NATIVE/BSQ-format

  • simon_stisen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hi MSG-group

      I am a danish PhD-student working with MSG data. I have recieved
      some data from EUMETSAT, but I am considering getting a local
      reciever station. I need all metadata connected to the satellite
      images in the headers and trailers. I am working with the EUMETSAT
      NATIVE/BSQ format and would like to know if this data format is
      available through a DVB reception?

      And can you recieve only a subset of the total MSG-scan or do you
      select your subset through dataprocessing?

      Kind regards

      Simon Stisen
    • Arne van Belle
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
        Hello Simon,

        Eumetcast DVB does not send Native/BSQ files.
        It uses Wavelet Transform compression technique and images are segmented in "packets"

        Because DVB uses streaming technique, you can only select a certain stream using a PID's.
        We have the HRIT stream, LRIT and EARS/ATOVS/RSS stream.

        Afterwards you will have to filter out the desired channels.

        For more info look at:
        http://www.eumetsat.de/en/area2/publications/td15.pdf
        and
        http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/msg_dm.htm

        The good news is that equipment used is "standard TV sat receive" stuff and for educational use, the required license is free.
        But you have to register at Eumetsat and buy the Tellique client and EncryptionKeyUnit once (60 + 40 Euro).
        Some countries do charge a registration fee however (Germany and Spain ?)
        You will have to ask at your national license manager.
        Carsten Simonsen, Danish Meteorological Institute Denmark, email: cs@ dmi .dk

        For the registration form look at:
        http://www.eumetsat.de/en/dps/helpdesk/registration/pdf/eumetcast_reg01.pdf

        Greetings,
        Arne van Belle
        Co-ordinator Radio Observers Werkgroep Kunstmanen
        The Netherlands