Queries

  • care4k9ss
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 29, 2003
      Hi!

      I'm a raw beginner here, in a remote area in Alaska. Can't
      get to any training and the one book I have for Access 2002 is
      useless in helping me do calculations. We don't have bookstores up
      here that we can browse through the books to see which one would be
      the right one.

      I'm trying to modify an existing database and add a few
      extras. What I have is a simple form that has Date and Visitation
      numbers. The number I input is from 'people counters' counting
      people who come in and out of our visitor center. Because people
      come and go, we divide the number in half to get our visitation
      number. I'm trying to find out how to make a calculation where
      Access will divide the number I input in half. Everytime I try to
      input a calculation, I get several error messages. The book just
      keeps confusing me more and some resources on the internet are not
      simplistic enough for me as they get into complex calculations, I
      just need a simple division. Please be patient with me and explain
      this in very simplistic terms. I'm not a programmer, I'm not a
      business person and feel like an idiot for all the hours I have put
      into trying to understand ACCESS.

      Thank you for your time!

      Christy
    • Beth Moffitt
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 29, 2003
        Even in Alaska you have the Help File for Access. I don't think they strip
        it out for copies of Access sold only to Alaska residents :) Under Help,
        lookup the Eval function. It would be something along the lines of

        MyCalc = Eval(N/2)

        N representing the number you enter.

        HTH,

        Beth M
        PS We were all new once :)

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 29, 2003
          Alaska?! Am I typing hard enough for you to read this?

          First, I suggest you name Date something like VisitDate because Date is a
          reserved word and could cause you trouble.

          Here's a fairly simple approach. Open your form in design view and make sure
          the control wizard is turned off. That's the wand icon right by the fat
          arrow in the Toolbox toolbar (the one with all the controls like text boxes,
          labels, etc).

          add a text box next to your count text box. Let's call the new text box
          txtRawCount. This is where you will enter the number you want halved. I'm
          going to assume the text box that holds you halved count is called
          Visitation.

          If the Properties box isn't open, click the icon in the menu to open it.
          Then highlight txtRawCount. It should have a bunch of little squares around
          it.

          Click on the Events tab of the properties box. Find the On Lost Focus event.
          Type in that line an open square bracket [

          The line should autofill with [EventProcedure]. You'll see a builder button
          to the right of the line. It looks like 3 dots (...). Click it. That will
          open the code window to your LostFocus event for txtRawCount. You'll see
          this code:

          Private Sub txtRawCount_LostFocus()

          End Sub

          Put code between the 2 lines so it looks like this:

          Private Sub txtRawCount_LostFocus()
          Dim lngRawCount As Long

          'Take care of odd numbers...Someone came in but
          'didn't leave through expected exit.
          If (Me.txtRawCount Mod 2) = 1 Then
          lngRawCount = Me.txtRawCount + 1
          Else
          lngRawCount = Me.txtRawCount
          End If

          Me.Vistitation = lngRawCount / 2

          End Sub

          Now when you enter the raw count and hit Enter or Tab, the Visitation number
          will be calculated for you to be half of the raw number. I tossed in a check
          for odd numbers assuming that someone may have left through an exit that
          doesn't count traffic.

          Hey, guess what? you're now a programmer!
          Regards,
          Bill Mosca
          Founder

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • care4k9ss
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 29, 2003
            Beth and Bill,

            Yeah, it is amazing that we do have computers up here. When my
            seasonal job is over, I'm returning back home in California.

            Thank you for your time and patience. I have been using
            the 'Help' that comes with Access 2002, looking under calculations
            etc. and just couldn't figure it out.

            Bill writes...
            > First, I suggest you name Date something like VisitDate because
            Date is a
            > reserved word and could cause you trouble.

            Thank you! Done!

            > Here's a fairly simple approach...snip...

            Great step-by-step procedure. Was able to follow really easy!

            Got the Event Procedure in....except now in my fields it shows
            #Name ? and all the data that was entered is gone. No biggie, I can
            re-enter it since I haven't put all the data in if this would
            happen.

            > Hey, guess what? you're now a programmer!

            Thanks for the encouragement, but its not running smooth
            yet ;-)

            Christy
          • Bill Mosca
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 29, 2003
              I guess I should have told you my method would work for Single form view
              only. I forget that probably because that's how I usually design forms.

              You lose all the data in the other rows if you have a continuous or
              datasheet form. You also lose most of your control using these styles of
              forms.

              As far as the #Name error, check to see that the code reflects the names of
              the fields and controls.

              If you'd care to post your code that is in the LostFocus event, we might be
              able to spot something.

              And what makes you think that programmers write bug-free code? we just write
              code and hope for the best. :O)
              Regards,
              Bill Mosca
              Founder

              Yeah, it is amazing that we do have computers up here. When my
              seasonal job is over, I'm returning back home in California.

              Thank you for your time and patience. I have been using
              the 'Help' that comes with Access 2002, looking under calculations
              etc. and just couldn't figure it out.

              Bill writes...
              > First, I suggest you name Date something like VisitDate because
              Date is a

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 29, 2003
                Hi Bill,

                --- In MS_Access_Professionals@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Mosca"
                <wrmosca@c...> wrote:
                > I guess I should have told you my method would work for Single
                form view
                > only. I forget that probably because that's how I usually design
                forms.

