Re: [MSG-1] Meteosat-7 vis

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2004
      Lawrence wrote:
      > When I used to receive PDUS (Meteosat-7 high resolution data), there
      > was one notable variation. Each day at 1130UTC, the highest
      > resolution data would be transmitted - taking about 20 minutes or so.
      > Looking through the half-hourly jpeg sizes, my impression is that
      > this data is not transmitted as such over the EumetCast link, but is
      > always a reduced resolution version. Can anyone confirm this?
      >
      > Lawrence Harris

      Lawrence,

      It's the opposite - *every* Met-7 visible image is sent as 5000 x 5000
      pixels, i.e. the same full resolution as PDUS. The IR and WV images are
      2500 x 2500 pixels each. So with Met-7 you get more full-coverage visible
      pixels (25MP) but fewer IR and WV pixels (6.25MP) than with Met-8
      (13.8MP). Of course, HRV gives a potential image of 124MP (11136 x
      11136).

      SatSignal Software - quality software written to your requirements
      Web: http://www.satsignal.net
      Email: davidtaylor@...
    • Douglas Deans
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2004
        > > When I used to receive PDUS (Meteosat-7 high resolution data), there
        > > was one notable variation. Each day at 1130UTC, the highest
        > > resolution data would be transmitted - taking about 20 minutes or so.
        > > Looking through the half-hourly jpeg sizes, my impression is that
        > > this data is not transmitted as such over the EumetCast link, but is
        > > always a reduced resolution version. Can anyone confirm this?
        > >
        > > Lawrence Harris
        >
        > Lawrence,
        >
        > It's the opposite - *every* Met-7 visible image is sent as 5000 x 5000
        > pixels, i.e. the same full resolution as PDUS. The IR and WV images are
        > 2500 x 2500 pixels each. So with Met-7 you get more full-coverage visible
        > pixels (25MP) but fewer IR and WV pixels (6.25MP) than with Met-8
        > (13.8MP). Of course, HRV gives a potential image of 124MP (11136 x
        > 11136).
        >
        > Cheers,
        > David

        I wonder about this. Lawrence is right in that the 11.30 PDUS was a
        one-off (AV) basically 2 x VIS. When this is being sent it is not possible
        for the satellite to send a full disc IR or any WV, so sends a European
        sector IR.
        What I am not sure about is whether this limitation of the double VIS is the
        PDUS channel output or is also limited in the initial raw data. In which
        case our 'norm' via Eumetcast is the PDUS VIS and we never get the special
        11.30UTC 2 x VIS.
        Interesting.

        Regards
        Douglas.
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2004
          Douglas Deans wrote:
          []
          > I wonder about this. Lawrence is right in that the 11.30 PDUS was a
          > one-off (AV) basically 2 x VIS. When this is being sent it is not
          > possible for the satellite to send a full disc IR or any WV, so sends
          > a European sector IR.
          > What I am not sure about is whether this limitation of the double VIS
          > is the PDUS channel output or is also limited in the initial raw
          > data. In which case our 'norm' via Eumetcast is the PDUS VIS and we
          > never get the special
          > 11.30UTC 2 x VIS.
          > Interesting.
          >
          > Regards
          > Douglas.

          I think you will find we get *continuous* AV data - everything is full
          resolution.

          You are right about the PDUS transmission - the schedule at:

          <http://www.eumetsat.de/en/index.html?area=left7.html&body=/en/dps/dissemi
          nation.html&a=710&b=1&c=700&d=700&e=0>

          (or perhaps:
          http://www.eumetsat.de/en/dps/dissemination/schedules/schedule.txt)

          shows an AV transmission lasting most of the 30-minute slot. My belief is
          that this is a dissemination limit, not a raw data limit.

          SatSignal Software - quality software written to your requirements
          Web: http://www.satsignal.net
          Email: davidtaylor@...
        • James Brown
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 3, 2004
            At 43E 35N - didn't get images before 0830, but looks like another
            pipeline blast showing up all too well on MSG-1.
            James

            --
            James Brown
          • Douglas Deans
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 3, 2004
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 3, 2004
                Hi James,
                for those of us eagerly awaiting our keys and software
                (!!), could you post a picture for us to marvel at?
                Thanks!
                Nigel
                --- James Brown <satellite@...> wrote:

                ---------------------------------
                At 43E 35N - didn't get images before 0830, but looks
                like another
                pipeline blast showing up all too well on MSG-1.
                James

                --
                James Brown

                =====
                Greetings from Yahoo mail

              • James Brown
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 3, 2004
                  In message <20040803194438.15302.qmail@...>,
                  nigel heasman <nigel_heasman@...> writes
                  >Hi James,
                  >for those of us eagerly awaiting our keys and software
                  >(!!), could you post a picture for us to marvel at?
                  >Thanks!

                  Not a problem.

                  Got to:

                  www.meteosat.freeserve.co.uk

                  I've put a static picture up - just 41k. The movie is very nice, but a
                  bit big for the Freeserve site at 50mb! Processed using David's GSS4 and
                  captioned and converted to jpg etc. in Paint Shop Pro 8.

                  The other pictures are all MSG related.

                  Cheers,
                  James
                  --
                  James Brown
                • nigel heasman

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
                      The MSG GOES 12 image relay shows a definite eye to the tropical storm
                      off the Carolinas - has it now become a hurricane officially?

                      James
                      --
                      James Brown
                    • Douglas Deans
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
                        > The MSG GOES 12 image relay shows a definite eye to the tropical storm
                        > off the Carolinas - has it now become a hurricane officially?
                        >
                        > James
                        > --
                        > James Brown

                        Yes a category 2 hurricane (ALEX) early yesterday.

                        Regards
                        Douglas.
                      • James Brown
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004

                          >Yes a category 2 hurricane (ALEX) early yesterday.
                          >
                          >Regards
                          >Douglas.

                          Ah, thanks for that Douglas!
                          James
                          --
                          James Brown
                        • Robert Moore
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
                            Ground level photo on page 15 of 'The Guardian' August 24th.

                            Robert

                            ---------------

                            Robert Moore

                            44 (0) 1352 714456
                          • James Brown
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
                              In message <76160671.1091656744@...>, Robert Moore
                              <rsmoore@...> writes
                              >Ground level photo on page 15 of 'The Guardian' August 24th.
                              >
                              >Robert

                              Mentioned on the back page of the Telegraph as well - notice it is still
                              blazing today.

                              Thanks Robert,
                              James
                              --
                              James Brown
                            • Lawrence
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 6, 2004
                                I have obtained clarification from Eumetsat concerning my query about whether
                                the Meteosat-7 visible channel is actually transmitted as the equivalent AV
                                (full res) or the 'standard' PDUS 30-minutes HRI format AIVH. As far as I can
                                understand, every visible-light transmission via Meteosat-8 is the full AV
                                version.

                                Lawrence Harris