Linux MFSK16

  • Coombe Down
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2000
      Walt,

      Not yet. My best hope is a guy from Finland who is currently working on a
      LINUX PSK31. We is interested in doing the same with MFSK16, but obviously
      not both at once!

      If you know anybody else who could and is willing to do the work, let me
      know.

    • Walt DuBose
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2000
        Ok...good. Thanks Murray.

        I'm on the psk31 list and the MT63 list. Is there a list for MFSK16?

        There are some of us down here along the Texas Gulf Coast and inland
        that need the speed and robustness of MT63 or better and the ability to
        run on Linux. Lots of emergency management offices have moved 100% away
        from the use of any Microsoft because that have been "bitten" by a nuber
        of MS based virus. Most are running SCO and some Sun but they will let
        you put a Linux box on their network and the idea is using MT63 to
        gather data from HF and then put it on their LAN...actually I would like
        to make HTML mail boxes using SSL and UserIds and Passwords that is
        permitted in Apache web servers.

        Thanks & 73,

        Walt/K5YFW

        Coombe Down wrote:

        > Walt,
        >
        > Not yet. My best hope is a guy from Finland who is currently working on a
        > LINUX PSK31. We is interested in doing the same with MFSK16, but obviously
        > not both at once!
        >
        > If you know anybody else who could and is willing to do the work, let me
        > know.
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Murray ZL1BPU
        >

        > Disappointed with MT63?
        >
        > << Try MFSK16 for real DX performance! >>
        >
        > << Visit http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/MFSK >>

        | If they recalled Firestone tires as a defective product, why |
        | don't they recall Microsoft software as a defective product? |
      • Coombe Down
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2000
          Walt,

          Yes, there is a list for MFSK16. Not surprisingly, it is called
          MFSK@egroups.com. You can subscribe by sending an email to
          MFSK-subscribe@egroups.com.

          I understand the problems with WIndows as an operating system, especially
          for emergency comms. Thus the interest in Linux. MFSK16 has very tight
          frequency stability and accuracy requirements, and is not designed for
          unattended or bulletin board operation. However, with an attended station,
          you will find it infinitely more robust than anything else you have tried,
          especially over the long path on high bands, and shorter paths on the lower
          bands. It also performs well when using the "wrong" band, such as trying to
          work 500 km on 20m when the skip isn't working. I routinely work 3000 km on
          80 metres, using 15 Watts. 1 Watt suffices for distances up to 500 km. Great
          for portable stations!

          We have been discussing two major extensions to MFSK16:
          (1) A version with a link layer protocol, allowing automated links and BBS
          operation.
          (2) A DLL version, allowing other programmers to write a "front end" with
          their own features, without writing the difficult DSP code. The DLL will be
          useful for the link layer version as well, and will be more easily ported to
          Linux.

          At present both are just dreams. Nino is extremely busy at present, and the
          next step is to improve the AFC significantly, followed by which he will
          tackle the DLL. Glen KD5HIO has a completey independent version of MFSK16
          operating, which he hopes to use for on-air testing within the next few
          weeks.