QRM at 14109.5

  • s.gaggini@libero.it
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 21, 2001
      Hi guys.
      I'm writing about the situation at 14109.5.
      There, from my QTH, I heard a strong "digital" packet stream. It is
      quite continuous and for me it's practically impossible to work there.
      Maybe someone could suggest me to move up but I think all you know how
      much is important this "fixed" frequency. MT63 is not so widely used as
      I would... so I think it is important to have a point where to meet
      other om calling/listening for in MT63 mode.
      I read some times ago another European om (I apologize I miss his call
      and name) talking in this group about this matter, he were asking to
      move the net frequency. Other OM reply to him it isn't good (I think
      so, too). But the question is still unresolved...
      In there messages they talking about the nature of this "noise": it is
      a packet link between 9H and G station. I am not active in this mode so
      I can't confirm it. I ask if someone of you have more information about
      it, maybe we can ask for moving the link to the packet station...
      I hope you can help me.

      Thanks.

      73 de Silvio, IZ5DIY

      P.S. Is there other OM in my condition? Or is it my antenna that
      multiply the QRM? HI & 73
    • w8isg@juno.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 21, 2001
        It has been suggested that we use 14109.3, in order to get away from
        the packet guys. This, apparently, is particularly important in Europe.
        I have been calling CQ on that frequency, but have not been able to wake
        anybody up.

        Bo, W8ISG
      • Gerber Chris
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 21, 2001
          "s.gaggini@..." schrieb:

          > Hi guys.
          > I'm writing about the situation at 14109.5.
          > There, from my QTH, I heard a strong "digital" packet stream. It is
          > quite continuous and for me it's practically impossible to work there.
          > Maybe someone could suggest me to move up but I think all you know how
          > much is important this "fixed" frequency. MT63 is not so widely used as
          > I would... so I think it is important to have a point where to meet
          > other om calling/listening for in MT63 mode.
          > I read some times ago another European om (I apologize I miss his call
          > and name) talking in this group about this matter, he were asking to
          > move the net frequency. Other OM reply to him it isn't good (I think
          > so, too). But the question is still unresolved...
          > In there messages they talking about the nature of this "noise": it is
          > a packet link between 9H and G station. I am not active in this mode so
          > I can't confirm it. I ask if someone of you have more information about
          > it, maybe we can ask for moving the link to the packet station...
          > I hope you can help me.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > 73 de Silvio, IZ5DIY
          >
          > P.S. Is there other OM in my condition? Or is it my antenna that
          > multiply the QRM? HI & 73

          Hello Silvio

          well we are using this frequency for more then 3 years now, and it has proven
          to be the best calling frequency
          around that part of the band. If you move up or down 500 Hz you are getting
          even more in conflict with packet and
          also pactor stations, because then they are right in the middle of the MT63
          spectrum.
          I am also using a vertical antenna but am using passband filters to adjust
          the shape, and so i have no problem to
          work dx to VK ZL or some other parts of the world. Because MT63 is very
          robust on qrm. So try it out.

          Regards Chris HB9BDM
        • Gerber Chris
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 21, 2001
            w8isg@... schrieb:

            > It has been suggested that we use 14109.3, in order to get away from
            > the packet guys. This, apparently, is particularly important in Europe.
            > I have been calling CQ on that frequency, but have not been able to wake
            > anybody up.
            >
            > Bo, W8ISG

            Hello Bo
            well we use actually 14105.45 when we go to 14109.30 we are getting here in
            europe
            strong pactor qrm but miss the packet - so on the above mentiond frequncy we
            harldy
            have problems. But one should call once in a while and not just listen. I
            copy here very
            weak signals without any problems, but sometimes hardly getting a answer when
            calling back.
            MT63 needs to get used too in order to get good qso's more then any other
            digital programms.

