RE: [MSHelpViewer] Code examples not displayed

  • Paul O'Rear
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010

      I notice at least on my machine when I look at the offline topic at the bottom of the page it shows:  Build Date: 2010-02-04

      On the Online version of the page, I noted: Last Published: 2010-06-09

      So that prompted me to take a look whether there were updates available for my offline content to see whether updating my local content would now bring down the sample – I updated and sure enough the sample is there.

      P.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
        Yes, I see the same thing! Thank you!

        The interesting thing here is that I had tried a Help update before posting this problem on July 26, well after the June 9 update, but was told that Help was up to date. Oh well, definitely not a Viewer or even local Help problem....

        --- In MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com, Paul O'Rear <paorear@...> wrote:

        > I notice at least on my machine when I look at the offline topic at the bottom of the page it shows: Build Date: 2010-02-04
        > On the Online version of the page, I noted: Last Published: 2010-06-09
        >
        > So that prompted me to take a look whether there were updates available for my offline content to see whether updating my local content would now bring down the sample - I updated and sure enough the sample is there.
        >
        > P.

      • Paul O'Rear
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5, 2010

          Yes – we’re still getting our publishing and packaging cadence optimized. We generally don’t want to provide offline updates daily for just one topic changing for example. Though maybe that’s not necessarily a bad idea either. I guess it depends on how you the customer would perceive that – would you want to update daily if you knew there were updates available (would you feel sort of compelled to update if you knew that were the case)? Or would it be more the case that for any given day, you just want to be able to ensure that you are able to download and it would be 100% up-to-date?

          P.

          The interesting thing here is that I had tried a Help update before posting this problem on July 26, well after the June 9 update, but was told that Help was up to date. Oh well, definitely not a Viewer or even local Help problem....

          --- In MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com, Paul O'Rear <paorear@...> wrote:

          > I notice at least on my machine when I look at the offline topic at the bottom of the page it shows: Build Date: 2010-02-04
          > On the Online version of the page, I noted: Last Published: 2010-06-09
          >
          > So that prompted me to take a look whether there were updates available for my offline content to see whether updating my local content would now bring down the sample - I updated and sure enough the sample is there.
          >
          > P.

        • allon_g
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2010
            Being able to download content as soon as it's updated on MSDN would be great, and would help close the gap between the online and offline experience. There are many reasons why I prefer the offline help - the index, speed and offline availability, to name a few, especially on the go, where internet connectivity can sometimes be unreliable and sometimes a bit slow.

            Every time I remember to update MSDN on my laptop (which is once in a blue moon, since the help system never takes the initiative to tell me there's an update available), I am on a comparatively slow and metered cellular connection, and the update gives me either a choice of 1.6 GB or nothing, and attempting the large download not only sets me back that much on my monthly bandwidth quota, but also during the long download process I always seem to lose connection, or have to switch off my laptop, or some other reason I can't continue, and so the help manager errors-out and stops the update process. Since it can't resume, the next attempt starts from scratch and so I've been unsuccessful in updating it so far on my laptop.

            Moving to a per-article update method, that has a smart mechanism for knowing which article needed to be updated and performed the download quietly in the background, would not only solve the large download issue, but would also keep everything continuously updated, with minimum user interaction. If the update process also downloads community-contributed content (which sometimes can be critically important), then it would really complete the experience.

            Just my two cents.
          • frankhileman
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2010
              Microsoft could reduce the download size is by changing the compression method. Zip files are not an efficient way to distribute many small files. I tried using the .7z format (LZMA compression) and the compressed file was much smaller.

              - Frank