New group

  • Douglas Deans
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 22 12:38 AM
      Good idea for non DJT software related topics.
      Wish it success.

      Douglas.
    • Timestep
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 22 12:47 AM
        From: Dave Cawley
        Timestep Dartmouth England
        e-mail Information@...
        Web site http://www.Time-step.com
        Tel. +44 (0)1803 833366
        Fax. +44 (0)1803 839498

        Hardware is better discussed on Timestep-L, so is this group just for
        Tellique ??

        Confused, but enthusiastic !

        Dave
      • Guy Martin
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 22 12:59 AM
          Anything to do with MSG I'd have thought, hardware, software whether djt or other, info. Then no need to send same msg to several groups.

          Guy

          Hardware is better discussed on Timestep-L, so is this group just for
          Tellique ??

          Confused, but enthusiastic !

          Dave

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • David Taylor
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 22 1:05 AM
            > Hardware is better discussed on Timestep-L, so is this group just
            for
            > Tellique ??
            >
            > Confused, but enthusiastic !
            >
            > Dave

            Dave,

            The current remit of the group is ..

            -----------------------------
            For users of the Eumetsat MSG-1 weather satellite. The group's aim
            is to provide a dedicated area for sharing information about the
            hardware and software for receiving MSG-1 data, the satellite and
            its facilities, and topics relating to the current trials. Related
            groups include rig-l for general remote imaging topics and SatSignal
            for users of David Taylor's weather satellite software, and topics
            which are more appropriate for those groups are inappropriate here.
            -----------------------------

            .. and is open for discussion.

            As some people are using hardware other than Timestep's, there is no
            need to clutter your group with off-topic issues. I would guess
            that Tellique software and payment methods might be one area but
            there's much more...

            - how the HRV scan is operated
            - perhaps we could post the News and Regular Report messages for
            those who don't yet have operational systems (copyright issues?)
            - missing segment "contests"
            - multi-spectral processing techniques with all those channels
            available
            - sample results
            - required dish sizes

            I would prefer to keep specific discussion of my software on the
            SatSignal group, though, and general remote imaging topics on the
            rig-l group. I guess there may be overlapping areas so we'll just
            see what everyone wants!

          • Ulrich G. Kliegis
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 22 1:18 AM
              On 22 Aug 2003 at 8:38, Douglas Deans wrote:

              > Good idea for non DJT software related topics.
              > Wish it success.
              >
              > Douglas.

              Hi crowd ;)

              Me too :) It seems I was the first to enlist this morning. Wow. My MSG
              frontend is in the make.

              From the MSG official site, I understand that it was originally intended to use
              the new bird itself for the propagation of the data now sent from hotbird. Is
              that right? Would it have been the same format?
              Will there be a redistribution from a future Meteosat like in the past (of
              course with the new data format)?

              Regards,

              Ulli (who started listening to the APT chirp of Meteosat 2 or 3, won't
              remember right now...)
            • David Taylor
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 22 1:29 AM
                > From the MSG official site, I understand that it was originally
                intended to use
                > the new bird itself for the propagation of the data now sent from
                hotbird. Is
                > that right? Would it have been the same format?
                > Will there be a redistribution from a future Meteosat like in the
                past (of
                > course with the new data format)?

                Ulli,

                Yes, at some point in the future MSG-2 and MSG-3 (I already feel off-
                topic!) will disseminate directly, and the file format will be the
                same, but it will require different hardware and receiver processing
                software before you can get to those files. I get the impression,
                though, that the present dissemination via Hotbird and soon the C-
                band satellite has made things a little easier for Eumetsat, and a
                lot cheaper for the users, so likely the DVB dissemination will
                remain. That's my reading of the situation.

              • Lawrence
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 22 1:43 AM
                  On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:29:16 -0000, you wrote:

                  >Ulli,

                  snip
                  >software before you can get to those files. I get the impression,
                  >though, that the present dissemination via Hotbird and soon the C-
                  >band satellite has made things a little easier for Eumetsat, and a
                  >lot cheaper for the users, so likely the DVB dissemination will
                  >remain. That's my reading of the situation.
                  >
                  >Cheers,
                  >David

                  Hello David and Ulli

                  It is interesting to wonder why the DVB HotBird transmission was not
                  originally planned. I suppose that the idea of doing it this way was
                  not even thought about, yet the cost implications for the user are the
                  difference between receiving it and not receiving it. Not to mention
                  trying to install a huge dish for HRIT.

                  We may never know.

                  Lawrence
                • David Taylor
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 22 1:49 AM
                    > It is interesting to wonder why the DVB HotBird transmission was
                    not originally planned. I suppose that the idea of doing it this
                    way was not even thought about, yet the cost implications for the
                    user are the difference between receiving it and not receiving it.
                    Not to mention trying to install a huge dish for HRIT.

                    > We may never know.

                    Lawrence,

                    My history with MSG-1 doesn't go back far enough! At the time when
                    MSG-1 was being planned, were there even any satellites providing
                    any digital transmissions for domestic users? It was all analog
                    until quite recently wasn't it? So no cheap Technisat cards! We
                    should all thank that power amplifier that failed!

                  • Luca Bertagnolio
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 22 2:05 AM
                      David,

                      true enough, for us lucky ones that live in the footprint of Hotbird. I have good result with a 40cm dish (when it's not windy or rainy!)

                      The C-band setup is definitely much more expensive that the Ku-band one. But again, since most stations are here in Europe, that's a good way to feed the data.

                      Regarding future DVB data streams, I have no doubts it's going to be like this for a long long while, there will be enough bitching about changing the dish from the old Met7 to the new setup, and by the time we will get the new MSG birds maybe everything will be on the Internet...

                      Bye, Luca

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 22 2:10 AM
                        On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:49:01 -0000, you wrote:

                        >Lawrence,
                        >
                        >My history with MSG-1 doesn't go back far enough! At the time when
                        >MSG-1 was being planned, were there even any satellites providing
                        >any digital transmissions for domestic users? It was all analog
                        >until quite recently wasn't it? So no cheap Technisat cards! We
                        >should all thank that power amplifier that failed!
                        >
                        >Cheers,
                        >David

                        Essentially, the NOAA polar orbiters provide digital (h.r.p.t.)
                        telemetry even if (as must be the case) the original optical image is
                        sampled digitally for coding and transmission. I would think of PDUS as
                        being all but digital - I think that it is a matter of different
                        definitions. MSG-1 is simply an 'all-digital' satellite as compared to
                        Meteosat-7 and earlier sats being a mixture.

                        I set up a PDUS system and operated it until we moved to Southampton. I
                        am only now beginning to dismantle the 1.8m dish because I cannot now
                        see it being used.

                        regards

                        Lawrence
                      • Luca Bertagnolio
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 22 2:14 AM
                          Lawrence,

                          I would try to see if a 1.8m dish would be enough to receive MSG-1 in C-band from Atlantic Bird, if I were you. Just pure curiosity, as I think that the data is an exact bit dump of the HotBird data.

                          Actually, I am quite convinced that the Fucino uplink station in Italy receives HotBird, dissects the DVB data and then feeds it up to Atlantic Bird, as simple as that. No need to get into the weeds of the DVB payload, just copy bits!

                          Bye, Luca