RAM disk

  • advent331620
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 3 11:21 AM
      Can anyone oblige me with a download copy of the setup information to edit the Tellicast files to make it recognise and opetate the Z: RAM disk please. Have downloaded and installed the drive but have two conflicting versions of instructions. Running Win XP. Thanks - chris
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 3 11:50 AM
        Can anyone oblige me with a download copy of the setup information to edit
        the Tellicast files to make it recognise and opetate the Z: RAM disk please.
        Have downloaded and installed the drive but have two conflicting versions of
        instructions. Running Win XP. Thanks - chris
        ========================

        Chris,

        You will find my information for Windows Vista and later here:

        http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/Dexatek/RAMdisk.html

        I hope you can read that across to Win-XP. There's also a somewhat older
        document which was published in the GEO Quarterly here:

        http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/RAMdisk.pdf

      • Alan Banks
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 4 12:01 AM
          On 03/07/2013 18:21, advent331620 wrote:
          > Can anyone oblige me with a download copy of the setup information to edit the Tellicast files to make it recognise and opetate the Z: RAM disk please. Have downloaded and installed the drive but have two conflicting versions of instructions. Running Win XP. Thanks - chris

          Hi Chris
          Try these.
          > http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/recv.ini.html
          and
          > http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/recv-channels.ini.html
          Cheers
          Alan
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 4 1:15 AM
            From: Alan Banks

            Hi Chris
            Try these.
            > http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/recv.ini.html
            and
            > http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/recv-channels.ini.html
            Cheers
            Alan

            Alan,

            Thanks for posting that. May I suggest:

            - in recv.ini, the tmp_directory should be defined, and it should be in the
            same disk partition as the received directories, so in your case something
            like:

            [parameters]
            tmp_directory=D:\temp

            Ensure the directory exists and has full access.

            I would also remove all the commented out stuff from recv-channels.ini to
            make things clearer. You may find you have unexpected entries! For what
            it's worth, my own sample files look something like this:

            http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/recv.ini.txt
            http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/recv-channels.ini.txt

            These files are for:
            # EUMETCast directory: C:\EUMETCast\
            # Received files: C:\EUMETcast\received\
            # In-reception files: C:\EUMETcast\temp\
            # 300 MB RAMdisk drive: Z:
            # Only some sample channels are shown

            If you can keep the EUMETCast data to a separate physical disk (as your
            drive D: may be) so much the better, but /don't/ use a separate partition on
            the same physical disk (e.g. another partition on the physical disk where
            your C:\Windows\ resides - that just causes more disk head movement between
            the partitions. It is important to remove the catch-all [*] entry in
            recv-channels.ini, as you demonstrate, otherwise your system can easily
            become overloaded with unwanted data.

            After a new install, I copy the recv.ini and recv-channels.ini to a safe
            location for a reference.

          • Alan Banks
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 4 5:03 AM
              On 04/07/2013 08:15, David J Taylor wrote:
              > From: Alan Banks

              > Alan,
              >
              > Thanks for posting that. May I suggest:
              >
              > - in recv.ini, the tmp_directory should be defined, and it should be in the
              > same disk partition as the received directories, so in your case something
              > like:
              >
              > [parameters]
              > tmp_directory=D:\temp

              Hi David
              In my instance all the tellicast stuff and receive folders are on the
              one physical hard drive, and nothing else.
              The tmp directory is in the Tellicast folder therefore isn't specified.
              Works very well.
              Processed data goes to another hard drive and there is a separate system
              hard drive for Win 7 64 bit.
              I had more or less the same with win xp
              Agree about tidying the # lines.

              Alan
            • Alan Banks
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 4 5:17 AM
                On 04/07/2013 08:15, David J Taylor wrote:
                > From: Alan Banks
                >
                > Hi Chris
                > Try these.
                >> http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/recv.ini.html
                > and
                >> http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/recv-channels.ini.html

                Now tidied up!

