Re: [MSG-1] RAM disk

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 3, 2013
      Can anyone oblige me with a download copy of the setup information to edit
      the Tellicast files to make it recognise and opetate the Z: RAM disk please.
      Have downloaded and installed the drive but have two conflicting versions of
      instructions. Running Win XP. Thanks - chris
      ========================

      Chris,

      You will find my information for Windows Vista and later here:

      http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/Dexatek/RAMdisk.html

      I hope you can read that across to Win-XP. There's also a somewhat older
      document which was published in the GEO Quarterly here:

      http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/RAMdisk.pdf

    • Alan Banks
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 4, 2013
        On 03/07/2013 18:21, advent331620 wrote:
        > Can anyone oblige me with a download copy of the setup information to edit the Tellicast files to make it recognise and opetate the Z: RAM disk please. Have downloaded and installed the drive but have two conflicting versions of instructions. Running Win XP. Thanks - chris

        Hi Chris
        Try these.
        > http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/recv.ini.html
        and
        > http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/recv-channels.ini.html
        Cheers
        Alan
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 4, 2013
          From: Alan Banks

          Hi Chris
          Try these.
          > http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/recv.ini.html
          and
          > http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/recv-channels.ini.html
          Cheers
          Alan

          Alan,

          Thanks for posting that. May I suggest:

          - in recv.ini, the tmp_directory should be defined, and it should be in the
          same disk partition as the received directories, so in your case something
          like:

          [parameters]
          tmp_directory=D:\temp

          Ensure the directory exists and has full access.

          I would also remove all the commented out stuff from recv-channels.ini to
          make things clearer. You may find you have unexpected entries! For what
          it's worth, my own sample files look something like this:

          http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/recv.ini.txt
          http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/recv-channels.ini.txt

          These files are for:
          # EUMETCast directory: C:\EUMETCast\
          # Received files: C:\EUMETcast\received\
          # In-reception files: C:\EUMETcast\temp\
          # 300 MB RAMdisk drive: Z:
          # Only some sample channels are shown

          If you can keep the EUMETCast data to a separate physical disk (as your
          drive D: may be) so much the better, but /don't/ use a separate partition on
          the same physical disk (e.g. another partition on the physical disk where
          your C:\Windows\ resides - that just causes more disk head movement between
          the partitions. It is important to remove the catch-all [*] entry in
          recv-channels.ini, as you demonstrate, otherwise your system can easily
          become overloaded with unwanted data.

          After a new install, I copy the recv.ini and recv-channels.ini to a safe
          location for a reference.

        • Alan Banks
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 4, 2013
            On 04/07/2013 08:15, David J Taylor wrote:
            > From: Alan Banks

            > Alan,
            >
            > Thanks for posting that. May I suggest:
            >
            > - in recv.ini, the tmp_directory should be defined, and it should be in the
            > same disk partition as the received directories, so in your case something
            > like:
            >
            > [parameters]
            > tmp_directory=D:\temp

            Hi David
            In my instance all the tellicast stuff and receive folders are on the
            one physical hard drive, and nothing else.
            The tmp directory is in the Tellicast folder therefore isn't specified.
            Works very well.
            Processed data goes to another hard drive and there is a separate system
            hard drive for Win 7 64 bit.
            I had more or less the same with win xp
            Agree about tidying the # lines.

            Alan
          • Alan Banks
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 4, 2013
              On 04/07/2013 08:15, David J Taylor wrote:
              > From: Alan Banks
              >
              > Hi Chris
              > Try these.
              >> http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/recv.ini.html
              > and
              >> http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/recv-channels.ini.html

              Now tidied up!

              Alan
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 4, 2013
                Hi David
                In my instance all the tellicast stuff and receive folders are on the
                one physical hard drive, and nothing else.
                The tmp directory is in the Tellicast folder therefore isn't specified.
                Works very well.
                Processed data goes to another hard drive and there is a separate system
                hard drive for Win 7 64 bit.
                I had more or less the same with win xp
                Agree about tidying the # lines.

