Re: [MSG-1] Strange memory loss

  • Ulrich G. Kliegis
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2013
      David,

      thanks for that advice. I guess that's the reason. I am not sure if the system actually
      restarted unattendedly, I could check the log files. But since I am sure that I did not
      stop this instance of msgdm (why stop a running system? :) ) I'll cycle it though a
      controlled exit and manual restart right now.

      Since the system runs flawlessly otherwise, there was absolutely no reason to
      restore it. So, that can be ruled out too.

      Thanks again for your advice!

      Cheers,
      U.

      An: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
      Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
      Datum: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 07:21:14 -0000
      Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] Strange memory loss
      Antwort an: MSG-1@yahoogroups.com

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2013
        David,

        thanks for that advice. I guess that's the reason. I am not sure if the
        system actually
        restarted unattendedly, I could check the log files. But since I am sure
        that I did not
        stop this instance of msgdm (why stop a running system? :) ) I'll cycle it
        though a
        controlled exit and manual restart right now.

        Since the system runs flawlessly otherwise, there was absolutely no reason
        restore it. So, that can be ruled out too.

        Thanks again for your advice!

        Cheers,
        U.

        Ulrich,

        You could look for event 6005 in the Windows System event log. I have a
        preset query which does that on the Windows-7 systems.

        One point I should make is that the MSG Data Manager will try and handle a
        Windows shutdown elegantly, by saving its images, and saving its settings.
        Windows sends a message to all running programs that it is closing down.
        Depending on how many images you have, it could take 20-30 seconds for the
        MSG Data Manager to close down completely. A system crash is not an elegant
        shutdown, though!