VS 2010 RC now available

  • Robert Chandler
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 8, 2010
      FYI

      VS 2010 RC release is now available via MSDN subscriber downloads, and publicly around the 10th of Feb.
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/dd582936.aspx

      So for those stuck on Beta 2 Help this is your chance to get something stable and release quality.

      Please, anything you find in the RC that does not go well with mshcMigrate or H3Viewer please contact me (here or directly via robertc at helpware dot net)

      Cheers
      Rob
    • andrewscea
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 10, 2010
        Thanks for the notice, Rob.
        I've downloaded and installed VS2010RC. I'm happy to report that my TOC plug-in to MS content now works (it did not in Beta2). However, it seems we're still tied to the MS .css and cannot yet have standalone content (seems that the TOCOrder cannot be "0" for anything but MS content and SelfBranding must = false).
        Any further word on signing?

        thanks again for keeping us all informed.

        Andrew

        --- In MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Chandler" <robertc@...> wrote:

        > FYI
        >
        > VS 2010 RC release is now available via MSDN subscriber downloads, and publicly around the 10th of Feb.
        > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/dd582936.aspx
        >
        > So for those stuck on Beta 2 Help this is your chance to get something stable and release quality.
        >
        > Please, anything you find in the RC that does not go well with mshcMigrate or H3Viewer please contact me (here or directly via robertc at helpware dot net)
        >
        > Cheers
        > Rob

      • Rob Chandler
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 11, 2010
          Hi Andrew

          Paul could comment better on the Order. I suspect Microsoft reserve themselves order position 0 .. for the root.  Fair enough. I'd expect MS content to be listed first.

          You should be seeing your CSS and JS working now. Just make sure, before Migrating, you set SelfBranded=Yes on the mshcMigrate Options page (or do a find and replace and set SelfBranded=true). If you do something really fancy like inject JS and CSS at runtime then that could be why.

          Remember to first remove old test content that has the
          a) The same Book, Package name.
          b) same Topic IDs.

          Try a simple test. Take 2 page and your CSS and put them in a folder.
          In mshcMigate set that folder directory as the input. Migrate. Merge and
          search for those pages.

          If you are getting nowhere please send me a small example.

          Cheers
          Rob

          At 11:44 AM 11/02/2010, andrewscea wrote:

          Thanks for the notice, Rob.
          I've downloaded and installed VS2010RC. I'm happy to report that my TOC plug-in to MS content now works (it did not in Beta2). However, it seems we're still tied to the MS .css and cannot yet have standalone content (seems that the TOCOrder cannot be "0" for anything but MS content and SelfBranding must = false).
          Any further word on signing?

          thanks again for keeping us all informed.

          Andrew

          --- In MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Chandler" <robertc@...> wrote:

          > FYI
          >
          > VS 2010 RC release is now available via MSDN subscriber downloads, and publicly around the 10th of Feb.
          > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/dd582936.aspx
          >
          > So for those stuck on Beta 2 Help this is your chance to get something stable and release quality.
          >
          > Please, anything you find in the RC that does not go well with mshcMigrate or H3Viewer please contact me (here or directly via robertc at helpware dot net)
          >
          > Cheers
          > Rob

        • Rob Chandler
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 11, 2010
            Good Blog post by Kimberly Wolk for RC Help

            http://blogs.msdn.com/kwolk/default.aspx

            Kimberly is the Product Unit Manager for the Library Experience team.

            Rob
          • Paul O'Rear
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 11, 2010

              Hi Andrew, please take note:  Microsoft.Help.SelfBranded - not ‘ing’. CSS and JS should work fine if you have the right attribute defined. Please feel free to send me a sample of your content and I will help you diagnose what’s going on.

              I’m not sure that our content takes any precedence over content when more than one topic may both have ‘0’ as the ToCOrder – you’d have to take a look and see what value we are using on our top level nodes. I believe the result may either be arbitrary or alphabetical sort at that point.

              Paul could comment better on the Order. I suspect Microsoft reserve themselves order position 0 .. for the root.  Fair enough. I'd expect MS content to be listed first.

              You should be seeing your CSS and JS working now. Just make sure, before Migrating, you set SelfBranded=Yes on the mshcMigrate Options page (or do a find and replace and set SelfBranded=true). If you do something really fancy like inject JS and CSS at runtime then that could be why.

              Remember to first remove old test content that has the
              a) The same Book, Package name.
              b) same Topic IDs.

              Try a simple test. Take 2 page and your CSS and put them in a folder.
              In mshcMigate set that folder directory as the input. Migrate. Merge and
              search for those pages.

              If you are getting nowhere please send me a small example.