                Alan
                ====================================

                Alan,

                That's not the case with the tmp_directory. If it's not defined, a
                tmp_directory is not used, which means that TelliCast builds up the output
                file in situ, and if the file takes a long time to build (some can take more
                than an hour) you may access it before it is ready. That's why specifying a
                tmp_directory is important, and it's much easier to do that in recv.ini
                where you can define it for all streams at the same time.

                An aside: if some streams are doing to a different disk drive, the
                tmp_directory for those streams should point to the same disk. Not many
                folk use that configuration, though.

                Having the processed data and system on two separate physical drives,
                separate from the EUMETCast \received\ tree, is an excellent configuration.
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 4, 2013
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 5, 2013
                    On 04/07/2013 19:15, David J Taylor wrote:
                    > Hi David
                    > In my instance all the tellicast stuff and receive folders are on the
                    > one physical hard drive, and nothing else.
                    > The tmp directory is in the Tellicast folder therefore isn't specified.
                    > Works very well.
                    > Processed data goes to another hard drive and there is a separate system
                    > hard drive for Win 7 64 bit.
                    > I had more or less the same with win xp
                    > Agree about tidying the # lines.
                    >
                    > Alan
                    > ====================================
                    >
                    > Alan,
                    >
                    > That's not the case with the tmp_directory. If it's not defined, a
                    > tmp_directory is not used, which means that TelliCast builds up the output
                    > file in situ, and if the file takes a long time to build (some can take more
                    > than an hour) you may access it before it is ready.
                    Sorry
                    The 'full' path isn't specified as its in the same folder as Tellicast.
                    This is the default set by the initial setup.
                    Alan
                  • Alan Banks
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 5, 2013
                      On 04/07/2013 19:15, David J Taylor wrote:
                      > ---
                      >
                      > Thanks, Alan.
                      >
                      > Looks neater, doesn't it? You might still want to remove all the commented
                      > entries at the end, though. For example, you have a tmp_directory entry
                      > under EPS-18, but it's not obvious because of the comment lines. Here it is
                      > with the comments and blank lines removed:
                      >
                      > [EPS-18]
                      > target_directory=D:\EPSreceived\EPS18
                      > tmp_directory=tmp
                      >

                      > Cheers,
                      > David
                      Hi
                      You must be seeing an unrefreshed page?!
                      Alan
                      The commented out channels are so I can add or subtract easily.
                      Alan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 5, 2013
                        Sorry
                        The 'full' path isn't specified as its in the same folder as Tellicast.
                        This is the default set by the initial setup.
                        Alan
                        =======================

                        Alan,

                        My point is that the default is to have /no/ tmp_directory, which is why I
                        suggest you specify it in recv.ini, and be sure to point it to the same
                        physical drive as the \received\ directory tree.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 5, 2013
                          Hi
                          You must be seeing an unrefreshed page?!
                          Alan
                          The commented out channels are so I can add or subtract easily.
                          Alan
                          =============================

                          Yes, I checked just now and it has changed with a Ctrl-F5. I still find the
                          spacing confusing compared to a plain text file - you might use a <BR> after
                          the channel section headers rather than a <P>. The tmp_directory at the top
                          does nothing, since it's not in a named section. It should be in the
                          appropriate section of recv.ini if it's intended to be a catch-all entry.

                          For the spacing, compare the clarity of these two:

                          http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/recv-channels.ini.html
                          http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/recv-channels.ini.txt

                        • alanjamesbanks
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 5, 2013
                            --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:
                            The tmp_directory at the top
                            > does nothing, since it's not in a named section. It should be in the
                            > appropriate section of recv.ini if it's intended to be a catch-all entry.

                            After 7 years of EUMETCast I hadn't caught that one and never had an issue.
                            As regards the web the html was very old and not updated. Have done as you and replaced with txt files