Re: [MSG-1] Setup4PC, Status, Transponder information, no network shown?

  • James Brown
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1, 2006
      In message <000901c6cc7d$453cab20$131313ac@...>, David J Taylor
      <gm8arv@...> writes
      >Folks,
      >
      >Is it just me, or on Setup4PC, Status display, Transponder information, is
      >the network name not currently shown? I get "Acquiring", despite leaving
      >the display up for quite a long time....

      Update as of Friday morning BER is now back to 0 - SNR is better than
      10.0, SS 73-75% but still no transponder info.

      Cheers
      James
      --
      James Brown
    • geojohnt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 2, 2006
        agm@... writes:

        Same here, just switched on, Network is 'aquiring', 70% ( slightly down for
        NW Kent) S/N 10.8, BER various at E-007, no uncorrected bocks. Images are all
        OK with no missing segments so I don't think I'll fiddle. Weather here is
        fine, light cloud, sun beginning to break through.

        Cheers, Guy

        All,

        It seems to me that with all the recent talk of signal reduction - though
        there has been an exception - it does appear to be a fact.
        Mine is still down at 63/64% SNR 8.3/5 and still 'Acquiring.'
        But I've never had any BER unless the signal has dropped to less than 20%
        with heavy rain fade - very rare

        I was interested in Guys comment that he got 10.8 SNR with 70% signal.
        I only get 9.1 SNR with (my usual) 70% signal.

        Arne said some time ago that the signal level, etc. indicator appears to
        vary with individual systems and is just an indication. But it seems some are
        having BER's with a good - around 60% signal?

        Regards,
        John.

      • Guy Martin
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 2, 2006
          John,

          The only thing that concerned me was the BER which is normally zero however it is all working just fine. As Arne says the readings are software generated and should be taken with a 'pinch of salt'.
          As for the 'aquiring' I guess someone has turned off the satellites channel ID.

          Cheers, Guy

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 5, 2006
            All,

            Interestingly the signal quality here is starting to rise...more noticeably since midnight Tues/Wed. Only a few percentage points (55% 6.8).
            Is this due to small changes in satellite location?

            Cheers
            John

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 5, 2006
              John Say wrote:
              > All,
              >
              > Interestingly the signal quality here is starting to rise...more
              > noticeably since midnight Tues/Wed. Only a few percentage points
              > (55% 6.8). Is this due to small changes in satellite location?
              >
              > Cheers
              > John

              John,

              The weather here has benn quite bad with rain, making it impossible for me
              to comment. HotBird 6 shows as 0.02N, 12.98E in WXtrack, but that's with
              7-day old Keplers.

            • ALAN GARD
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
                There's been no noticeable improvement here in Beds. In clear weather, Quality is typically 68 (was 78), SNR 9 (was 10). But the BER remains 0 and that's what counts, I suppose.

                Has anyone at Eumetsat suggested what might have caused the sudden reduction? Satellite drift would surely produce a more gradual effect, wouldn't it? Folks with a more marginal signal must be losing a few segments, I would think.

                Chers
                Alan

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
                  ALAN GARD wrote:
                  > There's been no noticeable improvement here in Beds. In clear
                  > weather, Quality is typically 68 (was 78), SNR 9 (was 10). But the
                  > BER remains 0 and that's what counts, I suppose.
                  >
                  > Has anyone at Eumetsat suggested what might have caused the sudden
                  > reduction? Satellite drift would surely produce a more gradual
                  > effect, wouldn't it? Folks with a more marginal signal must be
                  > losing a few segments, I would think.
                  >
                  > Chers
                  > Alan

                  Alan,

                  I've had no feedback from EUMETSAT, but my daily reports continue to
                  comment on the signal here. I'm seeing a non-zero BER, but no missing
                  segments. Still no network ID.