              Cheers
              Rob

              At 11:44 AM 11/02/2010, andrewscea wrote:

              Thanks for the notice, Rob.
              I've downloaded and installed VS2010RC. I'm happy to report that my TOC plug-in to MS content now works (it did not in Beta2). However, it seems we're still tied to the MS .css and cannot yet have standalone content (seems that the TOCOrder cannot be "0" for anything but MS content and SelfBranding must = false).
              Any further word on signing?

              thanks again for keeping us all informed.

              Andrew

              --- In MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Chandler" <robertc@...> wrote:

              > FYI
              >
              > VS 2010 RC release is now available via MSDN subscriber downloads, and publicly around the 10th of Feb.
              > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/dd582936.aspx
              >
              > So for those stuck on Beta 2 Help this is your chance to get something stable and release quality.
              >
              > Please, anything you find in the RC that does not go well with mshcMigrate or H3Viewer please contact me (here or directly via robertc at helpware dot net)
              >
              > Cheers
              > Rob

            • andrewscea
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 11, 2010
                Thanks, Paul
                The typo was in my email, not my code. :- >
                But I was trying to mimic the MS stylesheet container (Help3Branding-IE6.mshc;/branding.css) which was the wrong way to go.
                I've got it working now. TOC working, self-brandED and .css working correctly. yay!
                Andrew

                --- In MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com, Paul O'Rear <paorear@...> wrote:

                > Hi Andrew, please take note: Microsoft.Help.SelfBranded - not 'ing'. CSS and JS should work fine if you have the right attribute defined. Please feel free to send me a sample of your content and I will help you diagnose what's going on.
                >
                > I'm not sure that our content takes any precedence over content when more than one topic may both have '0' as the ToCOrder - you'd have to take a look and see what value we are using on our top level nodes. I believe the result may either be arbitrary or alphabetical sort at that point.
                >
                > - P.
                > http://blogs.msdn.com/TheHelpGuy

              • Scott Stark
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 11, 2010
                  FYI this page http://helpware.net/mshelp3/intro.htm#tags says "ing" not "ed". Don't know who owns that page but it's a great reference.

                  Scott Stark

                  From:"andrewscea" <andrewscea@...>
                  To:MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com
                  Date:02/11/2010 04:50 PM
                  Subject:[MSHelpViewer] Re: VS 2010 RC now available
                  Sent by:MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com

                  Thanks, Paul
                  The typo was in my email, not my code. :- >
                  But I was trying to mimic the MS stylesheet container (Help3Branding-IE6.mshc;/branding.css) which was the wrong way to go.
                  I've got it working now. TOC working, self-brandED and .css working correctly. yay!
                  Andrew

                  --- In
                  MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com, Paul O'Rear <paorear@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Andrew, please take note: Microsoft.Help.SelfBranded - not 'ing'.
                  CSS and JS should work fine if you have the right attribute defined. Please feel free to send me a sample of your content and I will help you diagnose what's going on.

                  > I'm not sure that our content takes any precedence over content when
                  more than one topic may both have '0' as the ToCOrder - you'd have to take a look and see what value we are using on our top level nodes. I believe the result may either be arbitrary or alphabetical sort at that point.

                  > - P.

                  http://blogs.msdn.com/TheHelpGuy

                • Rob Chandler
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 11, 2010
                    Many thanks Scott. As an Engineer I'm a poor proof reader. I need to review this page again soon now that things are firming up.
                    Rob

                    From: "andrewscea" <andrewscea@...>
                    To: MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: 02/11/2010 04:50 PM
                    Sent by: MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com

                    Thanks, Paul
                    The typo was in my email, not my code. :- >
                    But I was trying to mimic the MS stylesheet container (Help3Branding-IE6.mshc;/branding.css) which was the wrong way to go.
                    I've got it working now. TOC working, self-brandED and .css working correctly. yay!
                    Andrew

                    --- In MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com, Paul O'Rear <paorear@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Andrew, please take note: Microsoft.Help.SelfBranded - not 'ing'. CSS and JS should work fine if you have the right attribute defined. Please feel free to send me a sample of your content and I will help you diagnose what's going on.
                    >
                    > I'm not sure that our content takes any precedence over content when more than one topic may both have '0' as the ToCOrder - you'd have to take a look and see what value we are using on our top level nodes. I believe the result may either be arbitrary or alphabetical sort at that point.
                    >
                    > - P.
                    > http://blogs.msdn.com/TheHelpGuy

                  • Rob Chandler
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 11, 2010
                      Oh I see. Yes the very early documentation I got
                      said "SelfBranding" but it now should be
                      "SelfBranded". Thanks Scott I thought I had updated that.