                Alan
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 4 12:15 PM
                  Hi David
                  In my instance all the tellicast stuff and receive folders are on the
                  one physical hard drive, and nothing else.
                  The tmp directory is in the Tellicast folder therefore isn't specified.
                  Works very well.
                  Processed data goes to another hard drive and there is a separate system
                  hard drive for Win 7 64 bit.
                  I had more or less the same with win xp
                  Agree about tidying the # lines.

                  Alan
                  ====================================

                  Alan,

                  That's not the case with the tmp_directory. If it's not defined, a
                  tmp_directory is not used, which means that TelliCast builds up the output
                  file in situ, and if the file takes a long time to build (some can take more
                  than an hour) you may access it before it is ready. That's why specifying a
                  tmp_directory is important, and it's much easier to do that in recv.ini
                  where you can define it for all streams at the same time.

                  An aside: if some streams are doing to a different disk drive, the
                  tmp_directory for those streams should point to the same disk. Not many
                  folk use that configuration, though.

                  Having the processed data and system on two separate physical drives,
                  separate from the EUMETCast \received\ tree, is an excellent configuration.
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 4 12:15 PM
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 5 12:14 AM
                      On 04/07/2013 19:15, David J Taylor wrote:
                      > Hi David
                      > In my instance all the tellicast stuff and receive folders are on the
                      > one physical hard drive, and nothing else.
                      > The tmp directory is in the Tellicast folder therefore isn't specified.
                      > Works very well.
                      > Processed data goes to another hard drive and there is a separate system
                      > hard drive for Win 7 64 bit.
                      > I had more or less the same with win xp
                      > Agree about tidying the # lines.
                      >
                      > Alan
                      > ====================================
                      >
                      > Alan,
                      >
                      > That's not the case with the tmp_directory. If it's not defined, a
                      > tmp_directory is not used, which means that TelliCast builds up the output
                      > file in situ, and if the file takes a long time to build (some can take more
                      > than an hour) you may access it before it is ready.
                      Sorry
                      The 'full' path isn't specified as its in the same folder as Tellicast.
                      This is the default set by the initial setup.
                      Alan
                    • Alan Banks
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 5 12:52 AM
                        On 04/07/2013 19:15, David J Taylor wrote:
                        > ---
                        >
                        > Thanks, Alan.
                        >
                        > Looks neater, doesn't it? You might still want to remove all the commented
                        > entries at the end, though. For example, you have a tmp_directory entry
                        > under EPS-18, but it's not obvious because of the comment lines. Here it is
                        > with the comments and blank lines removed:
                        >
                        > [EPS-18]
                        > target_directory=D:\EPSreceived\EPS18
                        > tmp_directory=tmp
                        >

                        > Cheers,
                        > David
                        Hi
                        You must be seeing an unrefreshed page?!
                        Alan
                        The commented out channels are so I can add or subtract easily.
                        Alan
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 5 3:15 AM
                          Sorry
                          The 'full' path isn't specified as its in the same folder as Tellicast.
                          This is the default set by the initial setup.
                          Alan
                          =======================

                          Alan,

                          My point is that the default is to have /no/ tmp_directory, which is why I
                          suggest you specify it in recv.ini, and be sure to point it to the same
                          physical drive as the \received\ directory tree.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 5 3:20 AM
                            Hi
                            You must be seeing an unrefreshed page?!
                            Alan
                            The commented out channels are so I can add or subtract easily.
                            Alan
                            =============================

                            Yes, I checked just now and it has changed with a Ctrl-F5. I still find the
                            spacing confusing compared to a plain text file - you might use a <BR> after
                            the channel section headers rather than a <P>. The tmp_directory at the top
                            does nothing, since it's not in a named section. It should be in the
                            appropriate section of recv.ini if it's intended to be a catch-all entry.

                            For the spacing, compare the clarity of these two:

                            http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/recv-channels.ini.html
                            http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/recv-channels.ini.txt

                          • alanjamesbanks
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 5 11:21 AM
                              --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:
                              The tmp_directory at the top
                              > does nothing, since it's not in a named section. It should be in the
                              > appropriate section of recv.ini if it's intended to be a catch-all entry.

                              After 7 years of EUMETCast I hadn't caught that one and never had an issue.
                              As regards the web the html was very old and not updated. Have done as you and replaced with txt files