thorough and
          learned reply to a question that was raised even earlier than that
          (although I cannot find that particular post # )

          I am only trying to make the point that this is not a new question,
          but if it were a major problem for the FCC, I am sure we would have
          heard about it by now!

          As far as hearing MT63 on the air, you may actually be doing so and
          not even realizing it! MT63 makes a rather low key "rushing" noise
          in your speaker that could be mistaken for QRM or just an increase of
          the noise in the background! Several examples of the sound can be
          found in .wav files that are posted in several places on the
          internet. There is no fixed tone present to tip you off that you are
          actually tuned into this sound!

          My best advice is to tune to 14.109 USB and listen for anything that
          sounds different than the general "white noise" and "static crashes"
          normally found throughout the HF bands. As you have already read,
          there aren't that many stations on the band, but you should be able
          to see a few up to a handful of guys coming and going in a relativly
          short period of time. I have left my receiver on, and come back a
          short time later and seen a screen full of text, and not hardly even
          been aware that there had been anybody on the frequency!

          Give the mode a chance and you will be rewarded with accurate, clear
          copy of stations that you will probably never get a chance to work in
          any other mode!

          Hope to see you on MT63 soon! 73 from Jim AG3Y
        • Brian Carling
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8, 2003
            Great Gary - I just switched to 104109.5 using USB mode and MixW software.

            I will try to monitor more often.

            We don't have much success in FLorida with 3.5 MegaSickles due to the heavy
            QRN all the time from lightning crashes here.

            I will try to be more active on MT63 and on MFSK16.

            Any other MFSK16 enthusiasts out there? I see no group for it on Yahoo Groups
            unfortunately! Maybe we should start one?!

            Brian, AF4K

            On 7 Apr 2003 at 8:57, Gary Kohtala wrote:

            > Hello... I am very new to MT-63. In the several days I have been on
            > the mode, I have gathered the following frequencies as being used:
            >
            > ---
            > 1.822.0 LSB
            >
            > 3.560.0, 3.590.0, 3.610.0, 3.635.0 LSB
            >
            > 7.037 LSB
            >
            > 10.142.0, 10.145.0 USB
            >
            > 14.095.5, 14.105.5, 14.107.5, 14.109.5 (Most operate at 14.109.3),
            > 14.110.0, 14.113.0, 14.114.0 USB
            >
            > 18.105.0 USB
            >
            > 21.130.0 USB
            >
            > 24.925.0 USB
            >
            > 28.130.0 USB
            >
            > 50.290.0 USB
            > ---
            >
            > I understand that MT-63 is considered a "wide" digital mode. The
            > implications of this is that we cannot legally use it except on a very
            > explicit portion of each band where "wide" modes are authorized (At
            > least not in the USA). Has anyone researched this with the FCC and
            > gotten official comment? I would like to verify this assumption. My
            > own personal feeling is that a digital mode is a digital mode and that
            > they should all be in the lower reaches of the various bands, without
            > any specific sliver of frequency set aside for wide and/or narrow
            > modes... Let this be specified by gentlemen's agreement... Before I
            > jump into this head first and arbitrarily start transmitting, I would
            > like to get confirmation that the frequencies listed above are
            > actually authorized for use by USA stations running MT-63.
            >
            > So far I have not been able to make any contacts on MT-63. I have been
            > listening intently on all bands but so far have heard absolutely
            > nothing.... If you know of any frequencies besides those listed
            > above, I would be very grateful if you would share them with me and
            > the list.
            >
            > Looking forward to meeting you on MT-63 sometime... This seems to be
            > the cutting edge. I have always loved digital modes and am daily
            > active one one or another...
            >
            > 73,
            >
            > Gary, W7NTF

            > ---------------------~--> FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/CPMolB/TM

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Brian Carling
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 9, 2003
              Thank you - I have joined!

              Also - the MT63 Beacon is active again today if anyone wants to send in a
              reception report.

              Please tune to 14.109.50 USB and look for my MT63 signal.

              Reports via e-mail would be appreciated.

              I made a number of MT63 contacts over the weekend and had a great time with it!

              73 to all - de AF4K, Brian