Re: [MT63] Progress but more questions

  • Stig Schyffert
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 24, 2001
      John, Mix2 can NOT handle the embedded text. Still I use the SW, prefere that
      to Nino´s due to the flexibility and logging facilities.

      Stig SM0BKZ

      John Hirth wrote:

      > Stan,
      >
      > Confidence and S/N values "in the teens" indicate to me that either
      > you've got a weak/noisy signal or you're not tuned it properly yet. You
      > say that the signal is "S9 with nice looking waterfalls", and if that's
      > so and you're tuned in properly I would expect much higher Confidence
      > and S/N values.
      >
      > One thing to keep in mind is that once you start to get decoded text, if
      > you wish to continue to tune in the signal (aiming for an "offset" of 0
      > Hz), do so VERY slowly. I can't emphasize this enough. I find that
      > anything more than about 0.6-1.0 Hz (yes Hertz) per second is too fast.
      > Tuning just a little too fast will cause you to lose "lock" on the
      > received signal, requiring some time for resynchronizing (and losing
      > some characters). I don't think this is specifically what you've
      > described, but it's a good thing to remember, nevertheless.
      >
      > BTW, what version of the MT63 software are you using?
      >
      > As an aside, does anyone know if Mix2 can handle MT63 with the embedded
      > "idle channel text" as used in Nino's later versions?
      >
      > 73, John W2KI

    • John Hirth
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 25, 2001
        Stig,

        This is interesting. As I remember, when Nino first introduced the "idle
        channel text" in the software, earlier versions that did not support
        that feature showed "garbage" characters in the main text at times when
        the other station was typing somewhat slowly (that is when the idle
        channel text is sent).

        Does Mix2 display the same "garbage characters" when talking to IZ8BLY
        software with idle channel active? That is why I wondered if Stan AK0B
        might be using software that does not support idle channel text.

        73, John W2KI
        =================

        Stig Schyffert wrote:

        > John, Mix2 can NOT handle the embedded text. Still I use the SW, prefere that
        > to Nino´s due to the flexibility and logging facilities.
        >
        > Stig SM0BKZ

      • Stig Schyffert
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 25, 2001
          "Does Mix2 display the same "garbage characters" when talking to IZ8BLY
          software with idle channel active? That is why I wondered if Stan AK0B
          might be using software that does not support idle channel text."

          No, I have not seen anything like that, I have only used Mix for a year, but I do
          not think so.

          Stig / SM0BKZ

          John Hirth wrote:

          > Stig,
          >
          > This is interesting. As I remember, when Nino first introduced the "idle
          > channel text" in the software, earlier versions that did not support
          > that feature showed "garbage" characters in the main text at times when
          > the other station was typing somewhat slowly (that is when the idle
          > channel text is sent).
          >
          > Does Mix2 display the same "garbage characters" when talking to IZ8BLY
          > software with idle channel active? That is why I wondered if Stan AK0B
          > might be using software that does not support idle channel text.
          >
          > 73, John W2KI
          > =================
          >
          > Stig Schyffert wrote:
          > >
          > > John, Mix2 can NOT handle the embedded text. Still I use the SW, prefere that
          > > to Nino´s due to the flexibility and logging facilities.
          > >
          > > Stig SM0BKZ

        • Tomi Manninen
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 25, 2001
            On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, John Hirth wrote:

            > Does Mix2 display the same "garbage characters" when talking to IZ8BLY
            > software with idle channel active? That is why I wondered if Stan AK0B
            > might be using software that does not support idle channel text.

            That wouldn't explain the low confidence and S/N readings I think.

            My bet is Stan has a sample rate problem. MT63 is very sensitive to the
            sample rate and it's not uncommon for a sound card to have it's rates way
            off.

            There are several ways to calibrate your sound card sample rate. I have
            used MMSSTV for this (IIRC, I use windows so seldom...).

            --
            Tomi Manninen Internet: oh2bns@...
            OH2BNS AX.25: oh2bns@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 25, 2001
              --- In MT63@y..., John Hirth <w2ki@a...> wrote:
              > Stan,
              > > BTW, what version of the MT63 software are you using?

              John I am running 1 May 2001 version 1.0