Once missing - all found!

  • Lawrence
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
      I am surprised but pleased to note that since upgrading the software and
      installing the dongle, I have had very few missing segments. Nothing
      else has changed on the receive computer. I wonder whether this is
      entirely coincidental?

      Lawrence H
    • David Taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
        --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence <lawrence@a...> wrote:
        > I am surprised but pleased to note that since upgrading the
        software and installing the dongle, I have had very few missing
        segments. Nothing else has changed on the receive computer. I
        wonder whether this is entirely coincidental?

        > Lawrence H

        Excellent news, Lawrence.

        TQRECV 2.3.1 is supposedly slightly better that 2.3.0a at not
        missing segments. I found that the SkyStar drivers V4.2.8 were a
        disaster with the eToken V3.0, and I recommend people stay on
        V4.2.2. I am now using eToken V3.5.1.

      • Luca Bertagnolio
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
          David,

          --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor" <david-taylor@b...>
          wrote:
          > TQRECV 2.3.1 is supposedly slightly better that 2.3.0a at not
          > missing segments. I found that the SkyStar drivers V4.2.8 were a
          > disaster with the eToken V3.0, and I recommend people stay on
          > V4.2.2. I am now using eToken V3.5.1.

          still waiting for my eToken, but with Tellique 2.3.1 and the 4.2.8
          SkyStar2 drivers on a single-PC setup not a single dropped segment in
          the last 24 hours.

          Bye, Luca
        • David Taylor
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
            --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Luca Bertagnolio" <lucaberta@y...>
            wrote:
            []
            > still waiting for my eToken, but with Tellique 2.3.1 and the 4.2.8
            SkyStar2 drivers on a single-PC setup not a single dropped segment
            in the last 24 hours.

            > Bye, Luca

            That's good to hear, Luca.

            My results were from early on during the trials period, and since
            then there have been a number of adjustments to the way that files
            are served, and the realisation about issues with a large Tellique
            cache size (i.e. requiring small .FSY files). These changes should
            have reduced the chance of missing segments.

            I did find that adding the eToken was a disaster (as you may recall)
            and the system frequently stopped working with the eToken enabled
            (the eToken light went out, and the Tellique software hung). The
            period it was up would range from minutes to hours, and it was no
            obvious what the problems were. I was supplied with a replacement
            eToken, but to no effect. I eventually completely replaced that
            system with another (different physical PC) but the problems only
            completely went away when I put the eToken on a short extension
            cable.

            Having said that, the original eToken is now working in another
            system (SkyStar PCI card V2.3, V4.2.2 drivers, tqrecv V2.3.1), and
            the replacement eToken is working without problem in the replacement
            system (SkyStar V2.6B PCI card, V4.2.2 drivers, tqrecv V3.2.1). So
            it is all a little bit of a mystery....

            I did also note that the CPU load with the later software was much
            higher than with the earlier software. That, also, has never been
            explained.....

            Ciao,