                  Looking at the TelliCast statistics display on my MSG1 + AVHRR PC, per day
                  I am seeing about 62 packets missed before FEC, 18 recovered packets, and
                  12GB data volume. That's in a 24-hour period. The other PCs show higher
                  values presumably because they are taking more data. Backup PC (MSG1 +
                  MSG2 + AVHRR) before: 258, recovered 27, data volume 20.5GB. Test PC
                  (MSG1 + AVHRR + EPS) missed before 2302, recovered: 246, data volume
                  40.6GB.

                • Ian Deans
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
                    Yes I agree Alan. Up here in eastern Scotland my signal strength is still
                    down about 12% when measured in cloudless skies. Absolutely no problem with
                    the reduced signal ( about 61/62% ). I think people would probably be
                    surprised how low the signal strength ( and corresponding SNR) could go
                    before segment loss started. As I mentioned in a recent mail I have run for
                    an hour with less than 15% strength and not lost a segment, but I would not
                    recommend that as nominal !!

                    Regards
                    Ian.

                  • geojohnt@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
                      isdeans1.-_@... writes:

                      Yes I agree Alan. Up here in eastern Scotland my signal strength is still
                      down about 12% when measured in cloudless skies. Absolutely no problem with
                      the reduced signal ( about 61/62% ). I think people would probably be
                      surprised how low the signal strength ( and corresponding SNR) could go
                      before segment loss started.

                      Ian,

                      All this recent talk about reduced signal strength and your comment
                      regarding 'how low it can go' reminds me of the fairly often asked question - what
                      size of dish do I require for EUMETCast.

                      Well, we know that EUMETSAT recommend 85 cm in the central area and 1.8 m at
                      the outer signal contours.
                      However we know that several people use a 60 cm dish with no problems and
                      Arne has demonstrated using a 35 cm dish under clear sky conditions
                      successfully.
                      As you say, the signal level can drop to very low levels before missing
                      segments become a problem.

                      In the days of Meteosat WEFAX the EUMETSAT recommended dish size was 1.8 m
                      but we got away with 1m prime focus and some a 90 cm offset.
                      That was till Meteosat-6 10 degrees away from Meteosat-7 began ranging.
                      Then we knew why EUMETSAT recommended a 1.8 m dish!

                      So, I guess the (large) 85 cm dish recommended by EUMETSAT has a built in
                      margin for the possibility of reduced signal - for various reasons?
                      It does seem that there has been a noticeable reduction recently in the
                      output from the EUMETCast transponder which doesn't seem to have been answered
                      yet.

                      Regards,
                      John.

                    • Jose Miguel Ibáñez Mengual
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 7, 2006
                        Hi,

                        Recently I've installed my Eumetcast client station here in Granada
                        (Spain). The firsts days after install ( 1-2 September)
                        I had a signal about 65%, but now (since 4 September) the signal is
                        about 38-40%. I have no modified anything
                        in the station (software configuration nor anything else) and all the
                        time ther weather was/is good and clear.
                        I can't understood why the signal has been reduced. Due to this ( I
                        think ), now I have a lot of missing segments and files.

                        Is there anyone on Spain with this signal quality ? Which signal do you
                        have (in Spain) now?
                        Is it possible to have no missing segments with this signal quality ?
                        Which is minimal siganl quality required for a good recepction ?
                        What do you think is happening ?

                        I'm thinking re-pointing my dish antenna, but I prefer to wait for your
                        answers before move it. By the way, my dish size is 100cm.

                        Thanks and regards,
                        Jose M.

                        Ian Deans wrote:

                        >Yes I agree Alan. Up here in eastern Scotland my signal strength is still
                        >down about 12% when measured in cloudless skies. Absolutely no problem with
                        >the reduced signal ( about 61/62% ). I think people would probably be
                        >surprised how low the signal strength ( and corresponding SNR) could go
                        >before segment loss started. As I mentioned in a recent mail I have run for
                        >an hour with less than 15% strength and not lost a segment, but I would not
                        >recommend that as nominal !!
                        >
                        >Regards
                        >Ian.