            Cheers see You on the channel Chris HB9BDM
          • Frank Hunt
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 22, 2001
              Hi all,
              Here is a run-down on the most consistant Packet MBO and
              forwarding station signals heard on 14100-14112 kHz down here in
              the South Pacific for the past 6 months or more:

              N.B. These are real frequencies, so add 500-1500 kHz for MT63
              frequency use! In addition it seems to me that the Packet emissions
              which were all 300 baud at 200 Hz shift, so had an effective
              bandwidth of of around 375-400 Hz. (TX station > RX station).

              14100.8 - 101.2 EA8DW > EA2HB & RW6AT, CT1FMS > EA8DW
              14101.9 - 102.3 unknown
              14103.2 - 103.6 LZ2QA > OZ3BBS
              14105.2 - 105.6 ADHBBS >CU6GRP, CU6GRP > CT1FMS
              14106.2 - 106.6 IK0MIL > TA2BBS
              14106.6 - 107.0 VK5HB > VK8DA, UA0SED > RU9AZ
              14107.1 - 107.5 CU1CB > IK0MIL, IK0MIL > TA4BBS
              14107.5 - 107.9 VK6BBS > VK5LZ, JH8ZKR > UA0JGB & UA0SED
              14108.2 - 108.6 RW3SB > RA9XF
              14108.8 - 109.2 IC5BCU > RZ6HW
              14109.0 - 109.4 RA9XF > RZ6HW, IK5BCU > RZ6HW
              14110.8 - 111.2 IK2HDG > 9H1BBS & GB7HFG
              14111.1 - 111.5 IK2HDG > RW6AT, KJ6EOD > VE4GQ,
              14112.4 - 112.8 (Pactor and SSB at times)
              W9QYQ > KE7YX, WA8WNI > VE4GQ & KB0UAC

              So, best Packet-free parts of the spectrum appear to be:
              14101.3 - 101.9 = 600 Hz
              14102.3 - 103.2 = 900 Hz
              14103.6 - 105.2 = 600 Hz
              14105.6 - 106.2 = 600 Hz
              14109.5 - 110.8 = 1300 Hz
              14111.5 - 112.4 = 900 Hz

              Of course the frequency occupancy that I have observed, may seem
              different in say JA, Europe or US East coast, but I think it will be very
              similar.

              Standard MT63 is 1kHz wide, but it is a very robust, qrm resistant
              mode, so any of the above 'best Packet-free parts of the spectrum'
              frequency blocks should be still be usuable, even though there may
              be Packet signals above and below and overlaping the MT63
              emissions.

              To conclude, let us please keep 14109.8 to 110.0 (dial frequency
              14109.3 to 14109.5) as the common calling freq, and use other
              frequencies as required, to avoid qrm to/and from other MT63
              stations or from Packet signals.

              BUT HEY! does 14 MHz really matter - conditions on 21 and 28 MHz
              have been much better than 14 MHz recently. Been monitoring
              21130 and 28130 this evening, lots of Asian and EU signals, but no
              MT63 or Packet even !!! Anyone want a sked? Vic? Christian?
              Rysard? Danny?

              73, Frank ZL2BR
            • Victor Kershaw
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 23, 2001
                Hi Frank and all MT'ers

                It would be nice to read you again on 28 Frank as we have in the past. I am
                free for any suggestion on skeds both 28 and 14 mHz.

                I concentrate on 14Mhz 0800-1000UTC where I have over the past week worked
                both VK and ZL stations. Later in the day my attention turns to 14109.5 at
                2200UTC where I find the Japanese stations coming through both in MFSK and
                MT63. Nice half hour chat with Tom JK1SCL at 2142UTC onwards. Contact
                earlier was very scrappy.

                During our daytime here both Peter G3PEJ and myself both keep watch on 28130
                and 28080 for any activity. I see from my log here those 28 mhz contacts
                with you was 1046 and 1050UTC.

                We observe the beacons up on 28200 and though they are there in good
                strength it seems to have no indication on activity one will find lower down
                the band.

                73 de Vic.
                G 3 G K I