WIRING MY RADIO

  • n6kju@excite.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
      HELLO ALL,
      1. I'M TRYING TO CONFIGURE AND MAKE A WIRE FOR MY YAEUS FT-575GX TO
      THE COMPUTER FOR MT63. I'M USING THE IZ8BLY MT63 TERMINAL. I MADE THE
      PTT CIRCUIT IN HIS INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS, BUT, IT STILL DOESN'T
      SEEM TO DO ANYTHING WHEN I TRY TO TUNE.
      2. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL WHAT FREQUENCIES I CAN LISTEN TO THAT MODE
      ON?
      3. I DO HAVE AN ALL MODE KAM, AND IF I CAN SET THE PARAMETER TO
      TERMINAL, COULDN'T I USE THE MT63 TERMINAL THROUGH THERE?
      4. IF ANYONE HAS ANY TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS, IT WOULD SURELY BE
      APPRECIATED.
      THANKS,
      JERRY
      N6KJU
    • Coombe Down
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2000
        Jerry,

        It is not clear from your request whether you in fact have the audio from
        the sound card connected to the radio or not! That's far more important that
        the PTT circuit, since the system will work with VOX, or even manual
        control, but not without audio.

        I suggest you look at:

        http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/FUZZY/IZ8setup.html

        where there is a good diagram of how to connnect up your computer for sound
        card digital modes developed by IZ8BLY. This is the information officlally
        sanctioned by IZ8BLY for Hellschreiber operation, and the same procedure
        applies to ALL the other IZ8BLY sound card modes, MFSK16, PSK63F and MT63.

        I have the impression that you do not appreciate the role of the PC sound
        card and DSP software in modes such as MT63. It is not just a matter of
        externally decoding a simple signal and sending it via a serial port (COM
        port) to the PC for display. For MT63 and the other modes I mentioned, the
        baseband (audio) signal is very complex, and is sent to the PC sound card
        for accurate digitization using sampling techniques, then sent on to the PC
        processor and maths coprocessor for high speed digital signal processing.
        With a modern PC, this technique is very powerful and flexible; certainly
        more so than the KAM. While there are a few very expensive or difficult to
        obtain external units that will process modes such as PSK31 and even MT63 in
        this way, there is no such opportunity with the KAM.

        The answer is to stick with the KISS principle - just connect your speaker
        output to the LINE IN of the sound card, and the LINE OUT of the sound card
        to the microphone or auxiliary input to your radio, and then follow the
        instructions given on the page referred to above. I recommend you try
        Hellschreiber first - it is good fun and much simpler to get going and to
        tune in.

        Also don't forget good PSK31 software such as Digipan, which has the same
        signal and connection requirements, or especially IZ8BLY STREAM, which
        offers PSK31, PSK63F, MFSK8 and most importantly MFSK16, which is enjoying
        wide acceptance for long path DX especially.

        MT63 is little used now, because of its high bandwidth requirements and the
        lack of tolerance of polar flutter (ionospheric Doppler) effects that bug
        DX. You
        will probably find operation in the US on 10 metres around 28.130, and maybe
        around 21.130 as well.

      • Gary McDuffie, Sr.
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2000
          On Sun, 5 Nov 2000 10:50:55 +1300, Coombe Down wrote:

          > Jerry,
          >
          > It is not clear from your request

          I'd be curious to see the original post on this. ;o) I don't think it
          appeared here.

          Gary

          ag0n at arrl dot net
          --
          Please notify your ISP if you don't receive this.