MT63 Activity / Frequencies

  • darutter@softcom.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2001
      There seems to have been a severe drop off of MT63 activity along
      with MFSK over the past couple of months. I suspect that it is due
      in part to the complaints by the baudot group of operating around
      the "080" frequencies.

      Has there been any agreement on a selection of standard calling
      frequencies for MT63 and MFSK?

      I, for one, would like to see much more activity with these modes.

      Thanks and 73

      Dave
      W6CQD
    • Frank Hunt
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2001
        As David says there has certainly been a drop-off in activity on
        these modes over the past month or so. There could be various
        reasons for this, including the "request" from the RTTY ops to avoid
        the 080 freq. As I type this message I can hear a weak RTTY
        signal and a weak MFSK signal qrm'ing each other on 14080, most
        of the adjacent frequencies are clear!

        But I suspect the major reason for decrease in MFSK activity is
        that it is a new mode, and lots of people wanted to try it out and
        they have, (there certainly was a very significant increase in MFSK
        activity after the January QST article), but now the novelty has worn
        off.

        I don't think that the MT63 activity level has changed much over the
        past couple of months, activity dropped in a big way when the
        MFSK software was released. Also propagation has been a bit up
        and down recently as well. When possible I monitor 28130 for
        MT63 during daylight hours but for my last contacts with three US
        stations on 1st April signals were very poor. But on 27th March I
        did work two new LU stations on 28130. Also still work a few
        European regulars and the odd new station on 14109.5 approx.

        I think the best way to go is: if you don't hear any activity then
        create some and call CQ, and if no one replies, then call CQ again
        etc

        73 Frank ZL2BR