                Hmmmm, yeah, I'm going by what the person who was here last
                year programmed. She set it up as a continuous form for other places
                that we are collecting visitation. We now put new counters in this
                one museum and I'm trying to develop a new form for it.

                > As far as the #Name error, check to see that the code reflects the
                names of
                > the fields and controls.

                > If you'd care to post your code that is in the LostFocus event, we
                might be
                > able to spot something.

                I pretty much cut and pasted what you put with slight
                modification to match spelling.

                Private Sub TxtRawCount_LostFocus()
                Dim lngRawCount As Long

                'Take care of odd numbers...Someone came in but
                'didn't leave through expected exit.
                If (Me.TxtRawCount Mod 2) = 1 Then
                lngRawCount = Me.TxtRawCount + 1
                Else
                lngRawCount = Me.TxtRawCount
                End If

                Me.Visitation = lngRawCount / 2

                End Sub

                > And what makes you think that programmers write bug-free code? we
                just write
                > code and hope for the best. :O)

                Yeah, I'm sure hoping! I honestly have been tackling this for a
                few months now between my major duties. I took one of the hardest
                Collateral Duties here! Statistics! HA!

                Christy
              • K. Suresh
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 30, 2005
                  hi,

                  Can you please clear my following doubts:
                  1. How to create and add your own icon to the MDE file ?
                  2. How to disable all the access menus. I just want my application to run and dont want to display any menu. When I tried I get few options like File etc etc.
                  3. How to disable the shift action during startup.

                  Thanks in advance
                  Regards
                  Suresh

                  K. Suresh
                  The Times of India, Hyderabad
                  email: k.suresh@...
                  Dir: 23352273, 23352527

                  Life can be a rocky road. The Challenge is not to let it grind
                  you into dust, but to polish you into a brilliant gem - J.M.Fogg

                  ---NOTICE---
                  The contents and / or attachments of this email are subjected to the DISCLAIMER
                  AND PRIVILEGE NOTICE displayed at http://timesmail.timesgroup.com/disclaimer.html

                • johnlond1
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 5, 2007
                    Building a database of Contacts. In this DB I have a table for the
                    contact and a related table for employees (if there are any). I have
                    also created a temp table to collect either the contact's names or
                    employee's names or both. This temp table is to be used in search
                    parameters to find a specifique person and to which record He or She
                    belongs. This table is loaded using an action query (append) and
                    emptied with a delete query.

                    Now my problem. The action query, called "qryListEmployees" loads the
                    contact number and employee names without any problem but I want to
                    add a "label" through this query which will identify the name as an
                    employee. The temp table has a field called ContactEmployee to
                    receive this label (or text) but I am at a lose to include the
                    instruction in the QBE Grid.

                    Can anyone help

                    John
                  • John Viescas
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 5, 2007
                      John-

                      In a blank field in your Append query, enter:

                      ContactEmployee: "Employee"

                      .. and set the Append To to ContactEmployee.

                      John Viescas, author
                      Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
                      Building Microsoft Access Applications
                      Microsoft Office Access 2003 Inside Out
                      SQL Queries for Mere Mortals
                      http://www.viescas.com/
                      (Paris, France)
                      For the inside scoop on Access 2007, see:
                      http://blogs.msdn.com/access/

[...]

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • johnlond1
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 5, 2007
                        It works! thank you. I don't understand why. ContactEmployee is a
                        field in the temporary table, why should it be entered into the line
                        reserved for the source table?

                        John

                        --- In MS_Access_Professionals@yahoogroups.com, "John Viescas"
                        <JohnV@...> wrote:

                        > John-
                        >
                        > In a blank field in your Append query, enter:
                        >
                        > ContactEmployee: "Employee"
                        >
                        > .. and set the Append To to ContactEmployee.
                        >
                        > John Viescas, author
                        > Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
                        > Building Microsoft Access Applications
                        > Microsoft Office Access 2003 Inside Out
                        > SQL Queries for Mere Mortals
                        > http://www.viescas.com/
                        > (Paris, France)
                        > For the inside scoop on Access 2007, see:
                        > http://blogs.msdn.com/access/

                      • John Viescas
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 5, 2007
                          John-

                          You're simply providing a literal constant to be inserted into that column.
                          If you switch to SQL View, it should look something like:

                          INSERT INTO TEMPTable (ContactNo, ContactName, ContactEmployee)
                          SELECT ContactNo, EmpName, "Employee" As ContactEmployee
                          FROM Employees
                          WHERE ...

                          Or open your Append query in Datasheet view by opening it in Design view and
                          then choosing Datasheet on the toolbar. You'll see the constant value
                          "Employee" produced in every row.

                          <JohnV@...> wrote:

                          > John-
                          >
                          > In a blank field in your Append query, enter:
                          >
                          > ContactEmployee: "Employee"
                          >
                          > .. and set the Append To to ContactEmployee.
                          >
                          > John Viescas, author
                          > Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
                          > Building Microsoft Access Applications
                          > Microsoft Office Access 2003 Inside Out
                          > SQL Queries for Mere Mortals
                          > http://www.viescas.com/
                          > (Paris, France)
                          > For the inside scoop on Access 2007, see:
                          > http://blogs.msdn.com/access/

                          Yahoo! Groups Links