                      I've just updated that doc so all paths etc should be now match the RC release
                      <http://helpware.net/mshelp3/intro.htm>http://helpware.net/mshelp3/intro.htm

                      Eventually MS will release full documentation
                      Probably here
                      <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd776252(VS.100).aspx>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd776252(VS.100).aspx

                      Thanks
                      Rob

                      At 12:02 PM 12/02/2010, Scott Stark wrote:

                      >FYI this page
                      ><http://helpware.net/mshelp3/intro.htm#tags>http://helpware.net/mshelp3/intro.htm#tags
                      >says "ing" not "ed". Don't know who owns that page but it's a great reference.
                      >
                      >Scott Stark
                      >

                      >From: "andrewscea" <andrewscea@...>
                      >To: MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com
                      >Date: 02/11/2010 04:50 PM
                      >Subject: [MSHelpViewer] Re: VS 2010 RC now available
                      >Sent by: MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com
                      >

                      >Thanks, Paul
                      >The typo was in my email, not my code. :- >
                      >But I was trying to mimic the MS stylesheet
                      >container (Help3Branding-IE6.mshc;/branding.css)
                      >which was the wrong way to go.
                      >I've got it working now. TOC working,
                      >self-brandED and .css working correctly. yay!
                      >Andrew
                      >
                      >--- In
                      ><mailto:MSHelpViewer%40yahoogroups.com>MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com,
                      >Paul O'Rear <paorear@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Andrew, please take note:
                      > Microsoft.Help.SelfBranded - not 'ing'. CSS and
                      > JS should work fine if you have the right
                      > attribute defined. Please feel free to send me
                      > a sample of your content and I will help you diagnose what's going on.
                      > >
                      > > I'm not sure that our content takes any
                      > precedence over content when more than one
                      > topic may both have '0' as the ToCOrder - you'd
                      > have to take a look and see what value we are
                      > using on our top level nodes. I believe the
                      > result may either be arbitrary or alphabetical sort at that point.
                      > >
                      > > - P.
                      > > <http://blogs.msdn.com/TheHelpGuy>http://blogs.msdn.com/TheHelpGuy

                    • Paul O'Rear
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 12, 2010

                        Great news – I’m glad to hear that!

                        The typo was in my email, not my code. :- >
                        But I was trying to mimic the MS stylesheet container (Help3Branding-IE6.mshc;/branding.css) which was the wrong way to go.
                        I've got it working now. TOC working, self-brandED and .css working correctly. yay!
                        Andrew

                        --- In MSHelpViewer@yahoogroups.com, Paul O'Rear <paorear@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Andrew, please take note: Microsoft.Help.SelfBranded - not 'ing'. CSS and JS should work fine if you have the right attribute defined. Please feel free to send me a sample of your content and I will help you diagnose what's going on.
                        >
                        > I'm not sure that our content takes any precedence over content when more than one topic may both have '0' as the ToCOrder - you'd have to take a look and see what value we are using on our top level nodes. I believe the result may either be arbitrary or alphabetical sort at that point.
                        >
                        > - P.
                        > http://blogs.msdn.com/TheHelpGuy

                      • Scott Stark
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 12, 2010

                          Hi, I'm new to this discussion and the tool so please forgive the naive question. In reviewing some of the required and suggested elements in this document (http://helpware.net/mshelp3/intro.htm#tags), I see the meta TocOrder and TocParent elements. It seems to me that by assigning a numeric value to a topic's order in the TOC, and its parent, you lock it into a structure which makes it not portable -- that is, it can't be used in any other context. Also, what happens if the same topic is used in more than one place in your navigation?

                          thanks,
                          Scott
                        • Paul O'Rear
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 14, 2010

                            The new help viewer does not support having a topic showing up in more than one location in the TOC. That’s something we could consider in a future release, but it would be good to hear some scenarios where you utilize that in other help systems.

                            In general, I can see your argument in favor of loosening up how TOC relationships are defined, or possibly providing an alternative approach for defining this. Currently, we largely look at the format of the content that gets packaged into .mshc files as an output target format , essentially for a single product release, rather than as single source documents, possibly used for multiple products. We’ve been coming across a number of partners already, however, that are trying to do more of the latter. (i.e. use the same xhtml files for .chm, .hxs, .mshc files for example)

                            So to answer your last question – currently, you can’t do that. It can only be used in place in your navigation.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 19, 2010
                              On Sun, February 14, 2010 10:24 pm, Paul O'Rear wrote:
                              > The new help viewer does not support having a topic showing up in more
                              > than one location in the TOC. That's something we could consider in a
                              > future release, but it would be good to hear some scenarios where you
                              > utilize that in other help systems.

                              One scenario: I document a Basic-like programming language. In our program
                              editor, we have a pick list of all instructions, and then filtered lists
                              based on functionality. So an instruction will show up in two lists. I've
                              been asked to structure the TOC like this as well, though right now
                              (because I hate redundancy ;) I have resisted implementing the duplicate,
                              though I can see where some people would find it useful.

                              Dana W.
                              Microsoft Help MVP

                              Marketing Software Product Manager/
                              Manager Software Support Group