Re: [MT63] MT63 legal in US?

  • Gary McDuffie, Sr.
    Message 1 of 17 , May 31 8:10 PM
      On Thu, 31 May 2001 21:57:17 -0500, Bill Archer wrote:

      > If the below statements are true then why is SSTV on 14.230 , Hmmmm???????

      Why shouldn't it be?

      gm

      ag0n at arrl dot net
      http://mcduffie.ws
      --
    • Paul Schmidt
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2001
        Because SSTV is an "image" transmission (as is FAX), and is
        restricted to the voice subband on 20 meters.

        There's a complete copy of Part 97 on the ARRL's web server
        at http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/news/part97/

        In paragraph 97.305(c), you'll see the table says that on 20m,
        from 14.00 to 14.15 MHz, RTTY and data are permitted; from
        14.15 to 14.35 MHz, phone and image are permitted. 97.305(a)
        says CW is OK anywhere.

        97.3 (c) (3) defines what "image" is, and SSTV falls into
        that category.

        The emission designators (F3E, J2D, etc.) can be found in section
        2.201 of the FCC regs. That part of the regulations is on-line
        at (the following should all be on one line)

        http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=47&PART=2&SECTION=201&YEAR=1999&TYPE=TEXT

        Hope that helps.

        73,

        Paul / K9PS
        http://www.qsl.net/k9ps

        Bill Archer wrote:

        > If the below statements are true then why is SSTV on 14.230 , Hmmmm???????
        >
        > KC5GNB
      • Jim/KJ7S
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 2, 2001
          Thanks Paul for you input, some substantive information which not only
          clarifies, but aids in the use of areas "outside" of the exact mainstream
          frequencies used for most modes. IE SSTV on 14.230-233...when you can move
          from 14.150-14.350 (the entire voice segment, which varies with your class
          of license) where there is a CLEAR frequency. So many times I hear remarks
          like "why are you up hear when slow scan is down on 230" . When I check
          three or four times if frequency is in use and get zero response, then send
          a short cq, inevetably, someone jumps in to chastise..just because it is off
          of it's supposed "agreed upon" frequency. MT63 has it's band area just as
          cw, or psk31 or many of the other digital modes, as long as they are in the
          band area allowed by their "definition", there should be no problems.
          > Because SSTV is an "image" transmission (as is FAX), and is
          > restricted to the voice subband on 20 meters.
          >
          > There's a complete copy of Part 97 on the ARRL's web server
          > at http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/news/part97/
          >
          > In paragraph 97.305(c), you'll see the table says that on 20m,
          > from 14.00 to 14.15 MHz, RTTY and data are permitted; from
          > 14.15 to 14.35 MHz, phone and image are permitted. 97.305(a)
          > says CW is OK anywhere.
          >
          > 97.3 (c) (3) defines what "image" is, and SSTV falls into
          > that category.
          >
          > The emission designators (F3E, J2D, etc.) can be found in section
          > 2.201 of the FCC regs. That part of the regulations is on-line
          > at (the following should all be on one line)

          http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=47&PART=2&SECTION=
          201&YEAR=1999&TYPE=TEXT

          > Hope that helps.
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Paul / K9PS
          > http://www.qsl.net/k9ps
          >
          > Bill Archer wrote:
          > >
          > > If the below statements are true then why is SSTV on 14.230 ,
          Hmmmm???????

          > > KC5GNB

        • Vince
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 2, 2001
            The notion that 14230 and 14233 are the only frequencies "allowed" for
            SSTV is wrong or at least misleading. Those two frequencies are calling
            frequencies, although they are infrequently used as such. I'm a newcomer
            to SSTV, but my understanding is that after establishing a SSTV stn for
            QSO, that the stns move off at least 3 kHz from the calling frequency.
            That is what I attempt to do when operating on ten meters. However, on
            20 meters, there apparently is a different protocol in use.
            There should be no problem/complaint if SSTVers would only use voice
            along with their SSTV transmissions...
            Perhaps a solution would be that SSTV stns use LSB voice xmssions only.
            73s de ~ Vince ~