DirectX SDK chm

  • therisnosuchalias
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2011
      @all

      I think it's my 3th attempt to integrate windows_graphics.chm from June2010 DirectX SDK with VS2010 help. I was always able to run mshcmigrate without errors and warnings. Didn't matter - merging with the VS help system ended with an unintelligible exception.
      At least, this exception eventually helped: The specified vendor name in mshcmigrate has to be something else than 'Microsoft'. Quite self-evident for a MS library...

      http://mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com/news/packagethis -> Debugging

      Now, the merge works. The results are still not intriguing:

      --- snip ---

      Temporary File
      This file was inserted by mshcMigrate.exe.

      More Information
      TOC and Index items are now defined using Meta tags stored within each topic. So empty TOC links, duplicate TOC links, toc Links with bookmarks, and TOC links to remote locations are no longer possible.

      The temporary solution is to generate a temporary file so that help will merge correctly. At some stage you will need to remove these temporary files from your help source.

      ---snap---

      Ahem,... yes...
      I'm only a poor programmer. What does this mean for me???
      Does it mean, the merge or whatever part of the process is not able to provide the link structure of the original document? Does it expect, to provide this by editing some alien files in manually providing this structure information. I cannot believe this. Is someone here able to give a complete solution?

      As a general remark, because someone mentioned MS presence here in this group:

      I'm using VS since version 1.5. I have to say, the whole concept of help was never in a worse shape than now.

      I mean, I have to crawl through a whole ecosphere of tools to achieve basic things - in this case the integration of a help topic related to a fundamental aspect of Windows programming. Am I too assuming to expect not to worry about this at all? A SDK able to provide these things during installation?

      Michael
    • helpwarenet
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2011
        Hi Michael
        Welcome to the bleeding edge.

        Yes sorry I only just found out about the problem of using 'Microsoft' as a vendor name the other day while updating the PackageThis code. I suppose it's a quality check for MS to remind themselves that they need to ship everything signed.

        > More Information
        > TOC and Index items are now defined using Meta tags stored within each topic. So empty TOC links, duplicate TOC links, toc Links with bookmarks, and TOC links to remote locations are no longer possible.
        >
        > The temporary solution is to generate a temporary file so that help will merge correctly. At some stage you will need to remove these temporary files from your help source.

        Because TOC nodes are defined inside the topic file, an empty TOC node (no link) is no longer possible. So mshcMigrate needs to create an placeholder topic so you can migrate and view successfully. It's up to you clean up your TOC later.

        I'm sure we all share your frustration. Looking forward to v2.x.
        Rob

        --- In MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com, "therisnosuchalias" <michael.bieber@...> wrote:

        > @all
        >
        > I think it's my 3th attempt to integrate windows_graphics.chm from June2010 DirectX SDK with VS2010 help. I was always able to run mshcmigrate without errors and warnings. Didn't matter - merging with the VS help system ended with an unintelligible exception.
        > At least, this exception eventually helped: The specified vendor name in mshcmigrate has to be something else than 'Microsoft'. Quite self-evident for a MS library...
        >
        > http://mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com/news/packagethis -> Debugging
        >
        > Now, the merge works. The results are still not intriguing:
        >
        > --- snip ---
        >
        > Temporary File
        > This file was inserted by mshcMigrate.exe.

        > More Information
        > TOC and Index items are now defined using Meta tags stored within each topic. So empty TOC links, duplicate TOC links, toc Links with bookmarks, and TOC links to remote locations are no longer possible.
        >
        > The temporary solution is to generate a temporary file so that help will merge correctly. At some stage you will need to remove these temporary files from your help source.
        >
        > ---snap---
        >
        > Ahem,... yes...
        > I'm only a poor programmer. What does this mean for me???
        > Does it mean, the merge or whatever part of the process is not able to provide the link structure of the original document? Does it expect, to provide this by editing some alien files in manually providing this structure information. I cannot believe this. Is someone here able to give a complete solution?
        >
        > As a general remark, because someone mentioned MS presence here in this group:
        >
        > I'm using VS since version 1.5. I have to say, the whole concept of help was never in a worse shape than now.
        >
        > I mean, I have to crawl through a whole ecosphere of tools to achieve basic things - in this case the integration of a help topic related to a fundamental aspect of Windows programming. Am I too assuming to expect not to worry about this at all? A SDK able to provide these things during installation?
        >
        > Michael

      • therisnosuchalias
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2011
          Thank you Rob. Finally, I got enough information in order to stop spending too much effort solving the case for the moment .

          And your H3Viewer eases the general pain, thank you for this one too.

          Michael