Installing and testing foreign-language help libraries

  • phins_4ever
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2010

      Hi --

      I want to include info in a spec for our next release about the install commands for the various languages that VS supports. (We've supported VS 2010 in English Beta releases, but the next GA release is the first one to support all languages.)

      To confirm the info I'm including in the spec, I did the following steps to test things out:
      1.  Migrated French help topics from the last release to Help Viewer syntax.
      2.  Created a signed CAB file (in anticipation of testing a silent install).
      3.  Opened the Regional and Language Options dialog and selected French (France) on the Regional Options page.
      4.  On the command line, entered the command to manually install (i.e., not silent) the French help library.
      5.  Stepped through the pages in the Help Library Manager and successfully installed the help library.
      6.  Started VS 2010. Most UI strings were still in English, but some were in French.
      7.  Clicked Help > View Help. The French help library was not displayed in Help Viewer.
      8.  Opened the Add Connection dialog and pressed F1. Got a 404.
      9.  Opened the H3Viewer. With VS/100/en-US selected in the Catalog list, the French help library was not displayed.
      10. Selected VS/100/fr-FR in the Catalog list. The French help library was displayed in the H3Viewer!
      11.  Made H3Viewer the default viewer and then stopped the Help Library Agent.
      12.  Quit and restarted VS 2010, and then clicked Help > View Help. H3Viewer opened and displayed the French Help library, but the topic pane displayed the 404 topic.
      13.  Opened the Add Connection dialog again in VS and pressed F1. Got a 404 again in the topic pane of H3Viewer.

      At this point, I don't know if the culprit is the Help Library Agent or a known bug in MS Help Viewer 1.1

      If anyone has successfully delivered help in multiple languages for VS 2010, I'd sure appreciate knowing how you tested the install with an English version of the operating system and VS 2010 and and workarounds you had to use to make things work properly.

      Thanks a bunch!
      Chat

    • Paul O'Rear
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2010

        Hi Chat – Visual Studio relies on locale specific language packs to be installed to correctly support those other locales. If you have an MSDN Subscription, you can install the various locale specific versions and they will install the correct lang packs.

        When more than one locale version of VS is installed on the same machine, the International Settings Language setting (In Tools|Options|Environment) gets set to “Same as Microsoft Windows”. VS will then do some logic to try to find a matching language pack to the host OS and use that as the locale for VS. VS will in turn use that as the locale to pass in the query to the help system.

        So – Example I:

        1)      English OS

        2)      VS en-us & VS fr-fr installed

        3)      Language setting = “Same as Microsoft Windows”

        4)      VS will determine to use en-us language (based on Windows OS) and when the user selects Help->ViewHelp will call the help system with

        a.       Ms-xhelp:///?method=F1&query=msdnstart&product=VS&productVersion=100&locale=en-us

        Example II:

        1)      English OS

        2)      VS en-us & VS fr-fr installed

        3)      User changed Language setting to French (=fr-fr)

        4)      VS will determine to use fr-fr language (since it is explicitly set) and when the user selects Help->ViewHelp will call the help system with

        a.       Ms-xhelp:///?method=F1&query=msdnstart&product=VS&productVersion=100&locale=fr-fr

        The same basic principles apply on other locale operating systems.

        The shortest route then for testing different locales on the same OS without having all the different versions of VS installed is to launch the help system via the Start->Run dialog using these URLs directly rather than via the VS IDE.

        I hope that answers most of your questions!

        P.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2011
          Hi Paul --

          A very belated but nonetheless enthusiastic THANK YOU for the valuable info that you provided in December! After many false starts and a holiday break, finally got everything working this week, so we're good to go on our testing -- yeaa!!

          Noticed something that I didn't expect. I inadvertently installed the English content without uninstalling the French content. (I changed the Windows locale to English and rebooted my machine before installing the English content.) At that point, every topic that I opened (whether through F1, Help | View Help, or an Ms-xhelp call in the Run dialog) was the French version (for the Ms-xhelp calls, I did use &locale=en-us.). Even after uninstalling the French content, the French topics were still displaying.

          Did some more testing and learned that if I uninstalled everything and installed the English content first and then the French content (with the appropriate Windows locale settings and necessary reboots), every topic I opened was the English version -- even when the Windows locale was French and with &locale=fr-fr specified in the Ms-xhelp calls.

          It seems that if Help content is installed in multiple languages on a given system, whichever language is installed first prevails in all help calls, regardless of the Windows locale setting or the locale specified in Ms-xhelp calls.

          It's worth noting that a) in the Options dialog, Language was set to Same as Microsoft Windows on the International Settings page for all tests, and b) the Help Library Agent was stopped between every help call.

          Is this a known issue? Or did I overlook a necessary step when installing content in multiple languages?

          As always, thanks so much for all your help, Paul!

          Chat

        • Paul O'Rear
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2011

            Thanks Chat!

            Can you describe the process you used for installing the French content?

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 11, 2011
              Hi Paul --

              I wanted to be sure that I covered all the bases, so I probably selected more options than necessary. The process I used to install French as the first language is as follows:

              1.  Uninstall both English and French help libraries.
              2. Open the Regional and Language Options dialog from the Control Panel.
              3. On the Regional Options page In the Standards and formats group box, select French (France) in the drop-down list.
              4. In the Location group box, select France in the drop-down list.
              5. Click Apply.
              6. Click the Languages tab, and then click Details. The Test Services and Input Languages dialog opens.
              7. Select French (France) - French in the drop-down list as the default input language.
              8. In the Installed services group box, select FR French (France).
              9. Click OK. The Test Services and Input Languages dialog closes.
              10. In the Regional and Languages Options dialog, click the Advanced tab.
              11. In the Language for non-Unicode programs group box, select French (France), and then reboot when prompted.
              12. After Windows has restarted, install the French library by using the following command:
              "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Help Viewer\v1.0\HelpLibManager.exe" /product VS /version 100 /locale fr-FR  /install /sourceMedia "C:\Installdir\fr-FR\helpcontentsetup.msha"

              I used the same process (without step 1 and with English selections) when I installed English as the second language.

              Please let me know if you need additional info, Paul. And thanks again for all your help!

              Chat