EUMETCAST Broken?

  • markedwards_ed2002
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      Just a quick question. Has anyone else noticed a sudden drop in the
      amount of data being transferred over EUMETCAST? From 8pm BST (7 UTC)
      I have had a drop in the data rate from 300k to 56k.

      As a result I am now only picking up channel 2 and 3 data. Also there
      are a lot of segments missing in the HRIT data with no associated
      packet loss in the Tellicast system client.

      Just wondering if EUMETSAT are having difficulties on the uplink side
      of the system.

      Mark.
    • John Say
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2007
        Mark,

        See the following from UNS:

        EUMETCast Meteosat 0 degree High Rate SEVIRI News

        Issued on 01/05/07 at 19:52:33

        Seq Nr: 2

        News information:
        Repeat Cycles from 19:00 on are interrupted or not available. We will inform you when nominal service is resumed.

        Cheers
        John

        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2007
          Sorry,

          Answered my own question.
          After a bit of digging in the received reports I found this:

          Meteosat News Message

          Issued on 2007/05/01 at 20:02

          Seq Nr: 003

          EUMETCast Meteosat 0 degree High Rate SEVIRI News
          News information:
          Repeat Cycles from 19:00 on are interrupted or not available. We will
          inform you when nominal service is resumed.

          EUMETCast Meteosat 0 degree Multi-Service News
          News information:
          Meteorological Products from 18:45 on are interrupted or not
          available. We will inform you when nominal service is resumed.

          INFORMATION:
          For further information, please contact the EUMETSAT User Services
          Helpdesk
          Tel: +49 6151 807 366
          Fax: +49 6151 807 379
          Email: ops@...
          www.eumetsat.int

          Mark.
        • markedwards_ed2002
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2007
            Just spotted it.

            Thanks John.

            Mark.

            --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "John Say" <seggins@...> wrote:

            > Mark,
            >
            > See the following from UNS:
            >
            > EUMETCast Meteosat 0 degree High Rate SEVIRI News
            >
            > Issued on 01/05/07 at 19:52:33
            >
            > Seq Nr: 2
            >
            > News information:
            > Repeat Cycles from 19:00 on are interrupted or not available. We
            will inform you when nominal service is resumed.

            > Cheers
            > John

          • ferdinand valk
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2007
              I am seeing the same. Both MSG-1 and 2 HRIT show massive amounts of missing
              segments...

              Ferdinand

              _____

              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2007
                markedwards_ed2002 wrote:
                > Hi everyone,
                >
                > Just a quick question. Has anyone else noticed a sudden drop in the
                > amount of data being transferred over EUMETCAST? From 8pm BST (7 UTC)
                > I have had a drop in the data rate from 300k to 56k.
                >
                > As a result I am now only picking up channel 2 and 3 data. Also there
                > are a lot of segments missing in the HRIT data with no associated
                > packet loss in the Tellicast system client.
                >
                > Just wondering if EUMETSAT are having difficulties on the uplink side
                > of the system.
                >
                > Mark.

                Yes, Mark, as John and Ferdinand have already confirmed, there appears to
                be some problem with the feed of data into EUMETCast, as some data is OK
                and other data not. I hope it will be resolved soon. EUMETCast is
                normally a very reliable system.

                You can compare your system throughput with others across Europe form this
                page:

                http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/Eumetcast.html#throughput

                and the signal strength of the Hotbird transmission here:

                http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/EumetcastEurope.html

              • Giuseppe Cico
                Message 7 of 8 , May 2, 2007
                  Yesterday evening I've had just a look, but noticed that some (a lot
                  of?...) data were sent out of order; 1715 segments during 1730 cycle, for
                  example :

                  2007-05-01 17.34.12.000
                  H-000-MSG2__-MSG2________-HRV______-000006___-200705011730-C_
                  2007-05-01 17.34.18.000
                  H-000-MSG2__-MSG2________-HRV______-000007___-200705011730-C_
                  2007-05-01 17.36.50.000
                  L-000-MTP___-MET7________-06_4_057E-000001___-200705011800-C_
                  2007-05-01 17.33.58.000
                  H-000-MSG2__-MSG2________-HRV______-000020___-200705011715-C_
                  2007-05-01 17.38.34 Skipped - data is older than current data
                  2007-05-01 17.34.00.000
                  H-000-MSG2__-MSG2________-HRV______-000021___-200705011715-C_
                  2007-05-01 17.38.34 Skipped - data is older than current data
                  2007-05-01 17.34.02.000
                  H-000-MSG2__-MSG2________-HRV______-000022___-200705011715-C_
                  2007-05-01 17.38.54 Skipped - data is older than current data
                  2007-05-01 17.34.02.000
                  H-000-MSG2__-MSG2________-HRV______-000023___-200705011715-C_
                  2007-05-01 17.38.54 Skipped - data is older than current data
                  2007-05-01 17.34.04.000
                  H-000-MSG2__-MSG2________-HRV______-000024___-200705011715-C_
                  2007-05-01 17.38.54 Skipped - data is older than current data
                  2007-05-01 17.34.46.000
                  H-000-MSG2__-MSG2________-HRV______-000008___-200705011730-C_
                  2007-05-01 17.35.16.000
                  H-000-MSG2__-MSG2________-IR_016___-000003___-200705011730-C_
                  2007-05-01 17.35.18.000
                  H-000-MSG2__-MSG2________-IR_039___-000003___-200705011730-C_

                  Ciao
                  Giuseppe

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 2, 2007
                    Giuseppe Cico wrote:
                    > Yesterday evening I've had just a look, but noticed that some (a lot
                    > of?...) data were sent out of order; 1715 segments during 1730 cycle,
                    > for example :
                    []
                    > Ciao
                    > Giuseppe

                    Thanks, Giuseppe, I also noted this (Tools, Missing Segments Report), and
                    reported it to EUMETSAT. I think what happens is that if there has been a
                    break in transmission, the current data is given higher priority than
                    older data, and hence the out-of-order segments.

                    I do wonder, if there is enough bandwidth, it might be better to send the
                    segments in order, but of course weather forecasters always want the most
                    recent information!