                      • Daniel Santanach
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 7, 2006
                          Jose Miguel,

                          In Barcelona, Spain, a month ago I was getting a
                          signal about 50%; today, I'm getting a signal about
                          28% (always with sunny skies). So, at least for the
                          signal strength, don't worry, it seems it's not your
                          problem.

                          Anyway, even with such a low signal, I am not missing
                          any segment. Actually it seems that the limit for
                          missing segments due to the signal strength is around
                          15%.

                          Cheers,

                          Dani

                          --- Jose Miguel Ibáñez Mengual <jmiguel@...>

                          LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
                          http://es.voice.yahoo.com
                        • Jose Miguel Ibáñez Mengual
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 8, 2006
                            Thank you Daniel for your answer. Yesterday, I decided to re-adjusts
                            my LNB polarization and now I'm getting a signal strength arount 60%.
                            I can't understand this, because the first day I got a signal strength
                            about 65%
                            before re-adjust the LNB polarization angle.

                            By the way, which is the dish size you have ?
                            Which sofware or method do you use to get a "beoutiful" image of Europa
                            ? I'd prefer
                            if possible a simple and comand-line tool.

                            Thanks and cheers,
                            JM

                          • Daniel Santanach
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 8, 2006
                              Jose Miguel,

                              I have a 60 cm dish and I use the freeware XRIT2PIC
                              software
                              (http://www.alblas.demon.nl/wsat/software/soft_msg.html)
                              to get false colour pictures. I guess you already know
                              David Taylor's software
                              (http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk) that includes a
                              lot of interesting features but you must pay to get
                              it. Actually, I don't know any other software to
                              process MSG pictures.

                              escribió:

> [...]
                              > >>else) and all the
                              > >>time ther weather was/is good and clear.
                              > >>I can't understood why the signal has been
                              > reduced.
                              > >>Due to this ( I
                              > >>think ), now I have a lot of missing segments and
                              > >>files.
                              > >>
                              > >>Is there anyone on Spain with this signal quality
                              > ?
                              > >>Which signal do you
                              > >>have (in Spain) now?
                              > >>Is it possible to have no missing segments with
                              > this
                              > >>signal quality ?
                              > >>Which is minimal siganl quality required for a
                              > good
                              > >>recepction ?
                              > >>What do you think is happening ?
                              > >>
                              > >>I'm thinking re-pointing my dish antenna, but I
                              > >>prefer to wait for your
                              > >>answers before move it. By the way, my dish size

                              === message truncated ===

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 12, 2006
                                In a message dated 08/09/2006 10:57:43 GMT Daylight Time, jmiguel@...
                                writes:

                                Thank you Daniel for your answer. Yesterday, I decided to re-adjusts
                                my LNB polarization and now I'm getting a signal strength arount 60%.

                                All,

                                For those new to EUMETCast (and satellite TV, for that matter) reception,
                                Jose Miguel's comment is a useful reminder regarding setting up a dish - never
                                mind the current signal level situation.

                                The further away from S a satellite is stationed the more it appears to tilt
                                as 'seen' from your receiving location.
                                Looking S, satellites to the east will tilt anticlockwise and those to the
                                west of S will tilt clockwise. The further round - the more tilt.
                                In the southern hemisphere the reverse is applicable.

                                Most European Ku-band satellites transmit linear polarisation - horizontal
                                and vertical - our LNB's H/V pick-up probes require to be titled [skewed] to
                                match the satellites titled signal.
                                This is important to obtain maximum wanted signal but even more important -
                                since to cram in the maximum number of channels into the frequency bandwidth
                                available, part of the H and V channel transmitted frequencies overlap.
                                If your LNB is incorrectly skewed it will not pick up all the signal level
                                of the polarisation it is switched to and will also pick up some of the other
                                polarised signal you don't want, causing some co-channel interference.

                                Just what skew you require is subject to your location [as will be the dish
                                elevation and azimuth] and can be calculated using this site:

                                _http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm_ (http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm)

                                Regards,
                                John Tellick.
                                GEO.