Re: [MSG-1] Re: Ram disk and Tellique S/ware pros and cons

  • nigel heasman
    Message 1 of 154 , Jul 1 3:05 AM
      --- a_van_belle <a.van.belle@...> wrote:
      Hello Nigel and James,
      Sorry to hear about the problems you ran into when
      using a RAMdisk.
      Summer at full swing over here, we had a heat wave
      last week and now have thunder and showers, a place
      nearby registered 113 mm of rain last night !

      I fully tested the AR SOFT RAMdisk on both W2k and XP
      and have not seen any problems with this and system
      restore (Dutch XP pro Sp1)

      Microsoft does acknowledge that some RAMdisks can stop
      system restore however.
      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q257405

      Do you use the RAMdisk from:
      http://www.arsoft-online.de ?
      Goto Download, AR RAM Disk

      Better not tweak your registry but try to exclude your
      RAMdisk from system restore;
      Please note that I cannot test the settings below as
      the RAMdisk I use is automatically excluded from
      system restore.
      Goto Start, Control Panel, System which gives the
      System Properties dialog. Choose the "System Restore"
      tab. If the Status on the RAMdisk
      is shown as "Monitoring", you have to disable this.
      Select the drive and press "Settings..." now check
      "Turn off System Restore on this
      drive".
      (Thanks to David Taylor for the English menu's)

      And I do take all (except LRIT)Eumetcast data on my
      Receive PC (and David Taylor does too) so if you need
      a Missing Segments Report, let me know.

      Greetings,
      Arne van Belle
      Hi Arne,
      many thanks for your comments and uploading your
      article. Sorry about the delay in replying - have been
      busy on other things!

      I haven't yet reinstated the (ARSoft) RAM drive and am
      a bit wary of doing so until I have stable setup
      without it (XP Home Edition, SP2). The System Restore
      points are all back, since removing it!
      One interesting point is that, on my setup, the RAM
      drive (Z:) did NOT show up in the System Restore
      Settings, Available drives, screen so I was not able
      to stop it being monitored! But it certainly WAS
      causing the Restore Points to disappear.
      Changing the SkyStar USB receiver drivers, from
      v4.2.11 to v4.3.0 seems to have cured the "Blue Screen
      of Death" problem I had been plagued with, although I
      didn't have many missing segments with v4.2.11.
      Thanks again for your help.
      Hope you continue to have a good summer, without too
      much rain!
      regards
      Nigel
    • germain.schepens
      Message 154 of 154 , Aug 21, 2007
        [please snip unnecessary material - moderator]

        Hello verybody,
        Concerning the installation of the TT24000 I received the following
        adress to download the excellent tip from EUMETCAST Helpdesk:

        http://www.alblas.demon.nl/wsat/software/soft_msg.html
        I hope someone can us eit.

        Germain...

        [by the way, I can see no material on that page about the TT24000]