RE: [MT63] Waiting you on 80m

  • K8YS
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 25, 2001
      FANTASTIC Gilles!! Thanks!

      I get paranoid about virus'. I send all files that are in HTML or have
      attachments to a file that I call "Helen Waite"... they go to hell and
      wait:)

      With so many lists, and so many play babies that just send virus', letter
      bombs, bots, just to mess with unsuspecting users, I am always on the look
      out.

      It is bad enough that I need to rebuild systems after attack, I do not want
      to have to rebuild MY system after an attack:)

      73!

      Bob
    • Gilles Paré
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 25, 2001
        Belle journée
        Ok Bo  I am pleased to see that ur interest in MT63  will force u to put the horse  to help you connect ur 80m antenna.  I had a qso at 3635 with VE1CDD, John, and the band is gud, so is the MT63.

        So thanks for ur answer  and see you soon.  I tried toget ur email address
        thru QRZ.com   not to overuse this eGroup, but did not find it.
        &3,
        Gilles VE2FT
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 25, 2001
          No trouble. People are PARANOID about things today. HTML is
          not an executable and should not be a problem. Clients should be
          able to distinguish between an executable script or macro and just
          plain HTML formatting which cannot cause any such thing as a
          virus.

          On 25 Jun 2001, at 20:45, Gilles Paré wrote:

          > Bob,
          > I hope this one is ok for you in plain. If it is not , I am soory .
          > Iwould not like to be of any trouble to anybody.
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Gilles VE2FT

          Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
          44:04.925 N 92:30.758 W 1055'
          "Hierro candente, batir de repente"
        • Paul Schmidt
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26, 2001
            Depending on your web browser and if you've got all the security
            patches, that may or may not be completely true. HTML is a
            formatting language, but web browsers (in particular, MS IE)
            will parse the tags and pass things off to other programs or
            DLL's. There have been instances of nasty things being put
            into EMBED tags and passed off to trigger vulnerabilities in
            the system (like an executable command cell in an .XLS file,
            or sending you off to a web page to download an infected file).

            If one's that paranoid, they *should* have all the DLL's updated
            and all the security patches installed... of course, that doesn't
            help for the new exploit someone will discover tomorrow morning.

            The world is full of brilliant idiots these days; I'd certainly
            not fault someone for keeping an eye out for them.

            73,

            Paul / K9PS

            --
            Paul L. Schmidt - K9PS - NNN0BOK - http://www.qsl.net/k9ps