Re: [rapid-scan] Met-9

  • Douglas Deans
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 24, 2013
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Ian Deans
      Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2013 9:09 AM
      To: Rapid-Scan
      Cc: MSG-1
      Subject: [rapid-scan] Met-9

      It looks like Met-9 has developed a “wobble” as well now. The AVI’s have
      had a noticeable shake for at least 48 hours.

      It is difficult to see on the animations covering a wide area, but on
      close-ups and the expanded AVI’s it is a real nuisance.

      Regards
      Ian.

      Yes disappointing. I am seeing this as well.
      No confirmation as to whether it is the same thing (low fuel movement) as
      Meteosat 8 has.
      Hopefully not, at this early stage in Meteosat 9's RSS life.

      Regards,
      Douglas.
    • Simon Proud
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 24, 2013
        I suspect this is due to the co-location of the sun along the equator.
        Looking at the raw data it's clear that the HRV strips are aligned using
        Earth horizon mode rather than sun sensing mode (same as MSG-1) and that
        makes them harder to process into the L15 images.
        If that's correct then it'll fix itself in time. I also vaguely remember
        that this happened with the MSG-1 RSS during solar co-location even before
        it developed the sensor problem. Fingers crossed!

        Cheers,
        Simon