Re: Operating the two computers of a MSG-1 station with a single monitor-keyboard mouse

  • benoit.jean.paul
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 12:38 AM
      To a question posted on an another list, Dave Harris, Peter Benney, David
      Taylor, Guy (Tonbridge) and Ferdinand Valk have kindly answered, suggesting
      two solutions: a switching box or the use of RealVNC. Many thanks to them.
      I have downloaded RealVNC and tested it. It is a very clever piece of
      software. Apparently simple, it is installed in a eyeblick and works
      immediately.
      But it works with two OPERATING computers : I mean as far as the "server" is
      concerned, with Win2K loaded and ready.
      Alas, I have not been able to obtain the automatic and complete Win2K
      authentification and a password. Even if no password is requested (blank)
      the authentification is still necessary. Whatever Administrator, user,
      guest, etc." , I have still to click on OK (or press "Enter") ... using the
      monitor, keyboard and mouse of the server when my goal is the suppression
      of these devices.
      Once Win2K loaded, VNC loads automatically and woks immediately.
      The problem therefore is:
      How to TOTALLY load Win2K without any operator's intervention ? (Like WinXP
      does on the second computer).

      Cheers,

      Jean
    • agm@tonbridge-school.org
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 4:28 AM
        Jean,

        I'm a bit confused but I think you want your machine to boot straight into the GUI without the need for a username/password logon then:

        Settings_Control Panel_Users and Passwords
        I Think you have to select the user you wish to automatically logon as
        Untick the box 'Users must enter a password..........'
        Select the advanced tab
        Untick the box ' Require users to press ctl-alt-del.......'

        Cheers, Guy

        ---- Message from mailto:<benoit.jean.paul@... "benoit.jean.paul" <benoit.jean.paul@...> at 2005-04-01 10:38:33 ------

[...]

        Unsure what a term means?  Check the Glossary at:
        http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/wxsat/glossary.htm

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Harry H. Arends
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1 7:12 AM
          Hi Guy,

          This works fine for a Windows2000 workstation and WindowsXPprof but not for
          for the server systems and thats what Jean is asking.

          Harry

          _____

[...]

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Peter Hayes
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1 8:37 AM
            On 1 Apr 2005, at 16:12, Harry H. Arends wrote:

            > Hi Guy,
            >
            > This works fine for a Windows2000 workstation and WindowsXPprof but
            > not for
            > for the server systems and thats what Jean is asking.
            >
            > Harry

            He has "server" in inverted commas as if he means "slave" in the VNC
            context.

            He could just leave the W2K machine switched on all the time, assuming
            there's no security issues.

            Peter

            > _____

          • Harry H. Arends
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1 8:44 AM
              Yes Peter,

              But there is a problem when he uses the server unatented, if the server
              estarts after f.e. power breakdown.
              Then that server must restart en bring up all the programs that are in the
              startup menu.

              Harry

              _____

              On 1 Apr 2005, at 16:12, Harry H. Arends wrote:

              > Hi Guy,
              >
              > This works fine for a Windows2000 workstation and WindowsXPprof but
              > not for
              > for the server systems and thats what Jean is asking.
              >
              > Harry

              He has "server" in inverted commas as if he means "slave" in the VNC
              context.

              He could just leave the W2K machine switched on all the time, assuming
              there's no security issues.

              Peter

              > _____

            • Peter Green
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1 9:05 AM
                >if you can stand to reload WIN2K

                Then when it asks for the user, click the down arrow and it will reveal
                administrator, highlight this and click with no password entered. When 2K
                loads it will load up without asking for password etc, this is what I use.

                Regards & good luck

                Pete

                > concerned, with Win2K loaded and ready.
                > Alas, I have not been able to obtain the automatic and complete Win2K
                > authentification and a password. Even if no password is requested
                > (blank)
                > the authentification is still necessary. Whatever Administrator, user,
                > guest, etc." , I have still to click on OK (or press "Enter") ...
                > using the
                > monitor, keyboard and mouse of the server when my goal is the
                > suppression
                > of these devices.
                > Once Win2K loaded, VNC loads automatically and woks immediately.
                > The problem therefore is:
                > How to TOTALLY load Win2K without any operator's intervention ? (Like
                > WinXP
                > does on the second computer).

                > Unsure what a term means? Check the Glossary at:
                > http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/wxsat/glossary.htm
                >

                > _____
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                > Unsure what a term means? Check the Glossary at:
                > http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/wxsat/glossary.htm
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/wxsat/glossary.htm

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • a_van_belle
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1 11:43 AM
                  Hello Jean,

                  Taken from http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/3.3.7/winvnc.html#2

                  WinVNC can be made to run as a service process under both Windows
                  NT/2000/XP and Windows 95/98/ME, by following the instructions
                  outlined below. This allows you to connect to a machine which has
                  nobody logged in to it, for example. On NT/2000/XP, you can also send
                  Ctrl-Alt-Del to the server when it's running as a service, allowing
                  you to unlock a locked workstation, for example. Note that in
                  'service' mode, many features are changed on a per-machine rather than
                  per-user basis. You can access the per-machine defaults from the 'Show
                  Default Properties' section of RealVNC group in the Start... menu

                  This will probably solve your problem. But don't forget to change the
                  BIOS setting of the PC, disable "halt on all errors" or else the PC
                  will tell you: No keyboard detected, hit F1 to continue !
                  Some Windows versions also halt the boot process if a mouse could not
                  be detected !

                  By the way I use a enhanced version of VNC called tightVNC. It uses
                  compression encoding and is optimized for slow and medium-speed
                  connections and thus generates much less traffic as compared to
                  traditional VNC.
                  http://www.tightvnc.com/index.html

                  Good luck,
                  Arne van Belle
                • Harry H. Arends
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1 12:51 PM
                    Hi Arne,

                    Correct, i am using it on all my servers and non windows-xp systems.
                    You can even use it to restart a system from your notebook but be aware
                    if a process causes a system to hang VNC wont work and you have to go
                    to de server and reset it by hand.

                    Harry

                    _____