Re: No receipt since 13:15 UTC?

  • W_Guenzl
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hi,

      my computer collected 3608 objects over night first without the MSGDM:
      first one 30.09.2006; 21:31 UTC
      last one 01.10.2006; 06:48 UTC
      in D:\EUMETCast\received\

      NOW I started MSGDM. While MSGDM decoded the object number descended
      up to 25 objects.

      After decoding some objects the TelliCast client stopped the data
      channel activities. Only after I rebooted the computer the activities
      started again.

      Result: MSGDM stops data flow under unknown circumstances.

      Cheers,
      Werner.
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
        W_Guenzl wrote:
        > --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:
        []
        >> 3 - Reboot
        >
        > Done -- Now activities on all data channels.
        >
        > Why that?
        >
        > I did this already yesterday until today at 8:30 UTC again all
        > channels stopped.

        Sorry, I don't know. There is a trouble-shooting checklist here:

        http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/wxsat/atovs/EUMETCast-trouble-shooting-guide.html

        If the answer isn't there, or someone here can't help, you might check
        with EUMETSAT. Be sure you are using the most recent TelliCast client
        software (V2.4.4 B), although I don't think that using the older software
        would cause the channel activity to stop.

        > My hard disk shows: C:\ 78,13 GB, free 70,28 GB = 89 % --
        > That is space enough.

        Yes, but is the disk NTFS formatted?

        > Since DWDSAT was released I receive these data. This is a tide
        > of files from which I would filter only those which interest me.
        >
        > How can that be done? -- Is that my problem? Does something
        > floods here after some (about 16) hours?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Werner.

        If you are using my MSG Data Manager software to process the data, it does
        give you some control over filtering the data. If you have some specific
        suggestions, perhaps you could discuss them in the DWDSAT Yahoo group, and
        I may update my software based on the views agreed there.

      • Ulrich G. Kliegis
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
          Werner,

          what filesystem do you have in use on the disk where you collect all data?
          FAT 32 or NTFS?

          An occasional defragmentation of the disk might also be helpful. And even
          more useful: A search for remainders of system crashes etc., iow, run a
          scandisk utility.

          In a comparable situation, I was able to start the system again by first
          running the T-Systems software for some time (20 minutes or so) before
          starting MSGDM.

          BTW, you can control the handling of DWD-data from within the setup pane
          in MSGDM.

          If the probs persist, please give us a short description of your hardware and
          setup.

          And keep the T-Systems monitor window closed, it eats tons of computing
          resources.

          Do you run any other programs on that machine? If so, which?

          Tschüß,
          U.

          On 30 Sep 2006 at 11:02, W_Guenzl wrote:

          > --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:
          >
          > > It's possible that you are locked onto the wrong satellite -
          > > I think there was a small EUMETCast glitch at around that time.
          > > In order of increasing severity, try:
          > >
          > > 1 - Right-click on the green/red satellite icon, and select
          > > EUMETCast :: Hotbird 13E
          >
          > So it is. Signal Quality 56%. After some seconds it apears:
          > "T-Systems" and "013.0 Ost". That´s the right satellite.
          > Nothing changed.
          >
          > > or
          > >
          > > 2 - Stop and restart the Server4PC process. (Right-click, Exit,
          > > run Server4PC)
          >
          > Done. No success.
          >
          > > 3 - Reboot
          >
          > Done -- Now activities on all data channels.
          >
          > Why that?
          >
          > I did this already yesterday until today at 8:30 UTC again all
          > channels stopped.
          >
          > My hard disk shows: C:\ 78,13 GB, free 70,28 GB = 89 % --
          > That is space enough.
          >
          > Since DWDSAT was released I receive these data. This is a tide
          > of files from which I would filter only those which interest me.
          >
          > How can that be done? -- Is that my problem? Does something
          > floods here after some (about 16) hours?
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Werner.
          >

          > Unsure what a term means? Check the Glossary at:
          > http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/wxsat/glossary.htm
          >
          > Join GEO Group for Earth Observation for the informative GEO
          > Quarterly magazine - 11 issues in under three years:
          > http://www.geo-web.org.uk/
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • V.P.Williams
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
            Werner,
            Had a similar issue to yourself all though I did get Admin messages
            during the period image files stopped. Only way to clear the problem was a
            reboot of computer. Unfortunately I did not copy the files from the ram disk
            before rebooting so I can't give details of the admin files. I am running
            all the latest s/w.

            Viv

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
              V.P.Williams wrote:
              > Werner,
              > Had a similar issue to yourself all though I did get Admin
              > messages
              > during the period image files stopped. Only way to clear the problem
              > was a
              > reboot of computer. Unfortunately I did not copy the files from the
              > ram disk
              > before rebooting so I can't give details of the admin files. I am
              > running
              > all the latest s/w.
              >
              > Viv

              Viv,

              I would not normally recommend keeping data files on your RAMdisk, just
              the TelliCast temporary .FSY file(s).

              http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
            • a_van_belle
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
                Hello Werner,

                Only interaction between MSGDM and Tellicast could be RAM.
                To decode all channels MSGDM needs around 400 MB RAM.
                If your system does not have enough RAM (512 Mb is too small) windows
                will start to swap less used programs to disk, causing a slowdown or
                programs to stop working properly. Try deselecting LRIT and some HRIT
                channels in MSGDM setup.

                To check the availabe/used RAM, open taskmanager, Performance, Peak
                usage. Should not be a lot above the "available Physical memory".

                Troubleshooting Tellicast: Open the HTML shell and go to Logfile.
                Look for "ERR:" or "WRN:" entries.

                Good luck,
                Arne van Belle