Meteosat-8 HRV South Atlantic.

  • geojohnt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1 3:12 AM
      All,

      Interesting well defined 'wave clouds'(?) currently (11:00 GMT) at 54.4 deg.
      S - 3.3 deg. E. on the HRV image.

      Regards,
      John Tellick.

    • Tony Baldwin
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1 4:50 AM
        geojohnt@... wrote:

        >All,
        >
        >Interesting well defined 'wave clouds'(?) currently (11:00 GMT) at 54.4 deg.
        >S - 3.3 deg. E. on the HRV image.
        >
        >Regards,
        >John Tellick.

        The start of the wave appears to be over Bouvet Island, which has a
        height of 3,068 ft (935m).
        Is this similar mechanism to Von Karmen vortices ?

        Tony.
      • Peter Green
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1 12:15 PM
          John

          Thank you for the heads up on this, it is very interesting

          My atlas (Times Concise) has Discovery Tablemount in this area with a height
          of 671 feet I believe.

          Talking of Atlas's, anyone any recommendations on a really detailed Atlas?

          Regards,

          Pete

          Interesting well defined 'wave clouds'(?) currently (11:00 GMT) at 54.4
          deg.
          S - 3.3 deg. E. on the HRV image.

          Regards,
          John Tellick.

          http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/wxsat/glossary.htm

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          on the web.

          _____

        • geojohnt@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2 4:45 AM
            ei8jk@... writes:

            The start of the wave appears to be over Bouvet Island, which has a
            height of 3,068 ft (935m).
            Is this similar mechanism to Von Karmen vortices ?

            Tony,

            Thanks for that - I didn't have time to look up on the atlas but presumed it
            would be an island peak causing the cloud.

            I called them 'wave clouds' but not sure if they are not lee clouds? Yes, I
            think Von Karmen vortices just have to vortice - if you know what I mean.

            Regards,
            John.